Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Casuals/Tournaments in Cork

Options
  • 11-05-2010 10:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭

I'll be heading down to Cork for the Summer and will hopefully be engaging in some SF when I'm down there.
    From what I gather, streetfighter.ie does get some decent traffic from Cork, so there's clearly a player base available.
    Unfortunately Cork doesn't have any console equipped gaming cafés like Dublin, but I've been searching around and emailing some places that could potentially host a tournament - community halls, hotel function rooms, back rooms in bars, etc in the hope of finding a location that wont cost an arm and a leg to rent.
    The going rate is about €20 per hour for community halls which is a manageable price. I'm still waiting back on responses from most places, but hopefully I'll get something good.
    Having said all that, I've only ever been to Cork once before for a day, so I'm probably overlooking some possible candidates for tournament hosting - if anyone knows Cork at all and has any suggestions, please let me know!
    Also, as this wont be in a café I'll need to supply equipment, or find somewhere that has some. I can supply two 360s and possibly 2 PC moniters, but at least for a first tournament I dont expect a massive turnout so that may be enough.
    Also, if anyone knows anyone in Cork who'd be interested in fighting games in general, tell them to get in contact here so we can get this thing going.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

I applied for a job in cork and if i get it i'll be relocating. If that happens i'll be helping to get this off the ground.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

animaX wrote: »
    I applied for a job in cork and if i get it i'll be relocating. If that happens i'll be helping to get this off the ground.

:eek:

Ti...ger?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

I just got an email back from the Windsor Inn Hotel - a small hotel/bar right in the city centre. They said they'd allow me to use their bar's back room for €30 for the day and would hope to see it used regularly, which sounds pretty perfect.
    I wont be able to properly scope the place out for another 3 weeks, but hopefully that could be my new second home =)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Misty Chaos

I'm up in Cork every day at present because of college, ( After today, my workload will be MUCH lighter ) I could have a look at the place for ya, not to far from the train station either so its not out of my way.

Send me a PM.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

If there is something SF-related going on in Cork, I'll probably make the trip.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

That is so typical, I might be moving to Galway for the summer and I was thinkin' "oh yeah, me and Sairus could get something off the ground there", but NO :(

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    That is so typical, I might be moving to Galway for the summer and I was thinkin' "oh yeah, me and Sairus could get something off the ground there", but NO :(

You helped in Limerick, I am sure you can help Galway get going too.

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    I take my avoiding of fighting you very seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭BanjoB

Cork is a handy spin for me so id gladly come down some weekends. Get somethin goin men!.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Generic_name01

Tournaments in Cork is alot easier to attend then tournaments in dublin! Would definitely head up for that with enough notice to book that day off work!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Slugs

EPIC ^^ I'll be done the LC on 25th June,so will be free to compete then and it would be brilliant to see something take off in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

Fair play guys, look forward to the cork v limerick v dublin team tournies in the future.

Terry, don't goooooo :(

lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭ayjayirl

What country is Cork in? :D

ayjayirl wrote: »
    What country is Cork in? :D
    Same place as hell, it's just got nicer wimmenz :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

Sisko wrote: »
    Terry, don't goooooo :(

The only available lecturing position in the whole of ireland is in Cork :(

My chances of getting it are very slim though.

Sairus wrote: »
    I just got an email back from the Windsor Inn Hotel - a small hotel/bar right in the city centre. They said they'd allow me to use their bar's back room for €30 for the day and would hope to see it used regularly, which sounds pretty perfect.
    I wont be able to properly scope the place out for another 3 weeks, but hopefully that could be my new second home =)
    Meant to say as well. Don't use the Windsor, it's a dump, and very rough. See can you find somewhere else.

Slugs wrote: »
    Meant to say as well. Don't use the Windsor, it's a dump, and very rough. See can you find somewhere else.

Ah right. The search continues then!

To be honest, and I know this shouldn't deter you from looking but I'm going to have to mention it, you're very unlikely to find anywhere in the city that's reasonably priced, and anywhere that's reasonably priced, isn't going to be the best place. Not trying to use a floorbrush here, but your best bet to find a place would be a suburb, or perhaps a community/gaa/sports hall of some description.

Yar, the Windor's price was far below the average price I've been getting for city centreish locations. Ideally I wouldn't want to get anything too far out of the city though, regardless of price. I find that for these sorts of things, especially the first ones, new people are unwilling to travel very far for them. After random passersby see how much of a super awesome fun time they are they might be more willing to get buses into the suburbs =)
    Having said that, I have been checking anywhere I can find that even remotely looks like it could be a viable venue - Sports/Community Halls, Hotels, Bars, etc. The furthest I've looked is Rochestown - though realistically that's much too far.

If you have any suggestions on possible sugestions, please throw them up!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Why not contact UCCs game society? Something could easily be arranged in conjunction with them. UCC is very central for all out of town players (5 mins on a bus from town or 15 min walk). Obviously, the term is nearly over, but its a good long term bet.

• Advertisement

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Why not contact UCCs game society? Something could easily be arranged in conjunction with them. UCC is very central for all out of town players (5 mins on a bus from town or 15 min walk). Obviously, the term is nearly over, but its a good long term bet.
    Ya but I mean, I'm sure they'd have no problem with us using the campus during the summer? I was there once for a drama thingy years ago. Decent facilities.

They were one of my first stops =)
    I'm still waiting on a response from an email.

Advertisement