Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drivers don't know their routes

Options
  • 11-05-2010 11:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭

i was on the 8pm bus eireann service dublin-waterford last night and the driver appeared not to know his route, firstly it was an on hire bus but that should make no difference. the driver took on two or three passengers in naas but turned away more people asking to go to leighlinbridge! i do know that the bus route does not go directly into leighlinbridge but only as far as leighlinbridge cross but that is most likely where these tourists wanted to go!

look at it this way the driver left those people stranded by not knowing his route! they will have most likely got a JJ Kavanagh bus to their destination and will no doubt tell family friends etc how a great private operator saved their bacon while the state run sham of a company left they high and dry!

i have asked bofore but people do not seem to have an answer to this one, what standards if any are applied to on hire busses and who is responsible for inspecting and making sure the standards are upheld?

is it a case that any old bus can be used?
    can i apply for a contract saying i will use nice shiney coaches but a week into service switch to clapped out old bingo busses?
    who is responsible for chosing these awful heaps of scrap?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

as long as they've passed thier safety (PSV) tests they can be used I would imagine.

Not knowing the route is pretty bad though, if they are using sub buses and drivers a GPS or a sheet of paper with stops on it may be a good idea

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Foggy_lad,you need to lift the telephone dial 01-8302222,ask specifically for David Lane or Joe Kenny the MANAGERS responsible for Service Provision in the Eastern region.

You have a very important issue in this and one which really merits their attention IF they themselves are serious about preserving the health and wealth of their own Company and it`s Staff.

Just ensure you have your facts to hand and stay calm and collected !

Report back on your findings ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

IF they themselves are serious about preserving the health and wealth of their own Company and it`s Staff.
    they will be looking out for this kind of thing and do something about it otherwise they should just quit handing back all entitlements to pensions etc as they are clearly not fit for the duties placed upon them!

it is not my place or duty to tell these highly paid MANAGERS how to do their jobs!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭dowlingm

foggy_lad wrote: »
    they will be looking out for this kind of thing and do something about it otherwise they should just quit handing back all entitlements to pensions etc as they are clearly not fit for the duties placed upon them!

it is not my place or duty to tell these highly paid MANAGERS how to do their jobs!
    Boards.ie. Now ye're whinin'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

dowlingm wrote: »
    Boards.ie. Now ye're whinin'.
    more whining i know but i have already sent complaints in to bus eireann and have had nothing back from them not a reply not even an aknowledgement, why should i keep complaining when they are not treating the complaints properly?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Slice

I'm not sure about BE but I know that with DB the drivers only receive one week of training to learn every route from the depot they're based in off by heart. Maybe it's the same with Bus Eireann?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 quitepossibly

I was on the Dublin Waterford bus about 2 months ago and the driver forgot to stop in Kilcullen. He was told of his mistake and so had to turn around at junction 3 and then back up the M9 to Kilcullen. 30km added to the journey for no reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

That reminds me of a story i was told yesterday. The guy i was talking to got a DB special service from Punchestown back to Dublin. It should have ran straight down the M/N7 back to the city but the driver didn't know where she was going and made a right turn at Newlands cross and straight up the Belgard road and into Tallaght. A couple of passengers put her right in the end. Not a minute too soon either as everyone on the bus was damp and cold after getting drowned during the gig!

Advertisement