Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thai red curry

Options
  • 11-05-2010 12:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone :)

Thai red curry is something I've tried to make very basically a few times. I'd like to get more creative and start making as much of it as I can from scratch (rather than mostly relying on curry paste) so I'm just wondering if anyone has any good recipes they've tried themselves?

If anyone did, that would be great!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,436 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I second the request!
    I havent been able to get anything like those curries here, everything here seems to be watered down with clunky chunky carrots.
    A Thai or Malay red curry authentic recipie here would would be greatly appreciated.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

I usually use the Thai Gold products when making stuff like this. Find them to be quite good!
    I've tried numerous red curry pastes and their one is by far the best.
    It's only 2 euro for a small jar as well, which lasts ages :)

I normally use curry paste, coconut milk, fish sauce and lime as my main ingredients but I'd like advice on what else to put in. Especially vegetables ... I've never used much else other than red pepper!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

My work does an asian beef salad that is amazing.

It's basically strips of beef cooked in a stir fry sauce (think they use hoi sin, coriander, sesame and some spices). They put that on top of some asian salad "pak choy", beansprouts and the like and then dollop a mixture of coconut milk(reduced down) and red thai curry paste(teeny amount as it's quite hot) on top. I'll ask at the weekend to double check the ingredients but pretty sure that's it. Customers love it and loads of regulars ask for a double portion to have as a main course (it's normally a starter).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

This is what I use for my paste - never got any complaints about it. Might want to add more chilli depending on your own taste. I use lime zest and juice instead of the kaffir leaves as these are tough to find

For the paste
    1 large shallot, roughly chopped
    3cm/1.2 in piece ginger, peeled and roughly chopped
    2 bird's-eye chillies, seeds removed, roughly chopped
    3 garlic cloves
    2 kaffir lime leaves, roughly chopped
    1 tbsp soy sauce
    2 tbsp fish sauce
    4 tbsp tomato purée
    1 tbsp paprika
    1 tbsp ground cumin
    1 tbsp ground coriander