Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sports scanner,which one?

Options
  • 11-05-2010 9:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭

hi, i am looking for a scanner/radio for attending bicycle races specifically.
    what model should i be looking for, where can i buy it?and what range does it have?
    thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭Scan Man

It depends on what those at the race are using (usually PMR radios). A basic scanner for about €70-€100 should give you the coverage you need.

I'm going to recommend the Uniden UBC72XLT or the Uniden UBC92XLT because both are simple enough to use, have good coverage (CB, VHF Land & Air & Marine, and UHF)but has both have a very important feature: Close Call. This feature means that at any event, you'll be able to find the frequencies being used as soon as someone with a radio hits the Push-To-Talk button. You can then save it to the memory and monitor it.

The UBC72XLT has 100 channel memory and the UBC92XLT has a 200 channel memory (that's the only difference between them), which is more than enough for any race, rally, air show, or whatever you're attending. The difficulty will be getting the scanner at a good price, keep a eye on eBay, Adverts.ie, and Gumtree.ie. Avoid the main scanner stores like Maplins, CQ Comms, etc. as they literally charge €100 mark up on top of a €100-150 price tag, when in reality most scanners are worth €70-€150 depending on features.

A brand new BC72XLT from the US on eBay will cost approximately €84 including shipping (you'll need a US to UK plug adapter). But on Donedeal there's a used UBC92XLT for €60 on sale at the moment, here. If I was you, I'd try that first and even though it doesn't come with a manual, you can download this for free on-line.

Most important thing about getting any scanner is to read the manual, read it at least three times and then practice using the scanner with the manual nearby.

If you've any questions, feel free to PM me.

Advertisement