Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin LOI Clubs

• 10-05-2010 10:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭

OK I dont want to cause an argument first of all! :D

A non Irish friend of mine has asked me where the fanbases of the Dublin based premiership teams are from Roughly

Im not a Dub so genuinely dont know. Can anyone help?

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Bohs generally would be Phibsboro, Cabra, Finglas and Drumcondra/Glasnevin to a certain extent.

Even though I'm from Santry myself :)

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Madworld

Bohs generally would be Phibsboro, Cabra, Finglas and Drumcondra/Glasnevin to a certain extent.

And Blanch. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Shels are from the Ringsend area, and many of our fans are from around that area, including Pearse Street and that part of town.

But Shels left Ringsend years ago, and so did many families from that area when the re-housing to the suburbs started, and so, many second or third generation Shels fans are from all over the city, and beyond (there is one Shels fan on these boards called LeixlipRed for instance).

Now we're in Drumcondra, and seem to attract fans from that area and places to the North and East of it, out as far as Malahide and Portmarnock (I'm from Coolock originally, and I now live in Finglas, which is a bit of a Bohs area I suppose, I've seen Bohs jersies and tops around for sure). With Bohs spread in a more Westerly direction. The two grounds are quite close though, so there will be overlap. It's Bohs traditional area though, they are a Northside club and have always been based in Phibsboro.

Shels' reach to the North County will obviously fall a bit not, with Fingal there and involved in the community.

I don't know the geography of the Southside well enough to comment about Pats, but I assume Rovers' move to Tallaght will impinge somewhat on their catchment area.

There are Rovers fans all over, but again, they are from in and around the same area as Shels, and so there will be a natural spread as families were uprooted and moved in previous generations.

UCD's patch seems to be UCD :)

And if you are including Sporting Fingal as a "Dublin" club, then Fingal is what used to be called North County Dublin. Swords out to Balbriggan and towns in between like Rush, Lusk, Donabate etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Obviously Rovers also take in a lot of the south Dublin suburbs since the Milltown days. And from my experience, Tallaght was always Rovers territory- even before the club moved out there.

I personally think of Pat's territory as being Ballyer, Clondalkin, Bluebell, Inchicore, Crumlin, Drimnagh and so on.

As Des said though, the big Dublin clubs will generally have support scattered all over, not least because people may be less likely to live where they were brought up these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Madworld

Bohs: Phibsboro, Cabra, Finglas, Drumcondra,Glasnevin, North Inner City

Rovers: Tallaght, Clondakin, Lucan, Miltown, Dundrum, Balinteer

Shels: Drumcondra, East Wall, Glasnevin, Ringsend, Irishtown

Pats: Inchicore, South Inner City, Ballyfermot, Palmerstown, Driminagh

UCD: Nobody really apart from a few ex students

Fingal: Nobody really apart from a few who get free tickets.

Bray: Shankhill

• Advertisement

I'd say Rovers and Shels have more influence in South Inner City than Pats tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Lollymcd

Not strictly Dublin but since someone mentioned Bray in the last post I'm going to mention Drogheda United in this one! Fanbase is mainly the South Louth area, though they have at least one fan in Dublin 1!!! :)

Des wrote: »
    I'd say Rovers and Shels have more influence in South Inner City than Pats tbh

Gavin = Traitor to Pat's? :pac:

The town of Drogheda itself extends into Co Meath, and Hunky Dorey Park (:D) is a lot closer to Balbriggan than it is to Santry. Also, people from Balbriggan sound more like people from Louth than proper Dubs too. I wonder do Drogs have any supporters in NCD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

We have the whole St francis area of the inner city :p

• Advertisement

stovelid wrote: »

And look at me living in finglas, I better paint some black stripes onto my Shels jersey.

Actually, if Hunky Dorey Park starts getting them Hunkey Dorey Rugby girls on a regular basis, I think I might start supporting Drogs. The local girls, not so much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Don't forget dublin 6w

The town of Drogheda itself extends into Co Meath, and Hunky Dorey Park (:D) is a lot closer to Balbriggan than it is to Santry. Also, people from Balbriggan sound more like people from Louth than proper Dubs too. I wonder do Drogs have any supporters in NCD

I don't get the Santry reference... but I can be incredibly slow at times! AFAIK there are a number of Balbriggan Drogs, not sure if it's Drogheda families which have moved to Balbriggan or if we're just so wonderful that we're drawing crowds from afar ...:p

Lollymcd wrote: »
    I don't get the Santry reference... but I can be incredibly slow at times! AFAIK there are a number of Balbriggan Drogs, not sure if it's Drogheda families which have moved to Balbriggan or if we're just so wonderful that we're drawing crowds from afar ...:p

Sporting Fingal play in the Santry Siro, which I assume is further from Balbriggan than Hunkey Dorey Park.

And look at me living in finglas, I better paint some black stripes onto my Shels jersey.

My last job was literally in the shadow of Dalyer. Plus I lived in Finglas for a spell once. I've done my time on the other side, you might say. :D

My last job was literally in the shadow of Dalyer. Plus I lived in Finglas once. I've done my time on the other side, you might say. :D

You're about as well travelled as your club, you could say.

Where in Finglas were you living?

Where in Finglas were you living?

Shared a house over there ages ago. Near the end of the Rathoath Road. At the Cabra end, basically.

Sporting Fingal play in the Santry Siro, which I assume is further from Balbriggan than Hunkey Dorey Park.

Ah yes, get you now! Brunette moment! I thought you were saying Balbriggan was closer to Drogheda than Santry was (close to Drogheda)... which seemed a no brained!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

:D My dad was a culchie who moved to Dublin, got into the LoI because he mate played for Pats, dad went to their games, then his mate moved to Shels and my dad went to Shels matches and then his mate moved to Drogs and my dad stuck supporting the Reds, this was back in the 80's.

Back to the OP's question though, The Liberties has Cork, Derry, Shels, Bohs, Rovers, Pats and that's only people I've seen/know.:eek:

Shared a house over there ages ago. Near the end of the Rathoath Road. At the Cabra end, basically.

Ah, I'm at the other end of the same road, before Dunsink Lane.

• Advertisement

Ah, I'm at the other end of the same road, before Dunsink Lane.

Ah right, I wasn't very far from Dunsink Lane. I used to go for a run up there before they blocked it off. This is going back about 7 years now, mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

thanks for your answers .. clear as mud :P

as for the Drogheda fan getting lost in the thread .. lol

I tried to explain there was a fair bit of moving about so it wasnt clear .. anyhoo thanks for the input

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,828 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

From what I've seen, Bohs have a fair few fans floating around Clontarf, although it's not really a LOI area.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I've even noticed a brave but unfortunate individual sporting a Bohs shirt on a 77A heading from the Square :eek:

"Staunch" club areas though for me..Blanchardstown for Bohs, Ballyfermot for Pats, Dundrum/Rathfarnham for Rovers...as for Shels, I suppose Drumcondra/Santry now.

dfx- wrote: »
    I've even noticed a brave but unfortunate individual sporting a Bohs shirt on a 77A heading from the Square :eek:

Could be worse. Could be the 77. :pac:

I've spotted a guy (with kids) around the square once or twice usually wearing a Bohs shirt. Maybe the same fella.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

I live just outside Dun Laoghaire and I see lots wearing Rovers and Bray gear.

Lots of Bray gear?

Are you telling fibs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

Not at all. Believe me, it surprised me too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

There's a lot of Rovers fans around the Shankhill, Ballybrack area.

• Advertisement
Advertisement