Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Frequent ESB outages

Options
  • 10-05-2010 11:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭

Hi all,

In the last five weeks the ESB has been out four times for a minimum of 4 hours right up to a 9-5 full working day.

I find that this string of outages (whilst planned) seems a little much in such a short space of time.
    The next full day outage is next week and while I understand it is not common place it's just that this is going to be yet another one in such a short period of time.
    having a fully stocked fridge and freezer for most of the week I find it very frustrating that I can't even bring the food to a neighbour as they'll be out of juice too.

So, does anyone have any recommendations as to how I can keep my frozen food "fresh" as it will be completely defrosted by the time it's back up and frozen again...

I could have a big food fest the day before I guess - use it up and invite the neighbours round... :) It's just blimming annoying!

Is it worth complaining to the ESB about it? My arguement would be that it was only 10 days ago when it was last off for 6 hours.

I believe the ESB outage is for some work being done at a local business. At least that was the reason the last two times.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Spannerman7

How about hiring a small generator for the day, you would not need to have it running all day, may be just for an hour in every three and turn the freezer up to the max or use the boost switch if you have one for a few hours before the outage. This might cost you €30 for the generator. or borrow one if you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭bassey

Complaining to the ESB will get you nothing but an "Apologies for the Inconvenience"

If the work needs to be done it needs to be done. The generator is a good idea, or else get one of those freezer box things for camping etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Since they are planned outages i dont think their is much you can do. Four outages for one business connection seems quite excessive. Also are you sure the electricity was actually off for that length time? The 9-5 is approximate and normally would be back before that.

A fridge freezer is also meant to last a 20 hours or so once its not being opened.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭mazthespark

if its happening that often i would consider the generator also and if it continues like that having it there for standby mitent be a bad idea but you do need a changeover switch if you wish to power entire house to stop you from feeding back along esb. other wise just run a lead in from the generator to the appliances required.

Advertisement