Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog inhaling water

Options
  • 11-05-2010 10:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭

SO I found a dog (Jack Russell 1 year old maybe) about 2 weeks ago. She just turned up at my doorstep and started following me around. I did the usual got her scanned for a chip, put up posters, called the pound.

Anyway, I dont really have any experience with dogs so this could be a stupid question. So every time I bath her she will not under any circumstances stay in the bath unless she has her ball. WHich isnt a problem. The problem is everytime she goes to grab the ball while its in the bath she inadvertenly puts her nose below the water level (no matter how shallow it is) and tries to breathe.

Usually she seems to be ok, and pulls her head out after a second or two. I dont think her other owners ever bathed her because she was fasicnated by the whole water buisness the first time I bath her. Anyway enough waffling. Last night she started getting more confident and started putting her nose under for prolonged periods. After doing this maybe the third time she started choking up but was fine after a few seconds. Never the less I took her out of the bath instantly and now Im wondering what do I do.

I bath her every time we come back from the beach (every second or third night) and now Im dreading the next bath. What do I do. My family say she will learn it herself after choking a few times and its because she has no real "water experience"... But Im not so sure and Im actually afraid for her.

Any help of advice would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Too much bathing is not good for a dogs coat. It strips it of it's natural oils and in time will make the dog smell worse.

Is there anyway you could just let her dry off after the beach and just brush her?

When I bathe a dog in the bath I don't fill the bath. Just stand the dog in the empty bath with no stopper and either use a shower head or fill jugs of water to wash her with.

I love jackers, she sounds like a right little character.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

I wash my Jacker no more than once a month and use the shower head only with him standing in the bath. I use an insecticide shampoo. I wouldnt wash a dog more than this as it can be bad for their fur/skin (dries out etc.).

Muppet Man.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

You def should not be washing a dog that much, its not good for their coat at all.
    As Toulouse said, too much washing is bad for their coat and strips all the natural oils they need from it by washing all the time.

Just let the dog dry naturally after the beach, the salt water is fine and they will dry in no time.

Theres no need to fill a bath when washing a dog, just use a container or jug to wash them, so you wont have that problem then.
    But you really should only be washing the dog once a month or less. The dog will be getting a wash in the sea so thats more than enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Damo123

I probably should have made this a tad more clear. When we go to the beach she refuses to go into the water. SO when I take her home, really all Im doing is putting her in the bath to get all the sand and mud off her. I dont wash her with shampoo or anything. Like Toulouse said (kinda) I just splash her with a few jugs of warm water and thats it really, and since she likes the bath I generally let her splash about with the ball for awhile. Is that still bad..?? Should I cut down on those types of baths..??

Oh and she doesnt smell at all- thank god :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

A good rub down with a towel before you bring her into the house (or car) should be sufficient and then a bath 3 to 4 times a year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

I'd just use the shower to wash her, or if you don't have a shower then would it help if you filled the bath less? Just a few inches, and throw a few jugs of water over her? If the water is not going down to her skin and soaking her, and you're not using shampoo then it's not too bad. The same as a dog sitting out in the rain really.

But still, I'd advise washing a dog once every 6-8 weeks, depending on the breed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Damo123

I dont think it matters anymore. Her owner is after comming by a few hours ago and picked her up.... I cant believe how attached you can get within 2 weeks :(:(:(:(:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Ah thats great, im sure the owner was delighted to be reunited with their doggy and im sure they really appreciated you looking after her really well, she was a lucky dog to have found you to take good care of her.

You do get attached very quickly though, but well done for minding her so well.

Advertisement