Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats Williamstown like?

Options
  • 10-05-2010 10:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Just wondering what the town of Williamstown is like? Am looking to move to west of Ireland and property seems fairly reasonable there at the moment. Just wondering what its like- pubs, going out etc Thanks for the help

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Tuamlad

****HOLE!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Tillerman08

Any reason why?

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭paulusdu

Some people think everywhere is a ****Hole. :)

Wiliamstown is nice enough, its not far from Knock, its close enough to Tuam, Its pretty small so i am not sure the night life is that active, but i'm not from there so i could be wrong. I've stopped off there a few times, and its a nice spot, lovely countryside around it.
    Best bet if you are moving to the west of ireland is to take some time off and stay in the areas you are interested in for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I have friends from there, it's a fairly small village. You'll probably want to travel into Tuam or some other town to do your shopping as it'll be allot more expensive buying in the Williamstown petrol station. So your going to need a car to get about.

If your looking for the quite life and don't mind being a blow in for a while it's no worse than any other small village.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭King Mallie

Its a hole. Nothing in it. Miles away from decent shop and no night life.
    Avoid at all costs:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Theponylady

It's far away from everything, and calling it a "town" is really stretching things... It's cheap to buy houses and land there, because not many people want to live that far from amenities. There's no easy way to get anywhere from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dec25532

Just wondering what the town of Williamstown is like? Am looking to move to west of Ireland and property seems fairly reasonable there at the moment. Just wondering what its like- pubs, going out etc Thanks for the help

Reasonable in comparison to what? Any property in a north Galway village or town is reasonably priced. Williamstown is grand but nothing in it. There is one main shop and petrol pumps, three or four pubs and that is it. They have a strong GAA club and fine facilities but not a place you would really want to live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

15 mins from dunmore where theres ships etc...
    tuamlad ill say no more!

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭fergalfrog

If you are thinking of moving to Williamstown you should spend at least a few days/nights to see what you make of it.

I moved to Williamstown and spent over a year and a half there having lived in the middle of a big city for 7 years prior to that. I have since moved on but my in-laws are from there and so I am there a fair bit.

It all depends what you are looking for. To some people there will be nothing there but to others it will have everything they want. To get more constructive advice other than "it's a hole" have a look at:

http://www.williamstown.ie

Like any town of it's size in the West of Ireland it has the left overs of the Celtic tiger and you won't be moving there for the spectacular scenery or the non-stop party night-life. However if you're looking for quiet, country living and cheap rent it will be fine.

Oh and unlike lots of towns it's size after a struggle it has good DSL broadband!

PM me if I can help further.

mink_man wrote: »
    15 mins from dunmore where theres ships etc...
    tuamlad ill say no more!
    Ships? Are you thinking of another Dunmore, there are 4 or 5 of them. I think it may be one of the most generic town names in the country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭fergalfrog

You wouldn't have much use for a ship in Dunmore, Go. Galway anway.

fergalfrog wrote: »
    You wouldn't have much use for a ship in Dunmore, Go. Galway anway.
    It would be a nice distraction to look at while you pass through the town. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Tillerman08

Thanks for the info....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

i meant shops, ya know look at the keyboard, i is beside o...fools

Advertisement