Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cutting Clearlight Sheeting

• 11-05-2010 12:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭

Hi there,

I need to cut 4 12' lengths of Clearlight into 6' pieces to sheet a small green house. Has anybody successfully cut or trimmed these sheets without them breaking/cracking? What should I use to cut them?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭mazthespark

some suppliers have like a big guilotine for cutting clear sheets but i have used a small grinder a straight edge and those skinny cutting discs. all went quite well anytime i did it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭tiocimarla

well im not to sure what clearlight is. I think its one of two things, Firstly if its those sheets of polycarb averaging about 8 mm. A tablesaw with a new blade will do grand. If u dont have access to a tablesaw then as suggested above a straight edge and angle grinder with thin blade(carefull those blades snap easily). The other material that springs to mind is that plastic hollow stuff about 16-18mm thick. with two outer edges about a mil thick that run parallel with perpendicular joining pieces that join them spaced about 20mm apart. If this is what your using then a tablesaw or straight edge and skill saw with 2mm brand new or very sharp blade. Cant overstress the need for a sharp blade with this stuff it cracks alot. If neither of these is what your dealing with then ignore this post, ive dealt with alot of polycarb-polythen-fibreglass etc..all sheeting.. just never new the name of some of it. hope this helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭alphanumeric

Thanks mazthespark and tiocimarla.

I got sorted down in the hardware store and now have 8 6' unshattered pieces of Clearlight. They cut it for me in the end.

tiocimarla clearlight is corrugated plastic similar to galvanize. You could know it by a different name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,091 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Jigsaw with metal cutting blade.

Advertisement