Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recover AutoCAD Drawing

Options
  • 11-05-2010 12:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭

Hi

There is a good chance that this is a pointless exercise.

But I remembered tonight that I had a 3D AutoCAD file on my computer that would be really handy for a project I am doing now. But I went looking for it but can't find it at all. This file I thought I had looked after carefully has most likely been mistakenly deleted. It probably hasn't been edited on the computer for at least 3 years maybe.

So my question is would there be any possible way that this file could be recoverable? And if possible what would be the best method / program to use?

I know it is a long shot, but any advice would be most appreciated. Cheers.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

try not to use the computer in case you overwrite the file

check autocad's settings for backup files and for straw clutching also look at autorecover files .ac$

photorec (testdisk) can be used to recover files to a second harddrive or external one , tell it to only look in free space and only for autocad files,

• Registered Users Posts: 39,284 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Check for .sv$ files, .ac$ and .bak files.

If it was deleted today, you might get it, but if it was 3 years ago forget about it if the PC was used regularly
    THe file will stay there until the empty space is written over by the next file, basically.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 djwinger

When you use the "Open" command there's a pane on the left of the window which has a History Folder. This worked for me once but I've just tested it in 2010 and it's only showing me one file for some reason.

You could also try something like Piriform's Recuva (makers of the great CCleaner) http://www.piriform.com/recuva

3 years is a huge stretch though. You're probably out of luck but give it a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Casperbhoy

see can you find a .bak file, you can change the file extension to dwg, might not recover all the info though

Advertisement