Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Rent Allowance Ballymun

Options
  • 10-05-2010 10:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 410 ✭✭

I recently found out that the HSE is no longer granting rent supplement for any property in the Ballymun area. I am appalled to here that the HSE would discriminate against so many people in this way.

Ok, so I understand there thinking behind it. Ballymun is looking to the future trying to create a town centre and residential hot spot. To do that you need to have a mixture of residents in the area if the majority of the population are in recipient of social welfare they risk the chance of repeating history.

However, to totally cease rent supplement in the area is ridiculous and down right discriminative. Many people need to be housed in the area for a number of reasons. One of those being the need for points on the Dublin Corporation housing list.

The average wait for a corporation house in Dublin is 10 years, those who do not reside in the area where they wish to be housed receive less points delaying their chances. Considering that a large majority of those receiving rent supplement are doing so until they are housed by Dublin Corporation.

Totally unfair and discriminative!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

flynnc8 wrote: »
    the HSE is no longer granting rent supplement for any property in the Ballymun area

Do you have a link to this source? It doesn't sound believable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 410 ✭✭flynnc8

can't find anything online, I was at the community welfare office in Ballymun this morning and notices are all over the place. The legislation came into effect November 2009. Those already in recipient of the rent supplement are not effected. Apparently the government aim to do the same in areas of Limerick and Waterford accordingly the the welfare officer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

It has been in place for years because the residents are getting transferred to swanky new gaffs afaik. I think it's under discussion again as to whether it'll be continued with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

It's to mix people up more and stop areas from becoming gettoised and ecomnomic blackspots.

Wow, this is shocking. So if I'm renting in the Ballymun area and I lose my job and need job seeker's benefit with rent allowance, I'm not entitled, despite the fact that I've never claimed dole and have loads of tax credits built up? Maybe I'm not grasping it properly but this sounds ridiculous!

• Advertisement

thats exactly right cosmic.. It is ridiculous. I've searched online for hours to find details of the legislation, but thus far I found nothing.

All my information has came from the community welfare officer for the Balcurris area who is based in the Ballymun civic centre. I have mentioned in my opening post the reason for the introduction of the legislation.

If anyone does come across anything online or in the media please let me know. I have also emailed to of my local TD's to get their views on the issue. I am yet to receive a reply.

jdivision wrote: »
    It has been in place for years because the residents are getting transferred to swanky new gaffs afaik. I think it's under discussion again as to whether it'll be continued with.

division it has only been introduced since November 2009. The rent supplement in question is that for private renting in the area not corporation housing. Obviously residents of the flats in Ballymun are priority for new built homes. If they can not access rent allowance they are forced to leave their communities. This makes no sense to me as the regeneration was established for the residents and the area.

This new legislations means that the majority of people taken up private rentals in Ballymun will most likely have no history in the area. It also forces families in to situations of over crowding due to the lack of access to suitable accommodation in the area.

thats exactly right cosmic.. It is ridiculous

I am genuinely shocked by this. Stupid stupid stupid government :mad:

cosmic wrote: »
    I am genuinely shocked by this. Stupid stupid stupid government :mad:

Dito...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

It was an an attempt at some socio economic cleansing by BRL...make sure that the local ballymunners wouldnt pollute their new properties.

I think it's all dying on it's arse though, landlords are taking anyone in at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭douglashyde

Drumcondra is down the road from Ballymun and is a really nice area.

Ballymun on the other hand is a horrible spot full of crime.

There can't be this massive contrast in different areas - While this kind of legislation mind be unlucky for some, it doesn't change the fact that it was a step in the right direction.

maybe we should start sticking council housing out in drumcondra and give ballymunners priority access to it, get some mixing of the social classes going out there too..

step in the right direction me bollix.

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭douglashyde

Bambi wrote: »
    maybe we should start sticking council housing out in drumcondra and give ballymunners priority access to it, get some mixing of the social classes going out there too..

What would you have us do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭Guitareaxe

Really now, "social classes!"?

You do know Ireland is not part of the UK anymore don't you?

There are no social classes, just good and bad people.
    I grew up in that area, does that make me of a lesser class then you??

Please be more aware of what your saying, its insulting to many to use the term social classes.

I am a "Ballymunner" and so is my family.

Pray tell, good sir, from what great house does your family hail? because if your Irish, your a descendent of peasants and slaves, Like me and every other Irish person.

Thankfully most humans, have evolved beyond of the feudalist mindset about 100 years ago. This country is a republic, I despise when people refer to the population of certain areas as people of different social classes.

I am from Ballymun. I never robbed a car, sold drugs etc and I would bet I probably a much higher degree of education then you.

Guitareaxe wrote: »
    Really now, "social classes!"?

You do know Ireland is not part of the UK anymore don't you?

There are no social classes, just good and bad people.
    I grew up in that area, does that make me of a lesser class then you??

Please be more aware of what your saying, its insulting to many to use the term social classes.

I am a "Ballymunner" and so is my family.

Pray tell, good sir, from what great house does your family hail? because if your Irish, your a descendent of peasants and slaves, Like me and every other Irish person.

Thankfully most humans, have evolved beyond of the feudalist mindset about 100 years ago. This country is a republic, I despise when people refer to the population of certain areas as people of different social classes.

I am from Ballymun. I never robbed a car, sold drugs etc and I would bet I probably a much higher degree of education then you.

I was born and reared in Ballymun and still live here so do me a favour and brush up on yer reading comprehension

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭Guitareaxe

Well in that case I shall eat my words ;) i humbly retract my rant ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

I recently found out that the HSE is no longer granting rent supplement for any property in the Ballymun area. I am appalled to here that the HSE would discriminate against so many people in this way.

Ok, so I understand there thinking behind it. Ballymun is looking to the future trying to create a town centre and residential hot spot. To do that you need to have a mixture of residents in the area if the majority of the population are in recipient of social welfare they risk the chance of repeating history.

However, to totally cease rent supplement in the area is ridiculous and down right discriminative. Many people need to be housed in the area for a number of reasons. One of those being the need for points on the Dublin Corporation housing list.

The average wait for a corporation house in Dublin is 10 years, those who do not reside in the area where they wish to be housed receive less points delaying their chances. Considering that a large majority of those receiving rent supplement are doing so until they are housed by Dublin Corporation.

Totally unfair and discriminative!!!!

lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

I was born and reared in Ballymun and still live here so do me a favour and brush up on yer reading comprehension

I don't understand this. What does you growing up in Ballymun have to do with his reading comprehnsion skills? Is there a book out about you that he should have read first before replying to your post?

Frankly I think It's a move in the right direction and hopefully will remove some of the negativey Ballymun has gained in the previous years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Dorothea Lawler

It is disgraceful to think our government allowed this to happen. It is everyone's civil right to be able to access rent allowance no matter where you live in the Country. How dare they stop Irish civilians to claim tent allowance in Ballymun. Thai has to be unconstitutional. Is there anyone on here who would know the law surrounding this issue??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

It is disgraceful to think our government allowed this to happen. It is everyone's civil right to be able to access rent allowance no matter where you live in the Country. How dare they stop Irish civilians to claim tent allowance in Ballymun. Thai has to be unconstitutional. Is there anyone on here who would know the law surrounding this issue??

How is it disgraceful? The Government is trying to change an area with traditionally high levels of crime and unemployment, into a better area to live. If it means a small amount of people cant live there, I believe and a majority of people would argee, its a fair compromise. There is plenty of other areas someone on rent allowance can choose to live in. Its hard to argue, thats its unfair that you are receiving a handout from the state and they wont let you choose the area you want to live.

There is such a sense of entitlement with state benefits in this country.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Please don't bump up four year old threads.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement