Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland World Cup Squad

• 11-05-2010 5:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭

I know we didn't make it 'cos of them frenches but with all the hype about englands squad for the world cup was wondering who people would pick for the ireland squad if we were goin 2 south africa this summer. Bearing in my mind injuries and players who are unavailable.

Gk:Westwood,j.murphy,b.murphy.(looks like shay is out 4 a while)
    Df:finnan,o'shea,dunne,ward,foley,bruce,st.ledger,kilbane
    Mf:Lawrence,mc carthy,whelan,duff,mc geady,S reid(even if he has been with west brom)andrews,gibson.
    Fr:keane, doyle, best, stokes

??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

Let's not go there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

We should organise a tournament!

Wales, Scotland, Russia, Turkey etc should be up for something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Seeing as this is a hypothetical waste of time might as well throw Stephen Ireland in there too.

If he won't play for the real team maybe he'll play for the imaginary one seeing as he doesn't have to face the players

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Why ? Some people are still in mourning :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Seeing as this is a hypothetical waste of time might as well throw Stephen Ireland in there too.

If he won't play for the real team maybe he'll play for the imaginary one seeing as he doesn't have to face the players

+1

I'd call up Messi for Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

In before the customary team squad of Gary Breens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

Im as much still in grudge nursing. This one will last longer than the 800 year chip :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

In mourning?

You need to get out more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

What World Cup??? I heard there's none until 2014 at the earliest.....

Des wrote: »
    In mourning?

Aye. Only LOI fans are capable of real feeling for a team.

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

This thread is depressing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

gavredking wrote: »
    In before the customary team squad of Gary Breens.

Number 1 was Gary Breen, and number 2 was Gary Breen (Gary Breen!), and number 3 was Gary Breen, number 4 Gary Breen (Gary Breen!)...we all dream of a team of Gary Breens, a team of Gary Breens, a team of Gary Breens...we all dream of a team of Gary Breens, a team of Gary Breens, a team of Gary Breens...and Number 5 was Gary Breen, and

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Number 1 was Gary Breen, and number 2 was Gary Breen (Gary Breen!), and number 3 was Gary Breen, number 4 Gary Breen (Gary Breen!)...we all dream of a team of Gary Breens, a team of Gary Breens, a team of Gary Breens...we all dream of a team of Gary Breens, a team of Gary Breens, a team of Gary Breens...and Number 5 was Gary Breen, and

A team well capable of challenging and beating the worlds best teams :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

Aye. Only LOI fans are capable of real feeling for a team.

:rolleyes:

Or maybe LoI fans are the only ones with enough football culture to accept a dodgy decision and move on?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Or maybe LoI fans are the only ones with enough football culture to accept a dodgy decision and move on?

or maybe thhere is no reason to seperate LOI fans and fans of the EPL, everone should move on and get over it and the vast majority have. Not that i wouldent love to see Ireland play and beat France in the near future or anything but I gotta agree with the general :rolleyes: feeling when this gets brought up again and again... ditto Stephen Irelands international exploits or lack there of.

more interesting than a hypothetical Irish squad for me would be who now that we are not in the WC should be put in the next few Ireland squads so that they are ready to be part of the Ireland squad that will actually compete in something i.e the euro qualifiers. which players now should be bred into the squad i.e The McCarthys and Colemans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Just can't make this sh*t up, "Ireland World Cup Squad" thread, laughable to say the least!:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

In mourning?

Your legendary wit precedes you, mine obviously needs some work !

Maybe you should get off Boards.ie more.....

Why do I get the feeling if a LOI clubs greatest shot at the big time in Europe was dashed at the final minutes by a dodgy ref decision in favour of, oh, I dunno, the auld enemy Glasgow Celtic perhaps, we would hear nothing but little remarks here about traitors in Ireland supporting the team that dashed club xs chance to put the LOI on the European map? Already two of the usual suspects (Gav and Des) have had their little high and mighty pop on this thread. Get over it lads, yes, the incident created huge bandwagonery with part time fans and their grannys rushing to join every anti France Facebook you could find, but real fans of a team with more pride and an internationally renowned base of more passionate travelling fans than most LOI teams (show me ONE LOI team whos fans are well known worldwide for their passionate never say die away support in numbers) are still hurting over what could have been, and it will only haunt us further again as the WC approaches. There litreally wasnt an hour that went by for weeks after the match that the whole thing wouldnt pass my mind, and it still rears its head the odd time, the thoughts of what could have been.

By the way, why should we "get over it"? The Argies and the Falklands, Australia vs Italy 06, France vs Italt headbutt incident, Germany v Holland final 74 (or 78 was it), the greatest fan rivalries in world football are fired by the one grudge match/ political incident that can go back decades.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Jesus Christ, do you have some massive chip on your shoulder that the most commited, driven, hard working Irish players have achieved a level which means they are too good to play in the domestic league, leaving in their wake often lazier players who were happy to take less care of themselves and make a living kicking a ball for a merely reasonably good wage?

ffs like, get over yourself. The world is bigger than LOI.

• Advertisement

Why do I get the feeling if a LOI clubs greatest shot at the big time in Europe was dashed at the final minutes by a dodgy ref decision in favour of, oh, I dunno, the auld enemy Glasgow Celtic perhaps, we would hear nothing but little remarks here about traitors in Ireland supporting the team that dashed club xs chance to put the LOI on the European map? Already two of the usual suspects (Gav and Des) have had their little high and mighty pop on this thread. Get over it lads, yes, the incident created huge bandwagonery with part time fans and their grannys rushing to join every anti France Facebook you could find, but real fans of a team with more pride and an internationally renowned base of more passionate travelling fans than most LOI teams (show me ONE LOI team whos fans are well known worldwide for their passionate never say die away support in numbers) are still hurting over what could have been, and it will only haunt us further again as the WC approaches. There litreally wasnt an hour that went by for weeks after the match that the whole thing wouldnt pass my mind, and it still rears its head the odd time, the thoughts of what could have been.

By the way, why should we "get over it"? The Argies and the Falklands, Australia vs Italy 06, France vs Italt headbutt incident, Germany v Holland final 74 (or 78 was it), the greatest fan rivalries in world football are fired by the one grudge match/ political incident that can go back decades.

Serious question. Have you ever entered a lady?

Jesus Christ, do you have some massive chip on your shoulder that the most commited, driven, hard working Irish players have achieved a level which means they are too good to play in the domestic league, leaving in their wake often lazier players who were happy to take less care of themselves and make a living kicking a ball for a merely reasonably good wage?

ffs like, get over yourself. The world is bigger than LOI.

You are missing the point. LoI fans by and large understand the downs of supporting clubs through thin and thin. We are used to bad decisions and bureaucratic bungling. We get angry but move on. The ole-ole's seem to live in a bubble and reality tends not to impinge on them so they don't know what to do when something like this happens.

You are missing the point. LoI fans by and large understand the downs of supporting clubs through thin and thin. We are used to bad decisions and bureaucratic bungling. We get angry but move on. The ole-ole's seem to live in a bubble and reality tends not to impinge on them so they don't know what to do when something like this happens.

Yes. Ireland fans have had so many years of success and good boardroom management that we cant handle it when one thing goes wrong. Part of the hurt was that we had a good manager, a disciplined team, a team that deserved to go through, and then dismissed in the woirst fashion. I think you are missing the point- a pathetic hardcore who probably revelled in what happened, knowing it would bring out every bandwagoning Tom and Dick and they could laugh at the ole ole brigade.
    Serious question. Have you ever entered a lady?

Only this one time. I convinced her I played for Shels and I was in like Flynn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭dubmick

anyone know if the upcoming friendlies are on RTE? I know they are on SkySports

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Did we not get into the World Cup? What happened?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

That_Guy wrote: »
    Did we not get into the World Cup? What happened?

Yeah I thought we were going to be the 33rd team?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Frisbee wrote: »
    Yeah I thought we were going to be the 33rd team?

Bloody joke that we can't compete. We'd be perfect for the South African economy. The amount of pints we'd consume.

FFS FIFA get the priorities right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I didn't think this would end well, and it hasn't.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement