Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Birds in the vent of our apartment

Options
  • 11-05-2010 12:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭

In the apartment complex where I live there are vents on the outside wall which go in between the two bedrooms coming from the bathroom. These vents are covered with two flaps but looking around the complex there are many that are completely exposed due to strong winds/age etc. The vent on our apartment is completely exposed.

As a result there is a nest of birds in the wall. The noise is unreal. Literally as soon as its bright the chirping starts. The parents head off to get food, coming back every 10 minutes or so and when they do the baby birds go mental. I have never heard noise like it. During the night we can hear them scraping against the wall and thats keeping us awake too.

We have phoned the management company 3 times about this. The first two times we were told someone would ring us back, which of course never actually happened. The third time we were told that "the committee has decided that replacing all the vent covers in the complex would be too expensive." We told the woman that we didn't care about all the covers in the complex. We just want that nest gone. We got absolutely nothing out of her other than "there will be another meeting next month and I'll bring it up then."

The morning after this phonecall we were greeted to a large black stain on the wall near where the nest is and we can only assume its an accummulation of bird crap seeping through the walls. Absolutely disgusting.

Is there anything we can do here? While we don't want to harm the birds we do want to get some sleep and not have the apartment damaged costing us our deposit if we decide to move out (we're getting very bloody close at this stage!).

Head is wrecked!

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

i think your wanting rid of the birds and not wanting to harm them are mutually exclusive while the chicks are still young. Not sure what you expect the management company to do that you can't just do yourself...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

copacetic wrote: »
    i think your wanting rid of the birds and not wanting to harm them are mutually exclusive while the chicks are still young. Not sure what you expect the management company to do that you can't just do yourself...

Well given that we're 3 floors up I'm not sure what we can do ourselves.. Feel free to make a suggestion though.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Is there a Bird Protection Society in Ireland? Try the birdwatching forum?

I am sure they will advise and help.

Advertisement