Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you run it?

Options
  • 10-05-2010 9:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭

Hi guy's can anyone suggest any sites like can you run it .com as the game I'm trying to check is not on their list. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

We can probably tell you ourselves if you tell us the specs of your machine, the resolution of your monitor and the game you're trying to play. Most of those sites base the ability of your machine on the recommended specs of a game anyways and so can be misleading at best or wildly inaccurate at worst.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 anto_c20

We can probably tell you ourselves if you tell us the specs of your machine, the resolution of your monitor and the game you're trying to play. Most of those sites base the ability of your machine on the recommended specs of a game anyways and so can be misleading at best or wildly inaccurate at worst.

Yeah, he is right.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

If your not sure, you probably can't run it :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

Thanks guy's but you will have to excuse my ignorance, but I'm a bit of a console head and use my Laptop for little more than playing some games and browsing the internet. In short i haven't a bog about my laptops spec but this is what i could come up with.
    For starters it's a Dell Inspiron 9400......and thats about it:o
    Thats a bit sad isn't it?
    Lets see what else. In system properties it say's CPU T2400@ 1.83GHz 1.83GHz,2.00GB RAM
    I can't seem to find what graphics or sound card it has.
    The Game is the new Splinter cell sorry for the lack of info and thanks again guy's.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Someone needs to read the thread.
    And it's not me.

The easiest way to find out about your graphics card (for me) is to go to Start>Run>Type "DXDiag"
    There, there will be a number of tabs, the first will tell you about your Processor, OS, RAM and so forth, the next 'Display' will give you info on your graphics card.
    There are sound tabs too, but I don't think a soundcard would stop you running a game.

Someone needs to read the thread.
    And it's not me.

The easiest way to find out about your graphics card (for me) is to go to Start>Run>Type "DXDiag"
    There, there will be a number of tabs, the first will tell you about your Processor, OS, RAM and so forth, the next 'Display' will give you info on your graphics card.
    There are sound tabs too, but I don't think a soundcard would stop you running a game.

Thats great.
    OK so i have an ATI Mobility Radeon X1400, 2046MB RAM,Processor T2400@ 1.83GHz (2CPUs) and DirectX version 9.0c.
    I don't know if it means anything but i can play Crysis on the machine without any problems,But i bought Empire Total War last year and cannot run that properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

You're ok in the cpu and ram departments, but minimum supported gpu is x1800. A mobilility x1400 is well below that, but it really depends on the game how far you can scale back the detail to suit the hardware. I'm guessing they're saying an x1800 as that's roughly the power you'd see in an xbox360. I haven't seen very many people online trying different cards outside the recommendations, possibly since ubisoft isn't the most popular at the moment.

I would be inclined to say no simply because the minimum GPU listed for this game is an x1900 and because your card is a mobility version which is a slightly cut down version of the desktop card.

In saying that it would be dependent upon the resolution you're gaming at as well, if you're content to run at a non-native resolution (say 800x600) then it might just be playable but I wouldn't count on it. Unfortunately ubisoft in their infinite wisdom haven't even released a demo to let you try the game before purchase. In this case I would give the game a miss and maybe get Splinter Cell Chaos Theory instead, a much better game and guaranteed to work (assuming you haven't played it already).

Everything else is okay it's just going to be the gpu which will hamper you're ability to play more recent games.

Am i right in saying that a Laptop cannot be upgraded,and by that i mean the graphics card etc?

• Advertisement

There's very little can be done to upgrade a laptop bar adding RAM or changing a hard-drive. There have been attempts in the past to use cards which could be upgraded further down the line but I don't know if any companies still support this.

Ok i guess thats that then thanks for all the replies guy's.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,462 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

+1 for Chaos Theory. Only played the demo for SC:C and found it meh.

Not to mention that the new SC game requires an unbroken connection to the internet to work. (Somehow they think this will prevent piracy)

If you're a console head you might be better off getting it on your console. Assuming you have an xbox.

Advertisement