Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Over toilet trained my dog...

Options
  • 11-05-2010 12:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi, I was hoping I might beable to get some pearls of wisdom about my dog and his toilet issues.. I got him from the pound a year ago, he is a little jrt cross I'd guess nearly 3 years old ..Cutest thing ever .. kinda looks like a mini Shepard... Any way when we first got him he wasn't toilet trained at all, so after a bit of training and patience he stop going in the apartment... and would head out side. Now I should explain that we live in a top floor apartment and have a big roof terrace that is totally safe for him ... the walls around it are over 5 foot.. and there is no way he can get up on them..
    But I have now noticed over the last say 4 months he has stopped going to the toilet outside n the balcony ... He gets walked twice a day, in the mornings for a half and hour and again in the evenings for 1 hour and a 1/2.
    But he is holding his pee in between that.. I've tried everything to get him to go outside.. I've put loads of plants out at his level ... even stuck down roll's of grass and sat out with him for what seems like hours.. yet nothing will tempt him to go.
    I'm worried about him holding in his pee for up that long.. Any tips any one can share to get him to go.. I think he now believes the balcony is part of the house and he isn't allowed to use it...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭00112984

You can get a small bottle of stuff from the pet shop that's used for toilet-training puppies. It contains ammonia so mimics the smell of animal pee and if you put a few drops around it'll encourage the dog to pee in that area.

I would've thought that maybe 8 hours is the maximum a dog could hold it for so I hope your little guy isn't in any discomfort holding it for longer.

Is there any way you could bring him out an extra time a day? Not even for a walk, even just down to the street where he can sniff around and go?

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭CreedonsDogDayc

sounds to me he thinks of the balcony as his home alright, is the dog kept out on the balcony during the day? if so, perhaps keep the dog inside and only bring out to the balcony for toilet trips.

Also, introduce a command for doing their business. Reward them everytime they go to the toilet, both in the street and on the balcony, and give them a command with it. Once they have learned the command you can try use in on the balcony.

Advertisement