Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gunfire?? "crowbangers"? HELP!!!

Options
  • 11-05-2010 8:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭

Please, can anyone shed light on this?

last week every night from 2 am - 6 am, what we thought was gunfire.

From a north easterly direction, ie towards the Gap/Balleybofey.

Today from around 7.30 am.

The Gardai say it may be ??crowbangers??

Our rescue collie freaks out badly at thunder and gunfire so no one is getting any sleep here and if this goes on we will have to move; not what is wanted.

Please. is this legal and permitted here?

We realise that pests have to be controlled, but at this cost to peace etc?

Any help appreciated; am punch drunk for lack of sleep and the vets no longer give sedatives for dogs.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭FarmerGreen

Looks like you are not alone
    Crop bird scarers 'wrecking lives'

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Looks like you are not alone
    Crop bird scarers 'wrecking lives'

Sigh.... I found a thread on farming that assures everyone that these things do not work after a few days.

We will diligently seek him out... me and my mates!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭FarmerGreen

Ah, cannot get youtube on this erratic internet connection.. Thank you all the same.

If they pay me, I will go and scare the crows away.. Me and my cats...They say crow pie is OK?

As this clearly is not going to stop, I am seeking now to leave Ireland.

On top of other things here, it just is too much to bear.

it is either get my beloved dogs put down or leave.

And why should they suffer for someone else's totally inconsiderate actions?

Blessings and peace. May not be back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Graces7 wrote: »
    As this clearly is not going to stop, I am seeking now to leave Ireland.

On top of other things here, it just is too much to bear.

it is either get my beloved dogs put down or leave.

And why should they suffer for someone else's totally inconsiderate actions?

Blessings and peace. May not be back.
    Thats a bit extreme. Take a deep breath and then make a phone call or two,

Start with a call to the Building Control Dept. in Letterkeeny (074-9194200) and tell them you have an issue with noise pollution and see how that goes. If necessary ring the Environment Dept, at the Councils' HQ in Lifford (074-9172222).

Both phone numbers are the main switchboard numbers so you will then need to ask to be transferred to the relevant dept.

Do no harm either to contact you local Councilor or TD

muffler wrote: »
    Thats a bit extreme. Take a deep breath and then make a phone call or two,

Start with a call to the Building Control Dept. in Letterkeeny (074-9194200) and tell them you have an issue with noise pollution and see how that goes. If necessary ring the Environment Dept, at the Councils' HQ in Lifford (074-9172222).

Both phone numbers are the main switchboard numbers so you will then need to ask to be transferred to the relevant dept.

Do no harm either to contact you local Councilor or TD

Your kindness is valued. You know that.

I can cope with the noise; it is not near enough to make a complaint.

I cannot work out where this machine is from here else I would go and see the man.
    Tell him what it is doing to our dogs.

These are rescue dogs; brought back from the brink once already with years of work.

All that is needed is that.

But I have no idea where to start doing that.

It is not just that; the man whose barn ( erected without planning permission we now learn) is right across from here, has had a pony incarcerated there for six months; see thread on animal welfare board."putting manners on it" It screams and kicks day and night often.

This atop that is just too much; it really is.

PS am ill in bed; only up for work needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Hope you're feeling better real soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Domscard

I know it may not be the perfect answer (in an imperfect world) but would something like this help to desensitise your dogs? You might even be able to make something like it yourself, or even create a white noise CD to run on a loop all night.
    We have problems near us with a barking dog - absolutely mind-numbingly repetetive and going on for hours. I feel very sorry for the dog, who likely just wants company/attention, but I am a light sleeper and it keeps me awake. I run the sound of the sea with crashing waves all night to block it out - works a treat :)
    As for the poor pony, I imagine that reporting it to some animal welfare organisations is your only hope. The definition of animal cruelty is, however, a matter of legal interpretation and many people have found that what IS undoubtedly cruel to any right-thinking person has a legal hole that supports the perpetrator :( In the case of dogs like the aforementioned barker, for example, as long as he's fed, watered and suitably housed the law will not get involved.
    In any case, Grace, you moving away won't change the pony's circumstances one whit. Hard to take, I know, but remember those wise words about changing the things you can change, enduring those you can't and the wisdom to know the difference. I hope you don't think I'm preaching ...
    In any event, get well soon - things always seem more bearable when you're well.

Domscard wrote: »
    I know it may not be the perfect answer (in an imperfect world) but would something like this help to desensitise your dogs? You might even be able to make something like it yourself, or even create a white noise CD to run on a loop all night.
    We have problems near us with a barking dog - absolutely mind-numbingly repetetive and going on for hours. I feel very sorry for the dog, who likely just wants company/attention, but I am a light sleeper and it keeps me awake. I run the sound of the sea with crashing waves all night to block it out - works a treat :)
    As for the poor pony, I imagine that reporting it to some animal welfare organisations is your only hope. The definition of animal cruelty is, however, a matter of legal interpretation and many people have found that what IS undoubtedly cruel to any right-thinking person has a legal hole that supports the perpetrator :( In the case of dogs like the aforementioned barker, for example, as long as he's fed, watered and suitably housed the law will not get involved.
    In any case, Grace, you moving away won't change the pony's circumstances one whit. Hard to take, I know, but remember those wise words about changing the things you can change, enduring those you can't and the wisdom to know the difference. I hope you don't think I'm preaching ...
    In any event, get well soon - things always seem more bearable when you're well.

Blessings and thanks; and no you are not preaching.. caring is always wonderful and a healing.

We had a barking dog nearby too; this method has worked twice for us now. We said we were very, very worried that the people were OK, and were about to call the Gardai to check on them.

One was an old man here; and the dog has never done that since!!

The health issues are permanent; well used to them but it limits me physically as does age.

Collie is past all usual help; it is a breed characteristic and she was appallingly abused for five years. The "good" thing is that she hs attached to me as her saviour, so will not run away; it is not just barking, but yelping, screaming in utter terror; and she is wrecking the door! Am going to have to try to get some wood to cover it! Panting as if her heart will burst.
    Once when I was out, she broke down two doors to try to find me and was missing eleven days.
    If you look at some of the US collie rescue sites, you will see how bad this can get.
    Two years ago we almost had her put to sleep; but she has been better since; family in Canada are trying to get some meds for her but that will take weeks.

( interesting; the trouble started half an hour ago; dog frantic, but she has stopped now)

She is a sheerly lovely girl; so loving and full of life and we seek only to give her a good old age now .

When we found her, she was tied 24/7 to a 56 lb weight.

It was our landlord at the time and he thought nothing of doing that. Took us a year to get her away from him.

NEED AN ADDRESS for this crowbanger; we have spoken to our solicitor and we need that; if you know the layout up here, it is coming from the north/north east and I cannot get there as no road that way. If I have an address can do something.

Also left a note out for our friendly postman.. he may know who it is.

PONY; a breakthrough finally; we have been pestering every organisation and welfare group for six months now; email is a deadly weapon! He also lets his goat roam the lanes and even after one accident etc.

Sent an off duty cop round to try to intimidate me also. BIG mistake was that.

And as you know, Irish law is way behind on this; critters need more than food, shelter and water.

Yesterday at last the wee guy was out a few hours; he is cowed and low and it is terrible to see him after six months inside like that.

Watched and wept to see him so ... cowed. Walking so slowly. Beautiful boy he is. Truly a beauty. Not and our pester-power has kept it all hot and running.

Not seen light or sky or grass for six months; he is thin too of course.

We knew someone was stopping to listen. God bless them all!

He told the others that he was letting the pony out every day! Does he think we are blind?

Cannot abide a liar.. he knows I see everything and now blasts his horn every time he passes.

I know; we cannot save all of them. In Canada "family" work with animal rescue all the time

But as the wonderful woodmen know, the barn is at my door and cannot be ignored.

Need some tall fencing along that side.

Wondering what planning will do about that too.

PS ear plugs are de rigueur in this house!

• Advertisement

Since ONE AM; every 30 seconds.

Dog is desperate and nothing more I can do for her.

It is completey random; and at this hour?

With no location. address etc.nothing anyone can do

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

They just mentioned your banger on ocean fm. Looking for moments from listeners. Could be the start of some progress.

irish1967 wrote: »
    They just mentioned your banger on ocean fm. Looking for moments from listeners. Could be the start of some progress.

God bless them and you.

Called highland radio also.

They could hear the collie of course; it has been non stop.

We have no radio ; just was an idea from a far away relative.

Someone who knows the area well was out yesterday seeking the crowbanger..

He could hear it, but cannot find it.. It is bouncing off the mountains hence the echo effect we are getting.

Cannot repeat what he intends to do when he finds it.;)

Advertisement