Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are tools so expensive in Dublin?

Options
  • 10-05-2010 11:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭

Why are tools so expensive in Dublin, what kind of mark up are these guys making ?

Or is it just a case of the being a lack of irish distributors and them having to pay for delivery from uk distributors?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

What tools are you looking for excatly? All depends on what you want and where your going for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭JoeB-

I don't know, but I have wondered about it.

To be honest, with the parking situation and all that, I just don't have the time to go to bricks and mortar tool shops, so instead I buy online from the UK, where it's much cheaper.

They're probably charging what they can get away with, and it might not be fair to say they are all charging a lot, some crowds seem pretty competative..

The killer though is that the online UK crowds always do special offers ehich are hard to beat.. recently I bought the Makita LS1013 sliding miter saw on special for 350 pounds plus VAT.. it'd cost about 700 Euro plus VAT here.. delivery was about 15.

I think the Irish retailers need to get onto the internet, where most tools are sold.. people expect good websites, with technical specs etc, exact model numbers, and delivery spec, i.e how many batteries etc, is there a case?, any free accessories?.. I wouldn't make a choice without complete info, which means I have to shop in the UK... does anyone know of any Irish website with detailed specs?

I can't see distribution costs being a huge factor... especially on the smaller items, like screwguns and jigsaws.. possibly the manufacturers or distributors do charge more, I'm not sure.

I've spent about 12K on tools in the last five years, most of which has gone to the UK... which is unpatriotic.. but Ireland Inc gets it back through carosuel VAT fraud which our government does nothing about, and Ireland refuses to extradite a member of government to the UK on criminal charges over this... so Ireland wins in the end, he he... but if Irish tool shops did a bit more they might get more buisness...

Having said all that, the Irish market is small.. so the UK guys have 15 times as many customers.. and they know they'll also get our business..

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Swift66

Hey Joe Ballantine, any chance you could give a for dummies version of the carousel vat fraud , whats going on there, cheers

Advertisement