Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Actually liscensed handgun owners

Options
  • 10-05-2010 9:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭

Question for you folks.
    How many people who have been granted their firearms certs after their court cases,now actually have them and are out shooting again?
    Also how long did it take for your CS to issue after being told to do so after the DC told him/her to do so?

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

120 views and no return posts?
    Does that mean that for everyone here on Boards who have appealed.NO ONE has got their cert back in their hands,their handguns in their possession ,or know of anyone in that situation and is out shooting again???:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Very scary the silence on this one!

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Don't sweat it Grizz

On boards there is usually about a 5-10% posting rule. For every 10 views a thread gets only 1 will actually post if you're lucky. This fluctuates obviously but is something I have noticed

So that's 12 people who MIGHT have posted. Now what % of those even have a pistol and what % of those were willing to go to court to keep it.

I'd say pretty much none.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Vegeta wrote: »
    Don't sweat it Grizz

On boards there is usually about a 5-10% posting rule. For every 10 views a thread gets only 1 will actually post if you're lucky. This fluctuates obviously but is something I have noticed

So that's 12 people who MIGHT have posted. Now what % of those even have a pistol and what % of those were willing to go to court to keep it.

I'd say pretty much none.

On the posts thing, i started a thread 111 views 5 or 6 replies.
    I don't know anybody who was refused in my Jurisdiction as we all had interviews, i think one guy had to limit himself from 3 to 2 as he had a 22 40 and a 45 and he was allowed keep 2/3 which he went with AFAIK.

I got to keep mine and everybody i heard before or since did same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

There are evidently very few pistol shooters on boards - at least very few centrefire pistol shooters.

I got my license for a c/f pistol without any hassle (bit of a delay but nothing new in that) and without any need to resort to the courts - I know of a few more who are in the same boat - most of the people I know are still awaiting their appeal - most of the people in the country are still awaiting their appeal - of those that have appealed and got a result thus far the majority would seem be in the south and not denizens of the board.

Your best bet would be to go to the range and see who is there.

There are plenty of competitions around if you want to attend some of them and see who is there - I have found that the last thing people want to talk about, however. is the shocking state of our licensing system. If they have their licenses then they want to shoot. They are fed up talking. Those that do not have their licenses just want their licenses so they can shoot and are also fed up talking.

So - while you await the paperwork - head down to your club and see what you can do to help out around the place - I'm sure they could do with the help after having to pay such a high price to register themselves and their range and it will stop you from fidgeting while the wait goes on.

B'Man

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Myself and my father got ours. After handing in a phonebook of paperwork that was requested and a delay on mine due to lost paperwork.

I don't know the amount of people fighting their cases in court, but i know of alot of people still awaiting word of any sort. Long after the expiry of their extension. So take into account the number of:

A) People granted on the merits of their application.
    B) People still awaiting a response.
    C) People awaiting second or third interview.
    D) People fighting their refusal/awaiting a court case.
    E) People refused and acceptng their refusal.
    F) People that surrendered their firearms of their own accord. (There are some).

Its a fairly diverse crowd and not to mention those that simply do not/will not comment on their license status. Its hard to pin down an exact number.

Just my opinion. Could be way off.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Bananaman wrote: »
    There are evidently very few pistol shooters on boards - at least very few centrefire pistol shooters.
    Possibly; but there are very few pistol shooters in Ireland and even fewer of those are centerfire pistol shooters, at least when compared with the number of licences overall (IIRC, it was what, 1,500 out of 220,000? That's less than half a percent, and that's for all pistols; I'd guesstimate that half those would be centerfire, at best).

Given those figures, I think we might have a disproportionately higher number of pistol shooters in here than you'd find from a truly random sample of the community.

On the original post's point, my pistol's an air pistol, so I didn't have to go to court to keep it (but I'm still shooting with it).

Sparks wrote: »
    Possibly; but there are very few pistol shooters in Ireland and even fewer of those are centerfire pistol shooters, at least when compared with the number of licences overall (IIRC, it was what, 1,500 out of 220,000? That's less than half a percent, and that's for all pistols; I'd guesstimate that half those would be centerfire, at best).

Given those figures, I think we might have a disproportionately higher number of pistol shooters in here than you'd find from a truly random sample of the community.

On the original post's point, my pistol's an air pistol, so I didn't have to go to court to keep it (but I'm still shooting with it).

I never thought i'd be in the top 1% :D
    I agree Sparks, I had very few to ask for advise when I was renewing/applying as very little had a centrefire or a dirtier word a glock!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

22 licenced here too - no issues ;)

I never thought i'd be in the top 1% :D
    Who said it was the top 1 percent? :D

Who said it was the top 1 percent? :D

I thought you did sparky or even less than 1/2 a %:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Wonder do we classify now under EU and UN law as a persecuted minority??We do have our own culture[gun culture as pointed out by the Govt and media],traditions,belifs,and are being persecuted and discriminated by an oppressive regime.:rolleyes:

I thought you did sparky or even less than 1/2 a %:D:D
    No, no, I said it as _a_ percent, not the top percent :D

No, no, I said it as _a_ percent, not the top percent :D

Ah once I have mine I don't mind if it's the top or bottom %

I know I'm just an adverage joe bloggs but I'm happy with that.
    And i also know i am in shape, ROUND is a shape ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭BELOWaverageIQ

LB6 wrote: »
    22 licenced here too - no issues ;)

Same

Advertisement