Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

importing from uk

• 10-05-2010 11:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭

i'm thinking of going to the uk to get a bmw f800s

Is it worth my while ?

Van rental is about 35per day
    + AA check £70 i think
    + return ferry (commercial van)
    + fuel
    + misc

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭thebullkf

pa990 wrote: »
    i'm thinking of going to the uk to get a bmw f800s

Is it worth my while ?

Van rental is about 35per day
    + AA check £70 i think
    + return ferry (commercial van)
    + fuel
    + misc

no

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

thebullkf wrote: »
    no

Seems like a nice informed decision you came to there. Care to share with us why you think it might not be a good idea ?

Personally I think it depends on the value etc. Might be a better idea to drive it back and save yourself a couple of quid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭thebullkf

KTRIC wrote: »
    Seems like a nice informed decision you came to there. Care to share with us why you think it might not be a good idea ?

Personally I think it depends on the value etc. Might be a better idea to drive it back and save yourself a couple of quid.

exactly.

no mention of funds available,year,mileage etc.

based on the fact that the OP is quoting petrol,van rental charges its safe to assume imo he's not spending big money{i could be wrong:))
    In which case its not worth it-based on exchange rates and the fact that prices here have dropped.

I ride a bike myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 628 ✭✭✭jimmyendless

If you can trust the seller that the bike is as described, a bike courier could get it to a ferry terminal from nearly anywhere in GB for 140GBP. You get a foot passenger ticket over and a motorbike ticket back on the ferry. Depending on how good a deal your getting, it can make financial sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

i was planning on going over and back in one day.
    and looking at more than one bike, so i would need the transport ie van

i have £4k to £5k to spend on a bike, and was thinking that the ferry etc would be about €600

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 353 ✭✭ogriofa

Lucky you! Those bikes are getting rave reviews.

I bought a bike in the UK a few weeks ago and probably saved about a grand. But the condition of the bike is a LOT better.

Obviously buying off a dealer, check them out. Ask on regional forums for feedback. 99% of them will be fine.
    I insisted on close up picks of certain areas of the bike. If they are pissey about doing this for you (you coming from Ireland) Id walk. My guy couldnt have been more helpful. Couple of emails and a phone call and I was happy.

Problem:
    Dont forget the VRT. On an early 2008 bike with 800cc > €690

Money saver:
    Depending on where you're going go for the stena "sail & rail". Itll save you £20 - thats free dinner. Its also 1 less qeue you have to join. And then ride the bike home. Good fun/exciting. The van would cost an extra few quid. Make a day of it

Good luck

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

I plan on getting a Firestorm when I pass my test in the next month or two, and there are some seriously cheap, very clean ones over there. The fact that roads in the UK are generally much better than here and the fact that UK bikes are MOT'd every year means you'll probably be getting a much better looked after bike too.

Worth the trip over I think.

i wouldn't be entirely confidant about driving it all the way back, I haven't been up on a bike in 4yrs
    and 4yrs ago, it was only to do the test. I'd feel happier transporting it back.

I feel that having a van will give me the option to view a few different dealers.

Also i'd be sailing on the cork-swansea ferry.

(ferry leaves cork at 9pm tue and arrives at 7am wed
    then leaves swansea 9pm wed, arrives in cork 7am thurs)

The reason i was looking at going to the UK, was that there seems to be very little f800s in this country.

I'd be happy if i ended up paying the same price as here, but got something in better nick

i'm gonna do my math and research over the next few days, with a view to going over in the next few months.

i might even try and recruit someone who also wants to get a bike to come along.. that way the transport costs could be shared

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 353 ✭✭ogriofa

Also i'd be sailing on the cork-swansea ferry.

(ferry leaves cork at 9pm tue and arrives at 7am wed
    then leaves swansea 9pm wed, arrives in cork 7am thurs)

Jesus! Didnt know it was that bad. THatll cost you b&B meals etc!
    I get ya now.

Try up north. If you dont see anything on autotrader maybe ring around. THat would solve a lot of your problems.

Are bike price up north more expensive than the mainland uk? Or does the rip-off ireland bit stop at the border?

• Advertisement

don't see the need for b&b
    I can sleep on the ferry on the way over and back.
    I'll have all of wed to do my business.
    I'd be arriving at 7am.. And sailing back at 9pm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Alkers

Think I've seen a couple of times on biker.ie, lads that will collect bikes in the UK and bring them back in a van or drive them back, my be worth a look if you're sure which bike you want to get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 576 ✭✭✭ifah

KamiKazi wrote: »
    I plan on getting a Firestorm when I pass my test in the next month or two, and there are some seriously cheap, very clean ones over there. The fact that roads in the UK are generally much better than here and the fact that UK bikes are MOT'd every year means you'll probably be getting a much better looked after bike too.

Worth the trip over I think.

what's it like with a restrictor in ? would have thought handling/insurance would be a bear.

ifah wrote: »
    what's it like with a restrictor in ? would have thought handling/insurance would be a bear.

Restrictor won't effect it as much as an inline4 due to the low down torqueeness of it. Have to get a Grade2 assessment, providing I get that & full licence I was quoted €1500.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

don't see the need for b&b
    I can sleep on the ferry on the way over and back.
    I'll have all of wed to do my business.
    I'd be arriving at 7am.. And sailing back at 9pm

Have you tried Crossans? They have a few BMWs on their site. Saw one for 4300stg think it was an '06

insurance will be about 550 tpft
    And thats with on driver training

The joy's of being old :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

KamiKazi wrote: »
    Restrictor won't effect it as much as an inline4 due to the low down torqueeness of it. Have to get a Grade2 assessment, providing I get that & full licence I was quoted €1500.

How young are you to get that quote :eek: Nearly choked on my lunch when I saw that figure!

RosieJoe wrote: »
    How young are you to get that quote :eek: Nearly choked on my lunch when I saw that figure!

23 :(

Paying €1000 on a CB400 though

Anyone know how much VRT would be on something like this?

1,400.00 GBP = 1,647.66 EUR

Could be a hell of a deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

According to this

€135 :)

• Advertisement

EvilMonkey wrote: »
    According to this

€135 :)

Not too bad at all, €1,800 plus delivery.

OK...

I've contacted the AA in the UK, and they have told me that they don't do vehicle inspections for motorbikes :(

Does anyone know of any other company that will do a vehicle inspection on a bike that with a dealer/ private seller in the UK

click

No idea if they'll check the bike out for you though, worth checking out.

i've being doing my research and maths..

i dont want to buy a bike unseen.
    so driving a van over and back was the only option for my peace of mind.

by the time i have added up all the costs of ferry, fuel, vrt, exchange rate, etc i dont think i'll be saving a huge amount.. prob less than €1000.. more like €500 ..

for that reason i think i'll stick to buying a bike here.

it would be cheaper if i flew over and drove back, but as i said.. in a previous post, i wouldn't be confident doing a long journey since i have little biking experience, and it has been a few years since i've been up on a bike.

Thanks to everyone for their input.

Think I'm gonna buy from the UK myself.

Cheap flight over, buy bike, ride to port, ferry back to Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭webels

Hi Kamakazi

What is the difference between the VTR 1000 and the VTR 1000f (one a road bike and the other a tourer I think)

Have a look here a VTR1000 for €2200 (year younger and less miles)

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/motorbikes/1147018

Not my bike by the way...

BTW a great choice of bike there though, good luck with it.

webels wrote: »
    Hi Kamakazi

What is the difference between the VTR 1000 and the VTR 1000f (one a road bike and the other a tourer I think)

Have a look here a VTR1000 for €2200 (year younger and less miles)

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/motorbikes/1147018

Not my bike by the way...

BTW a great choice of bike there though, good luck with it.

AFAIK, and I'm far from knowing all but I think that is the F.

To my knowledge there are three different VTRs; the Firestorm, SP1 and SP2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭webels

Whichever one you go for it looks a great bike Kamakazi, I drive a Pan myself and it is great old bike, but when I grow up I want one of these...

http://thekneeslider.com/archives/2007/06/28/2008-suzuki-hayabusa/

Some move from the pan I know but saw a few in the flesh and they are some bike

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 107 ✭✭richiet

I bought my bike from these guys, http://www.goodallsmotorcycles.com/

They are in Belfast, but get they're bikes from mainland UK. They will go find a bike for you.

Worth sending them an email anyway, thats what I did and they came up trumps for me.

Advertisement