Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Emile Heskey

• 11-05-2010 12:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭

Can anyone else not understand how he is apparentley a shoe in for the England squad. I know the argument about his physical presence and what not, but he's scored 3 goals this season, and anytime I'v looked at him he's contributed feck all. Kevin Davies, Cameron Jerome, Bobby Zamora, Carlton Cole are all strikers that I can think of off the top of my head that have scored more goals than heskey and are English and have this physical presence that is apparentley necessary. Darren Bent and Gaby Agbonglahor seem to be out of the running, despite having good seasons especially Bent. Apologies if this thread has been done recently and/or i'm boring people to death :pac:

Oh yeah and Kevin Phillips has scored more than Heskey this season.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭damienmcd

They could stick anyone in there and they'd be more effective than Heskey. I'm a Villa fan and I cannot wait until we get rid of him! He's a donkey!!!

Players like Gabby Agbonlahor, Darren Bent and Carlton Cole should be in there ahead of him. I think Daniel Sturridge probably got more goals than Heskey this season!

EDIT: He scored the same amount of goals as Sturridge this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

i dont think hes a 'shoe in' . I guess what he does is gives you options. If Heskey had of had the right manager he could have been an english Drogba.. hes too nice by half

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

His "role" for England is a hold up player. Recieves the ball 30 yards from goal (on his chest, at his feet), holds it up, lays it off simply. Alternatively he flicks on a high ball. It's best to ignore the fact that he's a striker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

If Heskey had of had the right manager he could have been an english Drogba.. hes too nice by half

for a lot of one season, our 'Fake Treble' season (2000/01), he was unplayable. he and Owen were gold.

i think we beat Capello's Roma that year.

i think Capello still remembers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

He's in for one reason quite simply: his partnership with Rooney.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Jordan Berbatov

damienmcd wrote: »
    They could stick anyone in there and they'd be more effective than Heskey. I'm a Villa fan and I cannot wait until we get rid of him! He's a donkey!!!

Players like Gabby Agbonlahor, Darren Bent and Carlton Cole should be in there ahead of him. I think Daniel Sturridge probably got more goals than Heskey this season!

EDIT: He scored the same amount of goals as Sturridge this season.

as well as Gary Cahill, David Nugent, Jody Craddock . . . I'l stop now I could go on all day.

And about him giving an option, surely he's the equivalint of throwing the big centre half up front in desperation.

Lukker- wrote: »
    He's in for one reason quite simply: his partnership with Rooney.

I think Crouch would be better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,068 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Ive been saying this forever. He hasnt scored more than 10 goals in a season in 6 years. Hos career totals are 144 goals in 644 games. 7 in 57 for the national side. I have no idea how he is in contention above the likes of Darren Bent. Bent has scored more goals this season than Heskey has in the last 5 years combined (25 v 21)!

Crouch offers a goal threat and can hold up the ball.

SlickRic wrote: »
    for a lot of one season, our 'Fake Treble' season (2000/01), he was unplayable. he and Owen were gold.

i think we beat Capello's Roma that year.

i think Capello still remembers.

fake treble?.. I counted 3 trophies.

Tusky wrote: »
    Ive been saying this forever. He hasnt scored more than 10 goals in a season in 6 years. Hos career totals are 144 goals in 644 games. 7 in 57 for the national side. I have no idea how he is in contention above the likes of Darren Bent. Bent has scored more goals this season than Heskey has in the last 5 years combined (25 v 21)!

Presuming he doesn't get in (which it's looking like), how sickened will he be, there was actually no more he could have done.

• Advertisement

did you start a thread by asking why heskey should get in only to end it with 'presuming he wont get in'?

did you start a thread by asking why heskey should get in only to end it with 'presuming he wont get in'?

No, I'm talking about Darren Bent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

bent is not as good as heskey in the role capello will want him to play. heskey has always done well for england and rooney has spoken about how he loves playing with him, i reckon he'll get in the squad.

lost me then so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

fake treble?.. I counted 3 trophies.

i'm taking the p*ss, obviously. i'm a Pool fan and proud of that achievement in 2001.

if i'd come and just said 'Treble', you'd have had anti-Pool heads potentially dragging stuff off-topic by correcting me, as it's not the 'real' Treble.

i chose to try to avoid that is all.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    bent is not as good as heskey in the role capello will want him to play. heskey has always done well for england and rooney has spoken about how he loves playing with him, i reckon he'll get in the squad.

I know what you mean, but I think Crouch would be better, with even Carlton Cole as a Heskey type player.

I know what you mean, but I think Crouch would be better, with even Carlton Cole as a Heskey type player.
    Crouch may fill the role, but he is not as powerful as heskey is. Even if he did, capello would still want a second striker that'd be capable of filling in that role. Carlton has been injured too much this season imo and doesn't have the same kind of international or big game experience, imo.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

the first guy i substitute on FIFA / Pro Evo :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Emile Heskey = A stronger Kevin Doyle, without the goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

I wonder if Rooney has some sort of say who he actually would prefer to play with? Imo Heskey or Carlton Cole should be nowhere near the England team.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Of course Rooney loves having him in the team - there's absolutely no possibility no matter how ****e Rooney plays that Emile is ever going to be picked ahead of him - not saying that Rooney is going to play ****e but Wayne could literally stand on his head in the centre-circle for the first two group games and you would still pick Wayne ahead of Emile for the third game. :D

England's world cup hopes pretty much rely on Rooney imo so probably makes sense to take him to keep Wayne happy.

my point was that Rooney loves playing alongside him, his physical presence distracts defenders and his ability and strength when it comes to holding up the ball suits wayne down to the ground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

my point was that Rooney loves playing alongside him, his physical presence distracts defenders and his ability and strength when it comes to holding up the ball suits wayne down to the ground.

Logical answer displeases soccerforumcat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,014 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Tusky wrote: »

I can't believe the amount of people that come up with this muck. Peter Crouch is nothing like Emile Heskey and he cannot do what Heskey does.

Heskey is in the England squad because he has a chemistry with Wayne Rooney whereas other strikers just get in his way.

People keep coming up with this silly argument that somebody like Crouch or Agbonlahor could do Heskey's job which really is madness when you think about it because England and Wayne Rooney have never looked as good when Heskey is not up front with him.

They also happen to have one of the best coaches on the planet in Fabio Capello, he is nobodys fool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

If Heskey gets a place in that squad ahead of Darren Bent, I will personally kick Fabio Capello in the balls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

so its another case of people watching him in the PL and not with england then.

he doesnt score goals. Capello doesnt care. With him in the team, England finished top scorers in Europe in the WC qualifying. He holds the ball up better than most others. Crouch is big, but doesnt hold it up enough. Kevin davies would give away too many free's at international level. Carlton Cole hasnt enough experience, neither has zamora.
    With heskey in the team, it allows him to act as a pivot for the runs of Rooney, gerrard on the left and whoever plays on the right. This has been massively successful since capello has taken over. Why would he change now?

He doesnt really care about goals from heskey. If that was the case, he'd never have picked him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

If he is in the squad, it will be because of the way himself and Rooney play together. If Capello is looking for the perfect partner for Rooney, well then lets face it, Heskey is that on England under Capello.

Personally, i think it would be a shame if Bent fails to make the final squad. He is a proven goalscorer, not with England yet though which i think is why he will miss out. I have seen loads of Darren Bent this season and he offers so much more than his finishing. I actually think he would be a great partner for Rooney.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

magma69 wrote: »
    If Heskey gets a place in that squad ahead of Darren Bent, I will personally kick Fabio Capello in the balls.

It is not a case of choosing Heskey or Bent in that sense.

In my head, the easiest partnerships to make are the central defense ones, following that i'd say central midfield, your full backs and wingers need a certain sense of cohesion, i'd have that next hardest, but the most difficult thing to do is form a striking partnership.

There is not much difference in how you can play the defensive game, or how you approach your wide play, up front is different.

For that reason you need a certain number of the certain types of frowards there are. So it isn't a straight shoot off between Heskey and Bent. I think Capello would have Bent in the same bracket as Rooney, Defoe and he is 3rd in that list. It all depends on how many strikers Capello is going to have in the squad and also is Walcott being counted as a winger or in the striker squad.

I'm glad i don't have to sort them out, but if i did, Bent would be in my team.

Advertisement