Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A bet to be settled....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,681 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Dave! wrote: »
    Pretty determined about this aren't you Lloyd?

ya he has his own agenda anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

One small step for Liverpool fans, one massive step to restoring this forums credibility...

I would be ****ing delighted if I never had to read his nonsense again.

The mods should just ban him to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,831 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Headshot wrote: »
    so you honestly think he should get unban just so he can post in the sf where the original ban is ?

what's the point of a ban ?

id see it as one perfectly viable option given that the bet was centred around the forum in the first place yes.
    tell me, what is your alternative solution?

edit: point of note, i said temp un-ban.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

papagormo wrote: »
    id see it as one perfectly viable option given that the bet was centred around the forum in the first place yes.
    PM's between the two interested parties.

papagormo wrote: »

so bans mean nothing to you ?

there's no alternative, unless CHD signs up to another account and posts in the sf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Dave! wrote: »
    Pretty determined about this aren't you Lloyd?
    ya he has his own agenda anyway

My agenda is the precise opposite to your agenda. Boggles bit off more than he could chew this time round, and should go as a result. The forum would be a better place without him in my opinion - and I've never been shy sharing that opinion.

Anyway, considering his posting history I've no doubt he'll welsh, that's just how he rolls.

LuckyLloyd wrote:
    Anyway, considering his posting history I've no doubt he'll welsh, that's just how he rolls.
    I think you're wrong :p

Mr Alan wrote: »
    I think you're wrong :p

Believe me when I say that I hope I am wrong! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Boggles for president :)

• Advertisement

there's no alternative, unless CHD signs up to another account and posts in the sf

CHD is offline currently, I'll post up a comment on his behalf when he sees the thread (just the one obv).

PM's between the two interested parties.
    another perfectly viable option yes.

if u see no alternative then fine, u are fully entitled to your opinion on the matter.
    i wouldnt go along with that trail of thought personally, id be more in favour of temp un-ban, or pm between the two parties.
    but neither u nor i have a say in the matter so lets leave it up to the powers that be shall we.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    My agenda is the precise opposite to your agenda. Boggles bit off more than he could chew this time round, and should go as a result. The forum would be a better place without him in my opinion - and I've never been shy sharing that opinion.

same could be said about your or even me

all about a opinions, i enjoy boggles posts

concerning welshing, People in glass houses should not throw stones and all that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

This is all a bit pathetic, fair enough you may not like his posts but why not ignore?

Personally no matter how annoying a poster, I don't they deserve to be kicked off the forum, ok this was a bet, but the campaign here from certain posters and their display of support for him leaving over his posts is quite cowardly.

same could be said about your or even me

all about a opinions, i enjoy boggles posts

concerning welshing, People in glass houses should not throw stones and all that

If you can find a bet I welshed on, post it here!

Smegball wrote: »
    This is all a bit pathetic, fair enough you may not like his posts but why not ignore?

Personally no matter how annoying a poster, I don't they deserve to be kicked off the forum, ok this was a bet, but the campaign here from certain posters and their display of support for him leaving over his posts is quite cowardly.

tbh i hate CHD but if he was in the same instances I would stick up for him too

its certain posters have an agenda and they're voicing it here, kinda bullying tbh, CHD offered boggles a buy out but they're ignoring that and trying to get a sf member banned

oh i wasnt talking about betting, something else altogether, but i rather not cause an argument so forget about it

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I think he is confusing a bet with a statement of intent that you went back on.

You can't welch on a statement you make about yourself , although you can do the opposite of what you say you will ;)

Smegball wrote: »

Cowardly? I'm not implying or subtly hinting at things here. Any regular users of this forum and the moderating team would be fully aware that I feel Boggles diminishes the quality of this forum, and that I have been in favour of him leaving it for quite some time.

I'm just calling it as I see it, not hiding behind anything here.

What drew me to this thread though is not Boggles leaving the forum as an issue in itself - I was aware of this bet and didn't post once about it in here over the weekend - it was the attempt to fudge the fact that the bet had defined terms, and has been lost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

A bet is a bet, there's no way around it. If you lose, you pay up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Sorry, was away there for a bit.

I can't speak for CHD right now, as of this second... but I presume he'll contact me (or someone else) and let us know!

in fairness, the mods here have **** all to do with it (no offence lads :)). its outside their remit. i've lost a couple of bets on this forum in the past (incl 50 thats getting sent to a forum member tomorrow), its hardly like the mods are gonna come kick down my door if i don't pay it, however if i were to back out of the bet, i'd expect some stick, that's all people are saying here in the main, personally i don't think Boggles will back out so its all a little pointless. if he stops posting-**** it, he made a bet, fair play for sticking to it. If he doesn't, he can expect stick for it & rightly so. if he pays the forfeit to charity, fair enough.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Personally I don't care if Boggles stays or goes, though I'd rather he was able to stick around, but CHD being banned does not affect the bet.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

oh i wasnt talking about betting, something else altogether, but i rather not cause an argument so forget about it

No you weren't. You were talking about me saying I wouldn't post on boards.ie again after I was demodded. I knew that, as did everyone else.

If Boggles had made a declaration that he would leave the forum if Utd lost the league and not stuck to it / stuck to it I wouldn't have cared.

But a bet is an entirely different matter, because in the event of Utd winning the league it would have place certain obligations on the other party involved. It is that fact that makes welshing on agreed bets / signed contracts something that is looked down on in general society.

I claimed I would do something in the heat of the moment, and I didn't do it. If I had stuck to it it wouldn't have affected anyone else on this forum, or placed certain obligations upon them. You dig?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

It's not surprising the fact most people who want him gone are mainly gambling/poker players themselves. Welching on a bet is about as scummy a thing you can do imo and most people who gamble will agree and I think that's the issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Typical United arrogance has bitten him in the ass... brilliant!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

It's not surprising the fact most people who want him gone are mainly gambling/poker players themselves. Welching on a bet is about as scummy a thing you can do imo and most people who gamble will agree and I think that's the issue.

As a friend and colleague of CHD, I will be obviously backing him 100%, no doubt about it.

But also there is a principle here; a bet is a bet. Welching out on a bet is a horrible thing to do, and people who do that are rightfully derided and looked down upon.

I know for a fact that if United had won the league, CHD, once his ban had expired, would have upheld his side of the bargain and never posted again. He told me as much and I believe him.

i hate to be a broken record, there's enough in this thread already but I do find it funny that nearly all posters are ignoring this quote "Yeah it is on. If I win Boggles can buyout for €50/€100 donation to charity. Anyway enough Hi - Jackaments."

but they think they smell blood and going in for the kill, quite pathetic

DazMarz wrote: »
    I know for a fact that if United had won the league, CHD, once his ban had expired, would have upheld his side of the bargain and never posted again. He told me as much and I believe him.

There is no doubt about this tbh, sure he posted as much numerous times over the past few months.

i hate to be a broken record, there's enough in this thread already but I do find it funny that nearly all posters are ignoring this quote "Yeah it is on. If I win Boggles can buyout for €50/€100 donation to charity. Anyway enough Hi - Jackaments."

but they think they smell blood and going in for the kill, quite pathetic

Yeah, Boggles can choose to buyout if he wants. Or he could not buyout and swallow the agreed terms. Or he can just welsh. I think the three options can be ranked pretty easily in terms of their credibility...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,014 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

A bet is a bet, it was a stupid bet as I know both of them love posting here. You never bet with something you don't want to lose.

I'm sure they can come to some other arrangement. I'm not a fan of Boggles but I'd hate to see anybody who puts a lot of effort in(even if there is a lot of trolling) not posting here forever.

Maybe CHD could settle for Boggles not posting for a certain amount of time like say until next January and not posting about anything to do with Liverpool and Chelsea. That would mean major hardship for Boggles imo but at least he could be here.

Welching is not good though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

i reckon we all stop speculating and p*ssing each other off until Boggles says something; either by PM to someone or posting in this thread.

it's between him and CHD; not the rest of us really.

so we can't go anywhere with this until either one of them says something.

• Advertisement

Yeah, Boggles can choose to buyout if he wants. Or he could not buyout and swallow the agreed terms. Or he can just welsh. I think the three options can be ranked pretty easily in terms of their credibility...

lol

you do really hate boggles dont ya, ****ing pathetic stuff, hell i cant stand CHD either but i wouldnt sink to your level of wanting a poster out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,014 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

lol

you do really hate boggles dont ya, ****ing pathetic stuff, hell i cant stand CHD either but i wouldnt sink to your level of wanting a poster out.
    You are the one that seems unreasonable here tbh.

Headshot wrote:
    ****ing pathetic stuff, hell i cant stand CHD either but i wouldnt sink to your level of wanting a poster out.
    Wat are ya talking about?! i hope boggles stays, but there is nothing 'low' about prefering if a poster didn't post here. There's quite a few i'd be happy if they weren't here anymore, boggles would presumably prefer if CHD wasn't here anymore considerin he made the bet in the first place. Get down off your high-horse.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I think if Boggles posts a receipt for an online donation to SVdP or similar for €75 (split the difference) then that will and should be the end of it imo.

Probably the best solution all round.

eagle eye wrote: »
    You are the one that seems unreasonable here tbh.

please. if you cant see the venom behinds certains posters post, then there's no helping you
    Wat are ya talking about, i hope boggles stays, but there is nothing unreasonable about prefering he a poster didn't post here. There's quite a few i'd be happy if they weren't here anymore, boggles presumably prefer if Chd Wasn't here anymore considering if made the bet in the first place. Get down off your gighorse

come on alan its a vindictive crusade to get a poster out who they hate out , LL case in point wants boggles gone when he was mod but couldn't he's using this opportunity now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

come on alan its a vindictive crusade to get a poster out who they hate out ,

TBH Boggles got himself into this position

there is nothing overly vindictive about it, boggles posting style is focused around annoying rival fans, a lot. shock horror that they want to see him follow through on a bet in which he said he would leave the forum. is that really surprising?

live by the sword, die by the sword

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

This thread is hilarious as is the way others are ganging up on a guy who hasn't even made a comment in the thread. Talk about vendettas. At least Mr. Alan's 1:54am post calls it like it is and isn't some haughty baloney about the honour of upholding bets.

I agree with SlickRic. It's between Boggles and CHD.

I don't generally like people welching on bets myself but an internet bet is about as signficant as an internet girlfriend. Unreliable and you can't brag about it to your friends.

• Advertisement

lol

Yes (his posts that is*). So what? I don't go in for the passive aggressive / subtle hinting game. I prefer to be straight up about who and what I like / don't like. Things move faster that way.

*Never met the man. He could well be a nice guy / competent professional in real life. But his posts are pure poison.

TBH Boggles got himself into this position

yap he certainly bee but posters like to ignore the buyout and go for the ban

just being vindictive
    there is nothing overly vindictive about it, boggles posting style is focused around annoying rival fans, a lot. shock horror that they want to see him follow through on a bet in which he said he would leave the forum. is that really surprising?

I could give you some quotes from pool fans liking boggles, I read the pool thread alot and i always find boggles posts a good read but that's my opinion.
    Yes (his posts that is). So what? I don't go in for the passive aggressive / subtle hinting game. I prefer to be straight up about who and what I like / don't like. Things move faster that way.

what if other pool fans or sf members like his post?

edit
    you know this is betwee boggles and CHD, so im done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

I hereby declare silly Season now officially open :D

World cup is a month away so I presume it going to be 14% idle transfer/management speculation; 3% Fulham in the UEFA; 7% World Cup speculation; 6% local LOIness; and the remainder massive amounts of guff

I still want to see Des's poem.

I don't generally like people welching on bets myself but an internet bet is about as signficant as an internet girlfriend. Unreliable and you can't brag about it to your friends.

How dare you question the sanctity of the internet girlfriend????:D
    Appalling carry-on.

Headshot wrote:
    I read the pool thread alot and i always find boggles posts a good read but that's my opinion.
    I'm gonna presume that's a joke and say goodnight also.

I could give you some quotes from pool fans liking boggles, I read the pool thread alot and i always find boggles posts a good read but that's my opinion.

edit
    you know this is betwee boggles and CHD, so im done

Are you suggesting we ask the Pool or other Sf members for their opinion on Boggles as it relates to whether he should stay or go??? :eek::eek::eek:

• Advertisement

Again, irrelevant to how I see things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

One thing that is certain is that the logic skills of Liverpool fans are certainly superior to those of United fans.

One thing that is certain is that the logic skills of Liverpool fans are certainly superior to those of United fans.

That's cos we believe in the Facts;)

Believe in the Facts and you will be free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Wanna bet? :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

Holsten wrote: »
    Typical United arrogance has bitten him in the ass... brilliant!

If United had won the league would typical Chelsea arrogance have bitten CHD in the ass?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement