Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Walks

Options
  • 11-05-2010 10:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭

Looking for suggestions for some nice walks that I can take the kids on. Will be using a pram on some walks and not on other occasions. Any recommendations appreciated. If its within 30-45 mins of city in the car that would be better.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭baronflyguy

The John F Kennedy Arboretum just outside New Ross.
    http://www.heritageireland.ie/en/south-east/thejohnfkennedyarboretum/

Very good facilities and well kept. Plenty of toilets located around the main perimeter walk.
    Tarred road around the whole park so easy to push buggies around with.
    Takes about 50mins to walk around.
    Half way point you can stop to enjoy the duck pond.
    Plenty of rest stops and you can cut through short cuts if you don't want to do a full walk.

Main park also has a shop and huge playground with loads of picnic benches.

Opposite the main entrance to the park you can go up the mountain (for free) and enjoy the scenary on Slieve Coillte.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

The Cliff Road in Tramore is quite nice, or the nearby Doneraile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Coumshingaun is nice. How old are the children though?

Its definitely not pram friendly, but the children will have a sense of being mountaineers, without actually going very far (I think 2 kilometers from the road, and its uphill a bit).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

Thanks for replies, Kids still in prams so Mountains out for the moment Cant wait to get them up there though

Heard recently about a walk between passage and cheekpoint that was been reopened and had great views over esturary, anyone have more details on this, start location etc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Typhoon.

I think the walk between passage and cheekpoint is along the yellow dotted line as far as i can guess. I read about it on the waterford today there recently but it didnt specify exactly where it was... so its my best geuss. I've been meaning to try it out myself

looks like you'd be better off walking from the cheekpoint side

hope someone else has more info

15hztq9.jpg

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Is the OP looking for walks in the city or county? or both?

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭THall04

The John F Kennedy Arboretum just outside New Ross.
    http://www.heritageireland.ie/en/south-east/thejohnfkennedyarboretum/

Opposite the main entrance to the park you can go up the mountain (for free) and enjoy the scenary on Slieve Coillte.

Slieve Coillte is not like a normal hill/mountain...there's a good road right up to the top, with a car park, foot paths and viewing points....it's been a few years since I was up there ,but I'd say it's still pram friendly

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Curraghmore estate in Portlaw, nice and is mostly buggy friendly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

The river walk down by Ballinakill is quite nice. Easiest way to get to it is probably the gap between Powerscourt and Ballinakill.

• Advertisement

Sully wrote: »
    Is the OP looking for walks in the city or county? or both?

County ones preferred, Thanks for replies to date. Will definetly check some of these out

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

thomasm wrote: »
    County ones preferred, Thanks for replies to date. Will definetly check some of these out

Ill move to the county forum in that case so. :)

Here is some stuff anyway:-

http://www.discovertramore.ie/beachmap.pdf - A nice guide for walking on Tramore beach.

http://www.discovertramore.ie/tramoremap.pdf - This is a holiday map of Tramore and has plenty of walkways marked out.

A bit of driving distance, but some lovely spots:-
    http://www.discovertramore.ie/copper.pdf - Copper Coast Drive but should be plenty of places to go for walk or explore

http://www.discovertramore.ie/secoastal.pdf - South East Coastal Drive but should be plenty of places to go for walk or explore

Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

Colligan Woods outside Dungarvan. It's not buggy friendly but I have seen people there with them. There are a number of walks, long and short and they can be combined to make an even longer walk. The car parking facilities have been done up recently and there is always people around.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Headdy

That's about right. Park at Faithlegg school walk back towards faithleggtake next left and follow the track scenery is great after half mile There is a fair old climb and will definitely get the buggy dirty you can walk to end of teack and join wd to passage rd turn right and right again to walk back by road - which is usually quiet. All told its a 4 mile round trip that way Enjoy
    Typhoon. wrote: »
    I think the walk between passage and cheekpoint is along the yellow dotted line as far as i can guess. I read about it on the waterford today there recently but it didnt specify exactly where it was... so its my best geuss. I've been meaning to try it out myself

looks like you'd be better off walking from the cheekpoint side

hope someone else has more info

15hztq9.jpg

Found this if anyone is intersted. From the dunmorewalks website

Walk 1 The Cliff Walk - Dunmore East to Ballymacaw. 10 kms and 3.5 hours.

An easy to moderate cliff top walk with a short sharp climb at the start and two other short climbs and descents at Portally Cove and Rathmoylan Cove. Magnificent coastal scenery and flora with cavorting fulmar at Red Head and a possible sighting of choughs. Not suitable for children under 12 even when accompanied. Bus from Ballymacaw back to Dunmore.

line.gif
    Walk 2 Woodstown - Bothar na Mná gorm. 10 kms and 3 hours.

An easy to moderate walk along beach, boreen and field. Points of achaeological and historical and wildlife interest en route. Magnificent views of Waterford Harbour. Not recommended for young children Bus to Woodstown and return

line.gif
    Walk 3 Passage East to Cheekpoint. 12 kms and 3.5 hours

The walk begins in the river fishing village of Passage and follows the spectacular Hurt Hill track, high above Waterford Harbour to Cheekpoint. From Cheekpoint a change of scenery though the rhododendron woods of Faithlegg Hill to Faithlegg House Hotel. Not recommended for young children. Bus to Passage and back from Faithlegg House.

line.gif
    Walk 4 Kittiwakes, Coves and Woods. 5 kms and 2 hours.

An easy ramble from the Harbour with its fishing fleet and unique kittiwake colony ( the only harbour colony in Ireland) via the Park and Dunmore Woods. Lots of thatched roof architecture, history and humour. A good walk for all the family.

line.gif
    Walk 5 Tidal Pools Exploration. 2 hours.

An exploration of tidal pools with a local ecologist. Ideal for children of all ages and ageless adults. Recommended early booking as space is very limited.

line.gif
    Walk 6 Saleens and Brownstown Head. 11 kms and 3.5 hours.

An easy to moderate walk with short strenuous patches. A ramble of great interest starting at Saleens Beach facing Tramore Sand Hills with a long beach section. A track leads to the clifftop and is followed to Brownstown Head, a favourite stop of birdwatchers and whalewathchers and the landmark twin beacons. Not suitable for children. Bus to Saleens and back to Dunmore.

line.gif
    Walk 7 Cliff Walk to Portally Cove. 5 kms and 2 hours.

An easy cliff walk along the newly restored coastal path. Children need to be accompanied by an adult. Great coastal scenery, wildlife and colourful flora.

Advertisement