Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boards Beginners Spin: Saturday 15th May

• 11-05-2010 10:46am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭

Right, carrying from this thread, we're gonna go for a beginners' spin this Saturday in Dublin/Wicklow

The Spin

This will be a very easy spin, primarily for people who've never done anything more than about 20km in one go, or for people who've never ridden in a group before and who have always wanted to go on a club or boards spin but never had the guts so far :D
    Of course everyone is welcome. You can't be too old, fat, slow or weak to join us, and when you get there you'll probably find someone is older, fatter, slower or weaker than you :)
    All or most of the people on the ride, like me, won't know eachother and will have never ridden in a group before, so there's no need to feel intimidated.

This isn't a boards-only spin. Bring a mate along if you want.

The Route

This is the proposed route. It's roughly 36km (not including the distance taken to get there). That sounds like a lot, but it's really not. We will be taking an easy pace. Even if you've never done more than 5km in one go, you will be surprised at how well you cope with this distance.

The route effectively has two legs:
    1. Leopardstown to Bray via Dun Laoghaire and along the coast (~18km)
    2. Bray to Sandyford via Enniskerry and Kilternan (~18km).

The first leg is a nice leisure ride, great views and that, and fairly flat. If you want to head back after the first leg, then work away, no-one will think badly of you.
    The second leg takes in some hills, but nothing insane and should be a good introduction to riding in the Wicklow hills. Note: I've never ridden the route, I'm relying on OS data to tell me how hilly it is, so I take no responsibility for errors :D

Timing

I'm taking 20km/h as the average pace. This is a deliberate lowball; better to be ahead of schedule than behind it. This means that including short breaks at Bray and Enniskerry, the spin should take no more than 3 hours at the worst. In reality, I imagine we'll be about 30 minutes ahead of schedule by the end.

There are two groups heading out with the aim to meet in Leopardstown (Junction of Leopardstown Rd and N11) at 10am.
    One group is meeting at Connolly station, leaving at 9.15am
    The other group is meeting in Dundrum, leaving no later than 9.30am. We'll gather in the usual boards spot here.
    On the other hand, if you want to meet us at Leopardstown at 10am, then that's cool.
    I'll be leaving from Hunterswood at 9:10, so if you don't fancy going to Dundrum on your own, wait for me in Woodstown village and I'll spin in on my way down to see if anyone is there.

If you arrive late, don't panic, just follow us, we'll be following the above route.
    We'll be at Leopardstown at roughly 10am, leaving probably before 10:10.
    We should arrive in Bray around 11am, probably heading on at 11:15 - 11:20.
    We'll hit Enniskerry around 12:15, heading on by 12:30. And so we should finish in Sandyford outside the entrance to Aiken's Village at 1pm.

We could be well ahead of these timings or a bit behind (but most likely the former).

Guidelines, etc

See this thread for guidelines on group riding. We will be obeying the rules of the road. Whatever your opinion about breaking the lights on your own; ten or fifteen riders breaking the lights at once is a whole other beast and we won't be doing it.

Since the intention here is not to scare anyone away :D I think the most sensible thing is to go on relaxed guidelines. Most club spins move at the pace of the fastest person, but considering that we've no idea what level everyone else is at, I think it's best if everyone goes at their own pace. We'll probably find that everyone's pace is actually fairly close and riding in groups usually inspires you to up your effort somewhat. If you notice that you're much faster than the group and you want to maintain that pace, then don't feel pressured into staying with the group and burn off if you want to.

What you need
    - A road bike or hybrid with road tyres, two working brakes and at least 6 gears (!). Flat bars are fine for this spin, but most club spins insist on drop bars. We can't/won't turn anyone away for turning up on an MTB, but if you turn up with knobbly tyres and 700mm bars, you will find the ride very hard going.

- Tools. The bare minimum of most tool kits has at least one spare tube, a pump, tyre levers for removing your tyre and a selection of the most common allen keys; Usually 3mm - 6mm on a multi-tool. You can pick up a multi-tool (they're like a swiss Army knife with allen keys) in Halfords for a tenner or so. If you don't have quick-release wheels (again, most club spins insist on these), you absolutely must bring with you, the spanner(s) to remove either of your wheels. Sometimes the nuts on the back and front wheels are different, so check them first.
    Your own tools are essential because if you have a flat halfway between Bray and Enniskerry and can't repair it, we're going to assume you turned around and went home, and leave Enniskerry without you. Don't assume you'll be able to borrow someone else's tools. :)
    The advisable minimum tool kit is two spare tubes, tyre levers, a pump and a multi-tool.

- Your mobile phone. In case you have to ring your friend/mum/wife to get picked up :)

- Money

- A water bottle.

What's not required (but nice to have)

- Gloves. If it's anything like this week, you can expect temperatures to be quite chilly for the first 90 minutes or so, so long-fingered gloves are a good idea. You can then change into half-finger gloves (or no gloves) as the temps increase and you start to sweat.

- A rain jacket. They can be cumbersome to carry, but if it rains you'll be glad of it.

- Shorts and a t-shirt (or tights & cycling jersey, etc). Yes, it might be cold when we start out, but as we move you will warm up. If you turn up in a full tracksuit, you will be melting by the time we get to Bray.

I think that's it. No doubt someone will point out something, and I'll add it to this post which is about 3,000 characters longer than I expected. No need to stick this and clutter up the stickies, we'll just keep it bumped.

So far, the people who are in, we have

Lethal_Bullet
    Wingman2010
    Blowfish
    sweetswing
    littleredspot
    seamus

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

seamus wrote: »
    Usually groups meet outside Joe Daly cycles, but to avoid confusion if another group are there, probably best if we meet outside the estate agent (Vincent Finnegan) directly across the road?

just fyi, Orwell spins usually meet there, boardsie spins under the luas bridge would be the norm...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

So, here?

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭littleredspot

Well hijacked and clarified, sometimes we all need a bit of a dictator leader boss inspirational figure:D I'll be going from Connolly.

See ye then:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭sweetswing

thanks for taking the time to post that, ill be at connolly aswell , see ya there lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Im having some on and off medical annoyances that has me off the bike but depending how I feel near the end of the week I'd should be up for this.
    when you get there you'll probably find someone is older, fatter, slower or weaker than you

Baggsies being that guy!

• Advertisement

So, here?

Nearly being pedantic, but usually here

Nearly being pedantic, but usually here
    "Nearly"? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭c0rk3r

- Your mobile phone. In case you have to ring your friend/mum/wife to get picked up :)

Oh the Shame ;)

A firm maybe depending on friday night shenanigans

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭WithCheesePlease

c0rk3r wrote: »
    A firm maybe depending on friday night shenanigans

ditto

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Wowzer. Detailed.

Cya then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 336 ✭✭Gasco

Am up for this, leaving Hunterswoods as well Seamus - will try to rendezvous at Woodstown.
    G'co

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

ah its about time i did one of these. if just to get off the couch. I'm in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭daragh_

Fair play. If it was Sunday I would join you. Maybe next time. :)

Bump:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭Wingman2010

Hi all,

Is everyone set for Saturday?

I got a pair of them cycling shorts this evening; it should make the cycle a little easier :rolleyes:

Are there many joining me at Connolly station?

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭littleredspot

Hiya Wingman, I'll see you at Connolly, at the LUAS stop? I'll be a vision in black lycra:o flat bars too. I'll be there for 9.05
    Paul

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭Wingman2010

Cool; I'll meet you there (red bike). I'm trying to convince my housemate also but I'll see how that goes!

I'll definitely be having a big bowl of porridge on Saturday :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

No promises as i am working Friday night but I'll try and be there at Dundrum.

Connoly at 9 is grand. Blue bike with drops.

• Advertisement

Hopefully be at Connolly myself - dark grey bike with straight bars.

another hopeful for connolly. blue and black felt road bike. lycra free.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭rasher_b2

Hey, been a lurker in the forum for a while. Never been on a boards cycle before but hopefully I can make this one. I can meet everyone at Leopardstown Junction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Wish i hadn't injured my ankle last week i would have been well up for joining you all in bray for the last leg.

next one for sure as i haven't been out on my bike for more than 5kms yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

rasher_b2 wrote: »
    Hey, been a lurker in the forum for a while. Never been on a boards cycle before but hopefully I can make this one. I can meet everyone at Leopardstown Junction.
    Grand, if you spot someone in the boards kit there, poke me. Easiest spot to meet there is probably at the picture of Mary.

so whats the stance on helmets. do you guys wear one.i never wear one, but is there an etiquette? should i break it out and dust off?

funkyjebus wrote: »
    so whats the stance on helmets. do you guys wear one.i never wear one, but is there an etiquette? should i break it out and dust off?
    Specifically didn't mention it. Personal choice, but if you ever intend on joining a club spin, they won't let you out without one (insurance and such).
    Grand, if you spot someone in the boards kit there, poke me. Easiest spot to meet there is probably at the picture of Mary.
    Not sure where that it, but I would have though the North-East corner was the easiest one to meet up at. I'll be in boards kit too, and no doubt a couple of others.

rasher, if you get there and there's no-one there, then you're either too early or too late. If it's 10 o'clock you're probably too early. If it's 10.15 you're probably too late, so you can chase us :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

Don't want to rain or your parade or spin but the Vico Road has been closed for months (just checked on the councils website) so you are going to have to re route up by Killiney Castle to the Druids Chair and rejoin your route there. (Have to go to work now) Trad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭abcdggs

trad wrote: »
    Don't want to rain or your parade or spin but the Vico Road has been closed for months (just checked on the councils website) so you are going to have to re route up by Killiney Castle to the Druids Chair and rejoin your route there. (Have to go to work now) Trad.
    was up there a week or two ago, it's closed alrite but is pedestrian passable, you will have to lift bike onto path to get past a barrier though. great little hill though

• Advertisement

Thanks for that, I've updated the route...
    http://www.mapmyride.com/route/detail/17007536/

We can go for it if people want...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Highway_To_Hell

I stand to be corrected but I think it is OK for bikes/walkers, I don't live too far away and can check it out tonight, I just noticed on the route that you are travelling the wrong way down a oneway road. The Vico road at the victoria road junction is one way until you get past Strathmore road (only around 500 meters) but narrow with bends if you are travelling in a large bunch.

here is a link to a slight detour, included Bullock Harbour which is a nicer route then through Dalkey village (unless you want to stop in "Mugs Cafe" best coffee in South County Dublin), Knock na Cree road on this route is a shot sharp uphill but over quickly, also you need to be carefull going down Killiney Hill Road (after Killiney village) as it is quite steep and lots of conceled entrances with cars exiting looking out for bikes not cars. I always take the middle of the lane along here as there is no way a car will or should pass you out and at least you are more visable to exiting cars.

enjoy the spin

Its closed for 20 ft and the path is still open. Did it last week.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

abcdggs wrote: »
    was up there a week or two ago, it's closed alrite but is pedestrian passable, you will have to lift bike onto path to get past a barrier though. great little hill though

Yeah, it's OK. Didn't the el t V The Mock. race mean to go up there but diverted. I was up there on the Vico and Blorg, Voodoo and "Nice n easy or something" came along. Just up on the path job.
    Might join you guys as I'm just in Stillorgan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Not sure where that it, but I would have though the North-East corner was the easiest one to meet up at. I'll be in boards kit too, and no doubt a couple of others.
    Yep, that's the same corner. There's a liturgical church there (whatever the hell that is), so the Mary billboard makes a handy landmark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭scottreynolds

Would it be okay to bring a friend - His name is Peter Doyle. He thinks he's all that on a bike.... wears euro kit for his 10km ride to work. I think he may be interested?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Would it be okay to bring a friend - His name is Peter Doyle. He thinks he's all that on a bike.... wears euro kit for his 10km ride to work. I think he may be interested?

Yeah but..............they're going up Vico Road. It's very steep!

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭scottreynolds

Planet X wrote: »
    Yeah but..............they're going up Vico Road. It's very steep!

:)

Is it normal for fellow riders to call each other fat.... he's calls me the Wicklow Whale when I cycle beside him. He's mean and make me fell like driving everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭jeffontour

make me fell like driving everywhere.

I'm confused, is it your whale like stature makes you want to drive everywhere? :D

Should encourage you to loose the blubber:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Keedowah

Would love to go - but busy this weekend and the next few - so will keep my eyes peeled for future beginner spins. Great idea!

• Advertisement

Planet X wrote: »
    "Nice n easy or something"

just lol :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

The Vico Road appears passable by footpath for about 10m at the Dalkey end but only outside working hours otherwise there is a lot of activity there atm otherwise no problems but beware! Also, I cycled from Killiney coast road on Wednesday morning going to work at about 9.30am and it was completely blocked by machinery/cement lorries etc. at Bono's gaff. A work colleague had cycled the same way a couple of hours previously and said it was open then so you might be alright if it's outside working hours-as you will be.

Right, I'm gonna jinx it. Looking good for tomorrow weather-wise. Not too cold anymore (like today), should be a predominantly westerly wind which will catch us at various parts of the trip, but I don't think it'll murder us for very long at any point.

Ignore my previous post about the route, we'll stick with the one in the OP. If Vico Rd is completely impassable, we'll decide what to do then. There is however a ridiculouly steep section of Vico Rd about 500m long which I didn't see before...

Scattered showers are predicted, but I won't be wearing raingear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Think I'll try and come along too :)

Ok, I'm in for sure. See ye all at Connolly for 9ish.

Looking forward to it now! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭Ant

Well done to Seamus for putting the effort into organising this. I was off the bike with an injury between October and Paddy's day only to suffer a back injury a few weeks ago. I was able to cycle the short commute to work yesterday and today so I'm thinking this would be a great way to get back out for a proper cycle. As long as my lower back is behaving itself, I'll meet ye in Dundrum.

Ant wrote: »
    Well done to Seamus for putting the effort into organising this.

And in fairness kudos has to go also to Wingman2010 for suggesting it in the first place...

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭rasher_b2

Blowfish wrote: »

rasher, if you get there and there's no-one there, then you're either too early or too late. If it's 10 o'clock you're probably too early. If it's 10.15 you're probably too late, so you can chase us :)

Picture of Mary should be the north east corner. Seems like the best spot since people coming from town/Dundrum along the N11 will be on that side.

I'll try to be there a bit early to make sure I don't have to try catch up :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 mitteman

good idea and fair play for organisation effort et al.

Will join if for the spin if ye'll have me!

The more the merrier!

• Advertisement
Advertisement