Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boards Beginners Spin: Saturday 15th May

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Alas I am out for tomorrow as work are sending me to England for the weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭Wingman2010

Seamus did all the hard work all fairness :D

See you all bright and early in the morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭souter

I'll join ye at Conolly at 9, weather and any hangover permitting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Gonna give old unreliable a quick once over now to make sure she's fit for the morning.

Cya at nine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭c0rk3r

Average HR - 142
    Kcal - 462
    Distance 5.9km
    Av speed 10kmph
    Max speed 41.5 kmph
    Cadence - 98
    Ride time 35minutes

Chain broke on oconnell street... I had brought my bike to an lbs 2 days ago and had a chain link put on(€8). I foolishly lost the tiny metal rod that links the chain together when i was cleaning the bike. Shoddy work on their part and ill never return. Luckily i wasnt in enniskerry or the like when it happened. I walked with the bike from town to Glasnevin, why o why did everyone seem to be walking on the righthand side of the road

Back. Thanks to Seamus and Gary[Blowfish] for leading us. Gary will still be in the hills with the lads that decided they wanted to do 140km. Including Ant ye mad bástard ye![Singlespeed:rolleyes:]

Sorry, but I've forgotten all your names already, its nothing personal I just cant remember names for the life of me.

Have to say kudos to Wingman, for him Connoly to Lerpordstown was long, yet he still made it to Eniskerry[albeit by a different route]. I'm really jealous of all your bikes btw, my junker held up though with the exception of two dropped chains.

Lidl Speedo:[Read 45.6 when the roadside yoke said 43]
    600M from Connoly->Eniskerry->Churchtown
    DST: 61.97KM
    MX Speed: 53.2
    AvgSpeed: 23.5 :p
    TripTime: 2'38"

And I'm glad to say I'm not werecked. Though I could do with some eggs.

Thanks again Lads, Laragh next time?

Lads,

I'm just home. 65k on my clock :) I really enjoyed; it was tough at times but I'm delighted I did it. The most I cycled before was 20k and that was only once so I'm very proud. I don't know how I did it to be honest!

I special thanks to Gasco. I would have given up without him. If he wasn't with me I would have given up at Bray :D

Thanks again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yeah that was fun. When you've others with you, you don't really notice the numbness or the passing of time.

Only casualty was Anthony on his fixie. After cycling from Kilmainham to Dundrum to meet us, five minutes later his cog decides to shear off the hub. Didn't realise you had a flip-flop hub, so when you said you were gonna walk home I was like :eek: Good thing you did switch to the singlespeed. When I saw you climbing Vico Rd on singlespeed without breaking a sweat, I had a suspicion that you were actually blorg in disguise. When you decided to go with the Laragh group, I knew it was you. Or at least you were separated from blorg at birth. Nutter :)

Cheers to Gary and his Garmin for leading us. I got kind of lazy and just left you to it :p. You can hand over a crappy call to me in work on Monday.

Fairplay to Wingman, I think you did more mileage than the rest of us. The key is not doing it as fast as you can, it's doing it at all. Now that you know you can do 65k without collapsing, you'll be more confident doing 40k and 60k spins.

Think there was seven of us did the shorter route, another seven who are probably still in the hills....

Reset the speedo accidentally at Leopardstown, so haven't counted the 14k to there...
    Dst 47.88km
    Max 56.1km/h
    Avg. 23.5km/h

Aside from Vico Rd, there were no major hills, just a couple of longish ascents. The wind didn't really affect us leaving Bray, which was good. The last 10k home from Sandyford was the toughest for me, it was headwind all the way. I was tired enough starting out (8am on a Saturday, wtf :p), bit of a headache now... :/

The second-best thing about a good spin on the bike; Guilt-free cake and beer later on, wohoo!

Looking forward to the next one (baggsies not organising it)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

You guys got a great day for it.

saw a load of cyclists out myself today, i went off to buy some gear, then at about two o'clock went out for a 10k cycle and have to say i'm wrecked after it due to my ankle still not fully healed stupid me.

will definitely go on these beginners cycles if they are on again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭sweetswing

I will start off by saying well done to everyone, we were blessed with the weather,
    now things i have learned today
    1- hills are a bugger
    2- scoffing a ninty nine and washing it down with lucozade is a bad idea
    3- clipless peddals look fairly easy to use
    4- hills are a bugger
    5- 40 is not that old after all

6- dont count on other people to read instructions on meeting point:D
    7- rideing in a group just takes common sence
    8- my bike looks weird compared to others
    9- going down hill is really good fun
    10-hills are a bugger:D
    i was delighted with how i finished the spin, i think i got my second wind cos i absoloutly flew home, i felt strong at the end , and that has left a smile on my face.

ill say sorry to wingman and littleredspot for shooting off at the end but i was pushed for time (daddy duties) and had to put the foot down.
    i caught a set of lights and just kept going.

Again ill say well done to all involved:D
    i will definitly be on the next one .
    cheers lads .

Enjoyed that spin, great weather and scenery and good to see new faces.
    Bailed out of the "lets do more hills" group at Glencree pleading familial commitments, which entailed watching the FA Cup and shouting at the kids to leave daddy because he was tired.
    85km, avg 22.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭Ant

seamus wrote: »
    Yeah that was fun. When you've others with you, you don't really notice the numbness or the passing of time.

That was my first time on a spin with more than one other person and I really enjoyed it. I must say that pretty much everyone I chatted to was friendly and very personable. You really didn't notice the time or the kilometers going by. I was pleasantly surprised to find that after entering my route into mapmyride, I'd done 77km.
    Only casualty was Anthony on his fixie. After cycling from Kilmainham to Dundrum to meet us, five minutes later his cog decides to shear off the hub. Didn't realise you had a flip-flop hub, so when you said you were gonna walk home I was like :eek: Good thing you did switch to the singlespeed.

I was well pissed off when the lockring and cog came off the hub. I hadn't used my freewheel in so long, I'd actually forgotten all about the fact that I'd a flip-flop hub and told Seamus to go on without me as I prepared myself for a miserable walk home. I soon realised that all I needed to do was to take the wheel off and flip it around. This didn't take long as I always carry a 10mm spanner with me since otherwise a spare tube is useless. I found my way to the corner at Leopardstown and caught up with the rest of the lads waiting there.
    When I saw you climbing Vico Rd on singlespeed without breaking a sweat, I had a suspicion that you were actually blorg in disguise. When you decided to go with the Laragh group, I knew it was you. Or at least you were separated from blorg at birth. Nutter :)

I'm not mad enough to have cycled to Laragh and I'm certainly not that strong a cyclist. I'm flattered by the comparison with blorg but you're never going to hear me talking about cycling to cork in day! Funny you should say that though. Not so long ago, I stumbled across a photo of me in my commuting guise posted to this forum by some sneaky paparazzo just over a year ago. :)

I actually felt fairly good while we were stopped in Enniskerry. I only heard Blowfish mention Sally Gap and figured it was a good opportunity to become better acquainted with Wicklow (I didn't hear the part about Laragh until later on).

In the end, James, Leo (don't know their Boards usernames), Souter and I accompanied Blowfish as far as Glencree (via Powerscourt waterfall entrance) and we took a break in Glencree for some tasty treats. It came at a good time for me as I'd got a touch of the bonk on the ascent approaching Glencree and I'm not ashamed to admit that I had to walk the last 100m or so as I tucked into a couple of nutri-grain bars. (See, I'm not blorg).

Afterwards, Blowfish continued on his route for Sally Gap and Laragh, James went back the way we came to get to Enniskerry while Leo and I came back to Dublin via Stocking Lane. I was actually very glad that I had the freewheel for this descent as I wouldn't have enjoyed it half as much had I been forced to spin like crazy the whole way down.
    Cheers to Gary and his Garmin for leading us.
    And thanks also for taking the four of us as far as Glencree.

Many thanks again to Seamus for putting the time and effort into organising this ride - even if we did end up splitting in the grand tradition of Irish political parties in the 20th century. Until today, I was afraid to go into Wicklow. Now I know that I just need to approach the hills from the East and that Stocking Lane is only for going down - not up! :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Got back about an hour ago. Glorious day for it and we had a good turnout. All I can say is I'm glad I got the Garmin this week as I would have been utterly lost (especially around Blessington) without it as my sense of direction really isn't that great.

Cheers for the company as far as Glencree, cycling with others definitely makes the hills easier.

Fair play to those who hadn't done anything like this before, you did far better than I did on my first time up Vico road as I ended up walking a chunk of it.

Accidentally turned the Garmin off around Manor Kilbride and only noticed at the start of the Wicklow Gap so I don't have full stats, but from what I can work out:

Distance: ~147km
    Max Speed: 76.8km/h
    Average speed: ~24km/h

Considering my longest spin before this was about 105km, I'm pretty happy :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭xz

you lot didn't happen to pass through Ballybrack village on your way back today?? Saw 4 unfamiliar riders heading towards Ballybrack from Shankill direction @ 12:30 today

Ant wrote: »
    Now I know that I just need to approach the hills from the East and that Stocking Lane is only for going down - not up! :-)

Its not that bad, after seeing you on Vico you're fine for stocking once you take your time.

Next Week?
    map_boardsies.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 336 ✭✭Gasco

An enjoyable spin alright. First time on a bike in 5 weeks so happy to do 68 km with no major hassles, apart from a severe hamstring cramp on Stocking Lane 5 k from home, thankfully I live at the bottom of Stocking Avenue.

Well done to Wingman, 65 k on your first trip out! One thing I have experienced in the boards spins I have been on is that no one gets left behind, I have been gratefully towed home on many occasions. And thanks again for the coffee in Enniskerry.

G'co

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

You guys sound like you had a bit of fun. I need to ask though, today I went up stocking lane and on to Johnnie Fox's (came from Glasnevin), about 70km in my total trip, max speed of 61km and average of 20km/h ( pretty low I know), but I had to stop 4 times on the way up between stomach cramps and my legs actually losing all power until I walked for a bit. If what you guys did was a beginners run, where the hell does that leave me? Still happy with myself for making it the whole way, but still questioning ability?

You guys sound like you had a bit of fun. I need to ask though, today I went up stocking lane and on to Johnnie Fox's (came from Glasnevin), about 70km in my total trip, max speed of 61km and average of 20km/h ( pretty low I know), but I had to stop 4 times on the way up between stomach cramps and my legs actually losing all power until I walked for a bit. If what you guys did was a beginners run, where the hell does that leave me? Still happy with myself for making it the whole way, but still questioning ability?

We didnt go via stocking(some went down it later in the afternoon). I'd say it woulda taken it out of a few of the lads.

My first time up I stopped 3 times. I now take one break at the driveway before the carpentry place and then up to the top. Alot of it is working out your own cadence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭littleredspot

Hey, thanks to everyone for a great morning, thoroughly enjoyed it. Vico was a struggle alright but its done now so it can be done again and I was there to be challenged. The rest of the spin was more relaxed, a nice mix of pace and plenty of breaks. Friendly folk too and I liked that there was no pressure to have super shiney bikes/lycra (let alone gears or front derailleurs! ye're mad). Decidely hungry after mind, was tempted by that 99 Sweetswing. We saw you rocketing off, no problem. Was glad to be able to accompany the by now legendary Wingman on his triumphant return to the city center:D

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Well done all, many seemed to well outdo the original plan.

(let alone gears or front derailleurs! ye're mad).
    Cheers

Ant was mad with the SS. Me, I'm just too cheap to pay for something I'll rarely use. Got a granny gear on the back, thats all I need:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

We didnt go via stocking(some went down it later in the afternoon). I'd say it woulda taken it out of a few of the lads.

My first time up I stopped 3 times. I now take one break at the driveway before the carpentry place and then up to the top. Alot of it is working out your own cadence.

Ah, feel a bit better about it then, did vico on single speed before, what killer

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Picked up by Bike yesterday a Giant Rapid 4 and planning on doing some long cycles over the summer, so count me in for the next one.

Dude, just go for it.
    I thought I'd gone from beginner to larval stage with a couple of boards spins and deluded myself a beginners spin would be a nice recovery spin with a chance to show off in a subtle way.
    Didn't happen.
    People who hadn't cycled more than 20km in their life were waiting in Enniskerry.

Get in a group ride for whatever reason and you will have a bit more motivation, a bit more options and a bit more craic.

btw, 70km @ 20kmh is pretty hardcore to me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭Ant

Its not that bad, after seeing you on Vico you're fine for stocking once you take your time.

Vico was fine because it's so short. With a single-speed, you tend to go quickly up the hills as it's easier on the legs to maintain a higher cadence instead of mashing. However, this isn't very sustainable for longer hills without any level recovery sections and I just don't have that kind of stamina. Well not yet at any rate. Souter inspired me with his single-speed exploits from last year so I know it's possible.
    Next Week?

That route is a fair step-up as looking at it on an OSI map, it seems to involve a lot more climbing. I wouldn't mind trying it but I won't be around next Saturday.
    souter wrote: »
    Get in a group ride for whatever reason and you will have a bit more motivation, a bit more options and a bit more craic.

btw, 70km @ 20kmh is pretty hardcore to me

Harry,
    Like souter says, when you're with a group, you'll surprise yourself and do more than you expect. I'd be very happy with 70km @ 20kmh if it included climbing Stocking Hill. Once on a solo cycle, I climbed Cruagh (just to the East of Stocking Hill/Kilakee Road) and while I didn't get cramps, I felt slightly nauseous and had to walk two sections of it. I didn't encounter any other cyclists so that was alright. :)

I'm sure you'll be fine on any future beginners' spins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭jaqian

Sounds like a great day out. What kind of bikes were there (were there many hybrids/mtb)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Ant wrote: »
    Souter inspired me with his single-speed exploits from last year so I know it's possible.

Would that be the same Souter who now rides a geared bike? :pac:

Cruagh on a single speed! :eek:

jaqian wrote: »
    Sounds like a great day out. What kind of bikes were there (were there many hybrids/mtb)?

Few flats but primarily road bikes.

• Advertisement

Few flats but primarily road bikes.
    Proper order. I hope you all had your socks the right length.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

blorg wrote: »

With prominent LOGO placement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Actually I've a feeling I was wearing odd socks. Doesn't matter though, I'm far too hairy to be Euro in any case.

Your suggested route looks like a bit of a step up for some of us Lethal Bullet, maybe in a couple of weeks time. I was thinking of some variation of this for Saturday

http://www.mapmyride.com/route/ie/dublin/231127408648374387#success

Those that fancy a climb could loop over Howth head and meet the others in the village. Apart from that its flat. If you wanted a shorter spin you could turn back along the coast after Howth or cut off the Donabate loop. If you wanted to lenghten it you could add a Skerries/Balbriggan loop. I'm thinking of leaving town earlier, about 7-7.30 the coast road is nicest then and we'd avoid sunny-day-tripping traffic

If anyone's up for it we'll start a fresh thread (copy and pasting most of Seamus's first post;))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

eek. 7.30. i wanted to go last sat, but was too early!! im defo out of this one if it goes at that time. is it even bright at that time!!!!!!

funkyjebus wrote: »
    eek. 7.30. i wanted to go last sat, but was too early!! im defo out of this one if it goes at that time. is it even bright at that time!!!!!!
    Civil twilight (enough light to see) from 4:28 AM Saturday morning, sunrise at 5:14 AM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭sweetswing

The route suggested it a lovely one, but 7.30 is to early for me to.
    now 8.30 or 9 would be fantastic :D

Nobody for stocking:p

Early spin suits me actually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Civil twilight (enough light to see) from 4:28 AM Saturday morning, sunrise at 5:14 AM.

How interesting, I had to Google that.

"In general, civil twilight is the point where artificial illumination is required to read outside."

• Advertisement

Lumen wrote: »
    Would that be the same Souter who now rides a geared bike? :pac:

Cruagh on a single speed! :eek:

Bah! If it wasn't for these pesky kids I'd still be masquerading as a fixie hipster.
    Sad to say my fixie rear sprocket is growing teeth inexorably and has somehow aquired a free wheel unnoticed.
    Ironically my knees are giving me more jip now than they did last year - either it's a delayed reaction to my SS past or just that gears let me torture myself at a lower intensity for longer.

Keep the faith Ant, you would breeze the W100 on your Singlecross from what I saw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

sweetswing wrote: »
    The route suggested it a lovely one, but 7.30 is to early for me to.
    now 8.30 or 9 would be fantastic :D

I find early starts suit me better. I can do a decent 3 hours before anyone else in the house is even awake...

Alas I'm not free for this saturday tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Peetrik

Id be very interested in coming along but +1 on 7.30 being a little early... why dont I suggest 12.00 noon and we can meet halfway :)

Think I'll head up stocking by myself early on sat. I cant really write off half a day when I'm so behind in my work for the big quiz. Gonna burst myself for maybe two hours and then head back:)

Lethal_Bullet,

Myself and Littleredspot are also going to be out early on Sat; I have an exam coming up also so I have to get back early to study :(

Though I think you are taking on a little harder route :D

• Advertisement

I actually couldn't move for a good few hours on Sat after the cycle; I'm only back to normal since yesterday:) I'm obviously very unfit but I'll get there!

I went for a spin on Sunday and this evening.

Scien,

Where are going for a cycle tomorrow evening?

Lethal_Bullet,

Myself and Littleredspot are also going to be out early on Sat; I have an exam coming up also so I have to get back early to study :(

Though I think you are taking on a little harder route :D

Give us a route and I might me you on the move.

Early riser eh?

Dont think I'll be out your way, i dont know the northaide at all. I say we get a full spin sorted for the 29th though. Maybe get another two veterans to lead us:)

Doesn't seem to be much of an appetite for the suggested route/time this Saturday, so I'd second the call for a nice spin out on the 29th.

I'll head on that northside route with Wingman this Saturday anyway if anyone wants to join us. Would 8 bells suit you Sweetswing?

• Advertisement
Advertisement