Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your Gamestyle?

Options
  • 11-05-2010 12:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭

Tried to post this before but confused myself with the wording...so I'm going to give it another bash especially as the point was raised by Orim recently in the 'Gripes' thread.

At tournaments, everyone is going to play their best and within their comfort zone (i.e. not try new strategies unless they are in dire straits). But it raises the question as to how people play in other settings.

Alex Valle once said that he doesn't care if you beat him online or at casuals, it's at tournaments where it matters. However, many others do not seem to take the same view. Some Onliners place an emphasis on BP and will try to protect this at all costs.

So, if you are at organised offline Casuals, will you try out new tactics, risky combos, new characters, etc. or do you still want the Victory screen at the end of the day? Online (either Ranked or Endless), will you do the same or will you go for the BP? Will you risk your Guile game for the FK <FADC> Sunglasses (as Orim has admitted to - thank you IRC log :D)?

Hope the question makes sense...For me, I go for wins mainly - as stated, I haven't been playing that long so it's nice to build up momentum with a few wins. I'm trying to learn characters, matchups and the SF engine at the same time so don't have the foundation of knowledge to build upon or risk. So for now, it's a learning curve more than anything (heightened by the purchase of a Fightstick so there is that skill transfer......hahaha, my "skills" needing time to transfer).

Although if matched up against the same player a couple of times over in Ranked I might try certain things - I know they will SRK in a given circumstance so I will draw this and work on my execution for Super / Ultra.

So while I go for wins, I want to learn at the same time.....(once again I have somewhat confused myself with question, answer and wall of text, but I'm going to click "submit" anyways)

🤪

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,005 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Casuals and online I couldn't care less. Try new stuff. Use just one level of normals for the whole match to test their properties, stuff like that.

Tournament matches are all that really count.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Casuals and online I couldn't care less. Try new stuff. Use just one level of normals for the whole match to test their properties, stuff like that.

Tournament matches are all that really count.

Will that change when the tournament mode is brought online?

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭meducation

RUSH....
    i rush like a mental case..
    offline i only played against you folks once but i didn't rush in as much and found my play to be more balanced when it had to be.. probably nerves:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,005 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    Will that change when the tournament mode is brought online?

No, because it's still online. Stupid **** works online that would never work offline, ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

I try to keep my online game fairly serious and stick to what works, but I'm very new to the competitive scene so I'm trying to work my way out of bad habits from years of tooling the computer then putting the game on the shelf 'til the next one.

Still sometimes find myself making the classic error of throwing a random normal just to keep things flowing and eating an ultra. :pac:

Last couple matches I had online those wakeup FKs were creeping back in as well, BAD!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭unky chop chop

meducation wrote: »
    RUSH....
    i rush like a mental case..
    offline i only played against you folks once but i didn't rush in as much and found my play to be more balanced when it had to be.. probably nerves:D

I'm the same..Online matches i just keep the rush down pressure on and keep advancing/trying to keep the other player on the backfoot.I never take them too seriously
    I've only been to one tournament but noticed that in such an environment with more pressure I play more the thinking mans game and slow down my play style,not as much as i'd like to though.
    And there lies the problem, I'm so used to playing online and throwing caution to the wind that when i need to actually win a match i can't break my bad habits

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I usually try and keep it relatively serious no matter where I am playing.

A comment a friend once said to me lead me to do this. He dc'ed on me when I picked Dan on him, his point being that he didn't mind me winning but it's never nice for someone who's in control of the match to make you feel like he's also taking the piss out of you. He said he was playing me to learn and thats fair enough.

So I consider it a matter of principle to do my best to kick you round the place (unless it's someone I know kinda well and is joking round with me too). I think everyone should.

That said, I will try new stuff out in casuals/ online before I bring it into my tournament play. The most recent example of this is my j hk cr lp cr lp cr mp xx fk combo which is currently serving me well.

However, no matter how I try, I do play different in tournaments. I turtle much harder. I guess this is because the only time I actually give a damn in general about losing is in a real life tournament (online, no matter how good they make it, will always be a pale reflection of off. I must admit I enjoyed my -very- slow ascent into the top seeds).

I also used to make alot of silly mistakes in tournaments of sweeping and wake up ultra-ing with Guile waaay too much. I guess it was nerves. Don't do either so much now.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Ken B

I could be beaten 100 times in a row and wouldn't care.....as long as I'm not Vega. I take a beating on him fairly personally, of course, if I'm beaten in a good and fair fight, I'm happy enough with that.......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

I generally play pretty seriously most of the time - if I'm fighting someone online that I'm not having much trouble keeping under control I generally just start experimenting with different attack patterns - stuff that I wouldn't do unless I'm desperate and being completed out-fought in a proper match.
    When I'm playing casuals I generally dont take too much interest in getting 20 wins in a row. I still like to win, and will damn well try to do so (I'm frimly of the belief that anyone who claims they dont want to win in a fighting game is lying). However, as with the low level players online, I'm not completely against losing if I learned something from the experience so I will try new things that will probably get me killed.
    In tournaments I try to bring everything I have and will generally not try anything new unless all my standard tricks are being countered.

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Great thread Sabre...

I pick Honda at tournies to win, plain and simple. I play my heart out, I don't take risks and I try to get in and make the damage count.

I play as a load of different characters at casuals/online (in vanilla, I had almost entirely moved to Seth when playing online, unless playing against a fellow boardsie).

I see where DooM is coming from, and I like to think that my Seth/Cody are decent enough that they still provide a challenge to people, but unless it's tourney, I amn't really that bothered. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

When I play casuals at XGC I'd say I'm playing my proper game most of the time. With people who know the game well I'll spend time in between matches and even in game sometimes talking about move properties, if/if not something works, or try out new stuff. IMO that's what casuals are about, playing in a casual environment and discussing certain aspects or things you want to clear up or try out.

Dunno if I'd be on Valle wavelength, if I lose in causals I lose, it's time for me to up my game or see what I can do to improve. To be honest. and it was said before, I know casuals are kind of laid back and all but it seems people aren't using them for the purpose intended. But on the other hand a lot of people do. Just my two cents

As for my gamestyle, well I don't know, in SFIV, I'm still not sure. I think my gamesyle is just going to be pick Fuerte and do ****. Because people either don't know what to do against him or wont learn, so yeah, abusive playstyle ftw

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

Ramza wrote: »
    pick Fuerte and do ****.

This.

I. Hate. Fuerte.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Generic_name01

Ken B wrote: »
    I could be beaten 100 times in a row and wouldn't care.....as long as I'm not Vega. I take a beating on him fairly personally, of course, if I'm beaten in a good and fair fight, I'm happy enough with that.......

I totally relate to that. Whenever I play with a character I'm happy with and lose I get a bit miffed. Think its an internet thing because in the heat of the moment I can find it hard to accept the loss but if I lose offline I usually laugh or am wowed by the other player's skill.. Other then that though online losses dont get to me unless shenanigans are involved.
    Sabre0001 wrote: »
    So, if you are at organised offline Casuals, will you try out new tactics, risky combos, new characters, etc. or do you still want the Victory screen at the end of the day?

For me I play casuals to learn and try out new tricks! Eg I'm having trouble deciding who to main between T.Hawk and Hakan. Happy with how I'm doing with my T.Hawk but I enjoy Hakan so much that I refuse to jsut be an ok Hakan. So at the saturday casuals I pretty much just used Hakan for the 3 or 4 hours straight. That way its my Hakan versus a really good ryu, blanka, honda player etc. My goal at that casual was never "I MUST WIN" but to learn what beats what, what should I look out for when oiling that I would never learn online. While at that casual, I learned to never EX oil cody with a knife and to never EX oil against futureguy's ryu when low on health. :D I think the fun dan vs dan matches are great too but at the mo I'm using casuals purely to learn.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭joconnell

I'm far too nice for my own good so I pick random characters and mess around online - most of the time solid basics get me through against most of the folks I'm fighting and any main characters only get pulled out for people who I know are decent or someone who acts the prick and deserves a squashing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Voa

Well, I tend to stick to the one or two characters and play it out. In BB, I stick to my Tager, but if I'm messing with someone, or want to go a little easier on them I'll shenanigans a lot. Otherwise, I won't pull any punches.
    In SSF4, I tend to stick to an attempt at rushdown Dudley...doesn't always work out well. My Cody is coming along well, but I still need to grip the basics in SF. Since I'm significantly worse than most people who show up to casuals, I'm always trying my best, irregardless of online or off.
    Even if I get annihilated, I'd rather get annihilated by someone not pulling their punches either.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭DarkTalant

Meh, I don't really make much of an effort either way. If I'm playing someone who's worse than me in casuals I do tend to mess around a bit more and just play on auto-pilot, but it's not a concious effort. Wheras in a tournament game I always try and focus on the match at hand. That said if I'm playing someone in a "for realz" set of casuals I tend to not only try to concentrate, but also to try things I don't use often and see if they work in certain situations.

Advertisement