Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

King Lear: important and most likely to come up themes and characters?

Options
  • 11-05-2010 12:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭

What themes are very important to study for king Lear and why? Seeing their are like ten or eleven of them lol would be nice to break it down. And what characters are the most important to study and why? Which theme, character(s) and questions are most likely to come up and why?

Lots of why's lol anyway any advice is appreciated. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,708 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Love, Friendship, Tragedy.

Study all characters, the themes above intersperse with each one.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭fufureida

Nature seems to be a big theme... Is it likely to come up?

The only thing about Nature that could come up would be the storm.... and that ties in with Tragedy as Lear comes to his senses.

Yeah but their us waaaah more on nature than just the storm..:/

Tbh, looking through my past papers, it'll nearly always be love....or tragedy.

• Advertisement

Hmmm I'll take your word for it for now but would really like another opinion also.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭--SmItHy--

Theme of a tragic hero in either gloucester or lear, love, redemtion through suffering(paradox), nature and how it represents the turmoil in lears mind (microcosm, macrocosm)

So love, tragedy, friendship... That's all?

Redemption also, sorry.

Yeah they're the most common...and there's also a neutral question like the important changes in lears character throughout the play..

• Advertisement

Hmm that sema relatively approachable even at this stage. Do u guys reckon 3 and a half to 4 pages is ok? My teacher keeps telling us to write 7...

• Registered Users Posts: 33 MagsK93

Id say 5 pages to get a good mark, you'd never have time for 7 in the exam.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

7 pages is absolute bs there's no way 7 pages is required...

how long does she expect your essay to be like

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭stainluss

fufureida wrote: »
    Hmm that sema relatively approachable even at this stage. Do u guys reckon 3 and a half to 4 pages is ok? My teacher keeps telling us to write 7...

Quality, not quantity. They dont care wether its 3.5 or double that as long as the correct ideas are in it.

stainluss wrote: »
    Quality, not quantity. They dont care wether its 3.5 or double that as long as the correct ideas are in it.
    yeah its possible to get an a1 from 3 pages if the answer is tight to the question , clear and concise!

Yeah that's what I'm hoping for like for the essay in paper 1 I always do 3 pages or 4 and I got an A in my mocks. I always do the personal essay too did it so much easier. Cus I write is like a 1st person short story. :D

As for king Lear, is the fool likely to come up? I hears It could... That and goneril and regen. By the way how Many quotes are u expected to know ?I write like 2 per paragraph so like 8 in an essay.

I'm gonna get themes down In relation to characters and quotes and learn them off... I find it impossible to learn quotes ...:(

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭blacklionboy

Redemption Will come up id say

Hmm ok well anyone else have any ideas? Wud be great to get more opinions.

Guys what kinda essay titles are we looking at here? I looked through the exam papers n didn't find any title that links with these themes...

Help...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

The dramatic role of the fool seems quite popular

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭Scan Man

About 3.5 pages is enough for nearly every task on both Papers, I got a fairly good grade on the mocks on a question on the "power of love as a redemptive force", it was a A grade answer only I didn't have any quotes as she hadn't given us any to learn until after the Mocks :(

Others in the class go off and write 4-7 pages on some of the topics, but in the end of the day they still got a fairly similiar mark to mine (76%), one was about 5% lower and the other was 5% higher), there's only the 4 of us are doing HL and I don't know what the last person got.

Again though I suppose it depends on what you're after. I'd be happy with a C2 overall in HL English. Given the amount of work I put in, it's more than I deserve!

Scan Man wrote: »
    About 3.5 pages is enough for nearly every task on both Papers, I got a fairly good grade on the mocks on a question on the "power of love as a redemptive force", it was a A grade answer only I didn't have any quotes as she hadn't given us any to learn until after the Mocks :(

Others in the class go off and write 4-7 pages on some of the topics, but in the end of the day they still got a fairly similiar mark to mine (76%), one was about 5% lower and the other was 5% higher), there's only the 4 of us are doing HL and I don't know what the last person got.

Again though I suppose it depends on what you're after. I'd be happy with a C2 overall in HL English. Given the amount of work I put in, it's more than I deserve!

ok so what's your imput to the thread question?

Advertisement