Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Return of the Southside Stink

Options
  • 11-05-2010 11:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭

Remember that foul, sh1tty smell that was coming from somewhere around the seaside in Booterstown/Blackrock about 2 years ago? Well, it's back. What the HELL is it, and can they get rid of it? I have to walk there, and it makes me feel like throwing up.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

rotting seaweed

Good for clearin the tubes out :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭xia

Interesting nickname Op;) Made me check when you registered here...

Suppose it'll be there again as long as it's warm enough I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Vomit

Come on, seaweed does not smell like a toilet. Isn't there a sewage station near salthill/monkstown? Could it be some kind of leak?

Vomit wrote: »
    Come on, seaweed does not smell like a toilet. Isn't there a sewage station near salthill/monkstown? Could it be some kind of leak?

The nearest is Ringsend or Shankill.

The smell come from Decomposing seaweed, seaweed normally doesn't have that strong a smell but anything rotting always smells horrid. Also the area in behind Booterstown station, the swamp will always smell worse in the heat, just a fact of life.

Dun Laoghaire gets the same smell a couple of weeks after seaweed is washed up past the high tide mark along where the baths are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

I think its the Punchbowl's new lunch menu................:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

benwavner wrote: »
    I think its the Punchbowl's new lunch menu................:p

HeHe, Good contender, but it's generally the seaweed that flows into the marsh and the gets stuck and rots that causes the problem

21/25

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Lovely smell of the seashore in Donneybrook last weekend, maybe I should complain because I can't smell the city?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Dyflin wrote: »
    Lovely smell of the seashore in Donneybrook last weekend, maybe I should complain because I can't smell the city?

jaysus, global warming must really have risen the sea level since last night. afraid to look out the door now.....

What part of Donnybrook has a seashore?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

silverharp wrote: »
    jaysus, global warming must really have risen the sea level since last night. afraid to look out the door now.....

What part of Donnybrook has a seashore?

you are familiar with the concept of wind moving smells around, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

you are familiar with the concept of wind moving smells around, right?

I see now said the blind man.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

I could smell it in UCD on wednesday. Its not really unpleasant, its just seaweed

I could smell it in UCD on wednesday. Its not really unpleasant, its just seaweed

in general its grand, though in Booterstown it gets fairly nasty in the heat.
    Was really bad last summer in DL as a storm pushed lots and lots of seaweed higher than normal tides. Just in the outside corner of the pier down near the baths.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Falcon.ie

Ya Booterstown get's it fairly bad alright. You can get the smell as soon as you hop off the Dart there, just something we'll have to put up with I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

It is sewage run off that then turns to algae which stinks.

There is a sewage processing plant or pump house [not sure which] in Monkstown, beside the Dart station - 2 or 3 buildings on the green just in front of the scrap yard.

When it rains, the excess water causes the sewage tanks to overflow, this unprocessed sewage then gets put straight out into the sea. Seemingly, the drain water flows straight into this place as well as the sewage. Fantastic planning there lads.

In warm weather, the sewage causes algae to grow, mainly around the Monkstown/Seapoint area.

reprazant wrote: »

There is a sewage processing plant or pump house [not sure which] in Monkstown, beside the Dart station - 2 or 3 buildings on the green just in front of the scrap yard.

When it rains, the excess water causes the sewage tanks to overflow, this unprocessed sewage then gets put straight out into the sea. Seemingly, the drain water flows straight into this place as well as the sewage. Fantastic planning there lads.

In warm weather, the sewage causes algae to grow, mainly around the Monkstown/Seapoint area.

Yes! I f**king knew it! Seaweed does NOT create a stink as foul as that! I knew I could smell s**t. You sir speak the truth!

reprazant wrote: »

thats mearly a pumping station and I can't see how excess water draining would affect it as its a sealed system. The pipes behind the scrapyard have been selaed off too. If that actually happened health warnings and beach closures would happen.

thats mearly a pumping station and I can't see how excess water draining would affect it as its a sealed system. The pipes behind the scrapyard have been selaed off too. If that actually happened health warnings and beach closures would happen.

Maybe they want to keep it quiet - can't have mass panic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/brown-sludge-in-sea-causes-alarm-1074493.html

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/strong-odour-puts-dublin-bay--wastewater-plant-under-spotlight-1379081.html

While these may be old articles, they relate to the same thing. One also mentions the shankill pumping station as a potential problem.

If they have sealed off the pipes behind the scrapyard, then am lost as to what may be causing it other then it is possibly just the one in Ringsend polluting the whole bay.

One of the reports also mentions that tests carried out revealed that the level of faecal matter in the water exceeded the level required to keep a Blue Flag, though council officials insist they are still entitled to fly the flag. I can only think that the tests are done in winter when the smell/algae is not there.

I would like to add that I have not seen a blue flag yet this year at any affected beach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭mp3kid

I would like to add that I have not seen a blue flag yet this year at any affected beach.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0610/bathing.html

Environment Minister John Gormley will announce which Irish beaches have secured Blue Flags for the summer on Monday.

• Advertisement

mp3kid wrote: »
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0610/bathing.html

Environment Minister John Gormley will announce which Irish beaches have secured Blue Flags for the summer on Monday.

I bet the beaches in question will not get blue flags.

I bet the beaches in question will not get blue flags.

I wouldn't bet against it anyway!

Shankill is being re-built at the moment to a much greater capacity than previous.

The smell is really only noticable around the swamp in Booterstown, it nowhere near as bad elsewhere along the coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭thetalker

Sigh even now its still smells terrible

• Registered Users Posts: 24,076 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Woah, zombie thread alert!

By the way its not sewage, its just the seaweed and the marsh, natural decomposition of organic material. The sewage for this whole part of the city is captured and treated.

Advertisement