Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of getting a couple of hens..

Options
  • 11-05-2010 10:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 446 ✭✭

What should I know? I live in a terraced house with a 60ft long back garden. We also have two kittens, so I know I would have to get/ make a coop and a covering for their run area. What is the best breed, if any? The eggs will be used for domestic cooking, nothing fancy! What sort of stuff is best to feed them? And where would I buy such feed? I'm in North County Dublin.
    Do I need to get straw for them to nest in?

As you can see, I'm absolutely clueless, so would like ANY advice!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Here's a site full of info. on hen care https://www.omlet.co.uk/shop/shop.php?cat=Chicken%20Keeping there's another thread on here atm talking about different foods to feed.
    I'd avoid chicken wire it's very flimsy, proper aviary wire 1/4 inch heavy guage will keep any rodents out. It's cheaper to build your own if you can. Was looking at some ready made ones in a hardware shop and they were a fierce price and very flimsy looking.

Ex battery hens lay just fine there are a few people that rescue them and rehome them try irishanimals.ie forum you could pop a request in under homes offered.

Advertisement