Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is buying a sick animal 'rescuing' it?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

morganafay wrote: »
    Like if it was a person, who was very sick and possibly going to die, then that would be an emergency and they'd have to be removed from that situation. So for animals, it's an emergency too!

There is no doubting that it is an emergency for the individual sick animal on display and by not taking it out of that situation, you're probably "condemning" it to death.

But if you do "rescue" it you provide the incentive for these bastards to condemn even more unseen animals (those that never make it to the point of sale in the first place) to death and suffering.

If we were talking about people ...how many people would you be prepared to sacrifice (directly or indirectly) to rescue one sick person?

The only way you could rescue that animal is if you could persuade the gardai to seize that animal and hand it over to you for free to look after it(while fining the sellers for braking the law)

I'm not sure if current legislation extends that far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

Yeah, you're right. I don't know what I'd do then . . . It'd be hard to just leave the animal there, but I definitely see your point.

I guess if I could haggle down the price then they wouldn't be making any money (after what they spent to buy it, feed it, for bedding, etc.) or I could just report the shop to the ISPCA. (or both)

Usually when I've seen sick animals I've not had the money or space for them anyway.

Advertisement