Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Zola Sacked by West ham

• 11-05-2010 10:30am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭

according to the BBC breaking news bar . . .

I think he deserved another year personally

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I didn't think he'd get fired to be honest. I always assumed he'd leave of his own accord.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,391 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Yup on SSN too. Decent manager to be fair, West Ham isn't the easiest club to manage.

Chairman said like 2 weeks he wanted him to stay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Jesus, I actually didn't see that coming. Their board come across as arrogant, clueless fcuks though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Pot Noodle =

That new board will rape West Ham for every bean they did it to my club

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

in a list of problems at that club, he ain't too high up on it tbh. decent young manager.

• Advertisement

That_Guy wrote: »
    I didn't think he'd get fired to be honest. I always assumed he'd leave of his own accord.

And avoid a possible payout?

What managers do that?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

:( i thought he at least had them playing nice, good football. good pace and creative enough. to be fair when the were dreadfull they really were awful if ya get me. Dont think the new board trusts him re transfers by the look of it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Not surprised. seems like a decent guy but not sure he is cut out to be a manager. Seems a bit too human :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Drummerboy2

To be honest I'm not surprised. The two low-life's who have taken over West Ham would want a chav manager to match the profile of their club. Zola was too nice a guy for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

At least Zola leaves with his dignity and credibility intact.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

I hope they get relegated to the Championship next season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

No one can be shocked by this (apart from the fact he didn't walk first) the Barrow Boys were clearly undermining him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

A bit sad to see him go but they were lucky this year to stay up, they need a good manager in there soon and a couple of additions are they will fall into the Championship next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

West Ham fans talking about McLeish and Hughes. :D

Yeah, dream on boys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

He'll get another shot somewhere, and he probably deserves it. The new owners have said and done some questionable things since they took charge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭Kirnsy

When a club is paying keiron dyer £70k a week you know it has problems... didn't Boa Morte have a go at the owners earlier this season too?

bad decision IMO. thought he was going to walk tbh. Wonder what happened that he was pushed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭bullpost

Kirnsy wrote: »
    When a club is paying keiron dyer £70k a week you know it has problems... didn't Boa Morte have a go at the owners earlier this season too?

bad decision IMO. thought he was going to walk tbh. Wonder what happened that he was pushed?
    They've been undermining him for a while now. He's gone public on this so that was probably enough. With those in charge he's better off out of there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

I think people are being blinded by Zola's popularity as a player. West Ham were an incredibly disorganised outfit under him. Him and Clark had them drilled well, they were capable of playing some nice football at times, but the tactics and defensive organisation were an outright shambles at times. Even before the board started undermining him they were so hit and miss I don't think you can say he was taking them anywhere. It's a shame, like everyone I'd like to see the wee man do well for himself, but I think West Ham was too big a job too soon for someone of his ability.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I think people are being blinded by Zola's popularity as a player. West Ham were an incredibly disorganised outfit under him. Him and Clark had them drilled well, they were capable of playing some nice football at times, but the tactics and defensive organisation were an outright shambles at times. Even before the board started undermining him they were so hit and miss I don't think you can say he was taking them anywhere. It's a shame, like everyone I'd like to see the wee man do well for himself, but I think West Ham was too big a job too soon for someone of his ability.

A lot of truth to this. Realistically speaking the vast majority of former players aren't up to their first full - time club appointment being at the highest level of the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭Kirnsy

Yeah when I said bad decision, I meant from the board's popularity point of view. Like I said I thought he was going to walk and that would have suited everyone. He must have changed his mind because Sullivan and co couldn't be that stupid...could they?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,445 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Agree with this wholeheartedly. While the new (and old) board weren't exactly giving him the easiest time, his tactical decisions throughout this season have been dieabolical, even before Sullivan and Gold took over.
    I wish him well as a manager and I'm certain he'll get a decent welcome back to the Boleyn Ground if he ever returns but he's not up to being a manager just yet I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,014 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Fully agree. Well said, good post.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

Sorry to see Zola get the sack, nice guy. maybe too nice for management. Perhaps assistant manager or coaching would suit him better.
    Best of Luck Zola

Question is who can take over?

SarahBM wrote: »
    Sorry to see Zola get the sack, nice guy. maybe too nice for management. Perhaps assistant manager or coaching would suit him better.
    Best of Luck Zola

Question is who can take over?
    Avram Grant is odds on favourite followed by Slaven Bilic, Mark Hughes and Alex McLeish. Dean Ashton is 80/1 :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

Youd never know, maybe Rafa will be free sometime soon....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Bilic is a good shout to take over being ex-West Ham and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭LETS BE AVN IT

Zola was praised for steering the side he took over from Alan Curbishley to a creditable ninth place finish in 2009, but that season was also blighted by a disastrous run of form that left West Ham flirting with the relegation zone for a large chunk of the season. The proof of this particular pudding can be found in the Italian's overall league record as West Ham boss: played 80, won 23, drawn 21, lost 36, providing a win percentage of just 28.75. This is by far the lowest of any of the Hammers' Premier League managers - even the much maligned Glenn Roeder managed 31.39% (from a comparable 86 games). Avram Grant should be our next manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

Anyone just see SSN? He brought tea and coffe out to the reporters camped outside his house. Brilliant! Claasy Guy. Didn't deserve to go, it was a great achievement to keep them up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Nice guy, undermined by 2 guys more interested in hearing their own voices BUT he finished on 35 points, terrible return. West Ham were terrible all year, not a even a decent bit of form all season.
    And he's made some bad signings, Savio anyone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

JPA wrote: »
    Nice guy, undermined by 2 guys more interested in hearing their own voices BUT he finished on 35 points, terrible return. West Ham were terrible all year, not a even a decent bit of form all season.
    And he's made some bad signings, Savio anyone?

Sure wasn't he only on loan? Diamanti was him only real signing i think and he didn't do too bad this season. Ilan pitched in with a few goals too. It doesn't really matter how may points he accumulated, he kept them up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Degag wrote: »
    Sure wasn't he only on loan? Diamanti was him only real signing i think and he didn't do too bad this season. Ilan pitched in with a few goals too. It doesn't really matter how may points he accumulated, he kept them up!

No, Savio was not on loan, 2nd or 3rd highest signing for them. He went back to Italy , swapped with Da Costa.

JPA wrote: »
    No, Savio was not on loan, 2nd or 3rd highest signing for them. He went back to Italy , swapped with Da Costa.
    Actually he was (and still is I think) our record signing :( £9 million and he was back in Italy at the start of the following season.
    No doubt he's a nice guy and I don't think any West Ham fan has anything bad to say about him as a person, but his decisions this season have been infuriating at times. Spector, an average right back, played at left back for the majority of the second half of the season while a perfectly capable (albeit young) left back in Daprela sat on the bench.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Degag wrote: »
    Anyone just see SSN? He brought tea and coffe out to the reporters camped outside his house. Brilliant! Claasy Guy. Didn't deserve to go, it was a great achievement to keep them up.
    You just can't not like this guy!

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Advertisement