Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nightforce Rings

Options
  • 11-05-2010 1:15am
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I have a slight problem (no smart comments please) with a new set of Nightforce rings i got. I have a Savage FTR, with a Nightforce scope. I ordered, got and use a set of Nightforce, 30mm, high rings on it. They work perfect.

My Father recently bought a Savage Palma in .308 cal. He also uses a Nightforce scope so i went the same route and bought the Nightforce 20 moa rail, Nightforce 30mm, high rings. Here lies my problem.

The barrel of the Palma is "tapered" as oppose to the "bull" barrel configuration of the FTR. For this reason the set up works, but the scope sits roughly 9-11mm off the barrel. Through my own haste to order the gear for him i never stopped to check the clearence of the scope in relation to the different barrel. I now must change the rings to drop the scope down closer to the barrel and in doing so give a more comfortable shooting position and possibly increase his overall moa slightly.

Does anyone out there have a set of Low Nightforce rings that they want to trade/exchange for a set of High Nightforce rings. Alternatively if someone could point me in the direction of a "friendly" dealer that may stock these rings that would consider such a trade i would be in your debt.

I have all the original packaging they came in, including allen key.

If the mods feel this needs to be placed in the Wanted/For sale section feel free to move it.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

ezridax wrote: »
    I have a slight problem (no smart comments please) with a new set of Nightforce rings i got. I have a Savage FTR, with a Nightforce scope. I ordered, got and use a set of Nightforce, 30mm, high rings on it. They work perfect.

My Father recently bought a Savage Palma in .308 cal. He also uses a Nightforce scope so i went the same route and bought the Nightforce 20 moa rail, Nightforce 30mm, high rings. Here lies my problem.

The barrel of the Palma is "tapered" as oppose to the "bull" barrel configuration of the FTR. For this reason the set up works, but the scope sits roughly 9-11mm off the barrel. Through my own haste to order the gear for him i never stopped to check the clearence of the scope in relation to the different barrel. I now must change the rings to drop the scope down closer to the barrel and in doing so give a more comfortable shooting position and possibly increase his overall moa slightly.

Does anyone out there have a set of Low Nightforce rings that they want to trade/exchange for a set of High Nightforce rings. Alternatively if someone could point me in the direction of a "friendly" dealer that may stock these rings that would consider such a trade i would be in your debt.

I have all the original packaging they came in, including allen key.

If the mods feel this needs to be placed in the Wanted/For sale section feel free to move it.

Did you look at Burris tactical mounts? I use them on both Nightforce scopes and they have the scope just nice, mine are the second from right
    XTR_rings.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I know of Burris, but at half the cost of the nightforce i'm not keen on swapping for them. a dealer friend of mine already offered.

The Nightforce are €150+ worth and not to sound too much like a p***k i'm not trading for €60 - €80 worth of rings. No offense intended just the rings i have are 2 weeks old at best.

If someone has some great, if not no harm done.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

I know of Burris, but at half the cost of the nightforce i'm not keen on swapping for them. a dealer friend of mine already offered.

The Nightforce are €150+ worth and not to sound too much like a p***k i'm not trading for €60 - €80 worth of rings. No offense intended just the rings i have are 2 weeks old at best.

If someone has some great, if not no harm done.

Post a pic of your rings
    The Burris rings look very similar to me but I have not seen Nightforce rings in the flesh.
    Are yours a one piece set up? I never knew the Nighforce rings/mounts were that dear.
    I know i used other mounts before using the burris mounts with Windage, but the windage grub screws kept loosening and instead of threadlock I changed to fixed position.
    The burris mount is a very strong mount and has 6 studs as opposed to 4 so you can tighten rock solid without shearing screws.
    and i did not mean do a straight swap, did the dealer say a straight swap?
    mountsUnimountL.jpg

Here are the ones i'm using ..............
    mountsUltralightringsL.jpg

Here they are on they rifle (sorry for small picture :D).....................
    picture.php?albumid=939&pictureid=5774
    The burris mount is a very strong mount and has 6 studs as opposed to 4 so you can tighten rock solid without shearing screws.
    and i did not mean do a straight swap, did the dealer say a straight swap?

I had a set of burris years ago. Good mounts and no problems with them. Just with times being as they are i cannot afford a new set and have these as "spares".

The dealer did not suggest a straight swap. He would swap for another set and make up the difference in other goods. He is sound that way, especially as i did not buy them from him. Problem is all his mounts are the same height as what i have.

Here are the ones i'm using ..............
    mountsUltralightringsL.jpg

Here they are on they rifle (sorry for small picture :D).....................
    picture.php?albumid=939&pictureid=5774

I had a set of burris years ago. Good mounts and no problems with them. Just with times being as they are i cannot afford a new set and have these as "spares".

The dealer did not suggest a straight swap. He would swap for another set and make up the difference in other goods. He is sound that way, especially as i did not buy them from him. Problem is all his mounts are the same height as what i have.

Get Fergal white to have a look.
    He might be able to use the mill to lower them
    Just an idea.
    Make your Custom mounts !

• Advertisement

I don't think thats possible. Not that he couldn't do it, more to the point the would not work properly.

The idea of the rings is that they sit on the picatinny rail and then clamp onto the side of th rail. If anyone milled the base of the ring it would still sit as high because of the "clamps". The only way around this would be to cut the "clamps" and re-attach higher up, once again allowing the base of the ring to sit down on the rail.

Apart from butchering the rings the cost (however small) is still an extra. Its far simplier to exchange/swap them for a lower set, and in doing so not compromising the strength of rings themselves.

I'm all sorted.

The company i got them from in England agreed to have them returned and exchanged for the ones i need without hesitation, conditions, extra costs, nothing. It is a small light of hope when a company will do what is necessary to keep the customer happy, over making profits.

I want to also take the opportunty to thank both Sean Harding in stakelums in Thurles and Jim Griffin in Rahan, Tullamore. Both of them have made numerous phone calls on my behalf and were (without question) willing to exchange them for anything they had in their shops in a bid to accomodate me. Just unlucky they hadn't anything that fitted the bill.

We spend alot of time moaning and groaning about the level of service we recieve from dealers here, and in a time of such moaning its only fair to applaud those that buck the trend.

On that mote allow me to name the lads involved and give my full and whole hearted endorsement of their shops and services.

The Sportsman Gun Centre - Exeter - England ( www.sportsmanguncentre.co.uk )

Sean Harding - Stakelums, Thurles

Jim Griffin - Rahan, Tullamore.

Advertisement