Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to get Myzone/tcd email working?

• 11-05-2010 12:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 577 ✭✭✭

Wondering how to set up a myzone/tcd email address on the iPhone, has anyone managed to do it? I've tried subbing "gmail" with "tcd" for the outgoing POP, and the same with the out going smtp, but no dice.
    Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭phill106

Len_007 wrote: »
    Wondering how to set up a myzone/tcd email address on the iPhone, has anyone managed to do it? I've tried subbing "gmail" with "tcd" for the outgoing POP, and the same with the out going smtp, but no dice.
    Any ideas?

Try disabling ssl in iphone mail settings. Other then that, make sure all the settings are the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 ronan1001

not sure if smtp will work (as you're using myzone I guess you're a student rather than staff) but I use the following IMAP settings:

Host name: imap.gmail.com
    user name: myname@tcd.ie

I have SSL on, and server port is 993. Can receive email but not send it. I think ISServices have disabled it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Gileadi

I can send and recieve so ISS have not disabled anything.

Have you checked your SMTP is set as smtp.gmail.com, then look in advanced > see that SSL is on, authication is set to password, IMAP path prefix is empty and finally server port is set to 993

Gileadi wrote: »
    I can send and recieve so ISS have not disabled anything.

Have you checked your SMTP is set as smtp.gmail.com, then look in advanced > see that SSL is on, authication is set to password, IMAP path prefix is empty and finally server port is set to 993

Nice one, I thought I read it somewhere that they had disabled it. Have configured to send now.

OP, make sure you have your full email address as your username too, that's why mine wasn't working.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Len_007

Big help guys, thanks so much :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Mel fan

Hi guys, just saw this thread.

My outgoing mail is still not working - the message comes up:

"cannot send mail
    The sender address is invalid"

These are my settings -

Name: TCD mail
    Address: myname@tcd.ie
    Description: myname@tcd.ie

INCOMING MAIL SERVER
    Host name imap.gmail.com
    User name: myname@tcd.ie
    Password: my password here

OUTGOING MAIL SERVER
    SMPT: smpt.gmail.com

Under ADVANCED:
    Use SSL is on
    Authentication is set as password
    IMAP Path Prefix is left blank
    Server port 993

I can't figure where I am going wrong!
    Any help apreciated. Would love to be able to send mail on the go.

thanks,
    Mel fan

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭target

Mel fan wrote: »
    OUTGOING MAIL SERVER
    SMPT: smpt.gmail.com

smpt ?

Try smtp ;)

Yes! that's what I meant.
    Any thoughts?

Under SMTP, have you the server port set to 587? That's separate to the advanced section.

Yes, it is set as 587.
    I wonder if something is configured incorrectly on the my own myzone site?

Thanks for the replies.

• Advertisement

Apple have an (admittedly old - it talks about OS version 2.0) thread on this:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1597227&tstart=255

Some solved it by deleting the accounts and re-entering all the details.

Hi ronan, thanks, I will give that a try. Obviously I am not the only one with this issue.

MF

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

use the smtp of the service you are using.

For instance I'm with meteor ; so I use their smtp service.

If I'm using the eircom wifi ; I use the eircom smtp mail1.eircom.net

Hope that helps

Aghghh!
    I deleted my account and re-entered all the details and now am getting this message:

Cannot get mail.
    the connection to the server "imap.gmail.com" failed

so... now I can neither send nor receive.

i have checked and doubled checked all the details. i don't understand this.

SwingKing, the server is gmail (myzone tcd mail), so I was using the smtp.gmail.com SMTP.

I am thinking of just forwarding all mail to my gmail and accessing it like that. But then all my mail will appear to have come from gmail?

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭sjms

any joy with getting this sorted?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 matchball

I know this thread has been inactive for a while. But I came accross it when trying to set up a tcd student email account on an iPhone.
    It took me ages to finally figure it out but I got there in the end!

All the setting that were mentioned earlier are correct however you will need to log into your tcd email account and click on settings on the top right of the page, then click Forwarding and POP/IMAP, scroll down and click enable IMAP and save changes.
    Once you have done all that go into the phone settings and add an email account as normal. Fill in all the details required -

Incoming Mail Server -
    Host Name - imap.gmail.com
    User Name - TCD email address
    Password - Password

That got me there eventually!

As for the outgoing mail server this depends on which mobile network you are with. For example if you are with o2 and are out and about and are in the 3g or E range the name will be smtp.o2.ie
    However, if you're connect via wireless internet the outgoing mail server will be whatever the broadband provider is eg - Eircom will be mail1.eircom.net UPC will be smtp.upcmail.ie

I generally leave it at smtp.o2.ie and wait untill I am in 3g coverage to send email.

Hope this helps some other poor boyfriend out there getting stuck with setting up their girlfriends new iPhone email.

Cheers.

sjms wrote: »
    any joy with getting this sorted?

Hi sorry for not replying to this.
    I did not get it sorted. I followed all the info but it didn't work.

There was a new reply in the last few weeks and I followed that too, but no joy.

Melfan

• Registered Users Posts: 23 JoePdw

matchball wrote: »
    Hope this helps some other poor boyfriend out there getting stuck with setting up their girlfriends new iPhone email.
    Cheers.

lol Why would I do that?

Anyway

when I set up email on my ipod touch I just type in email and password it all works on itself. On my mac mail.app since i am on upc i had to use smtp.upcmail.ie outgoing mail server.
    and i think you gotta use full email username@tcd.ie in the username field. Outgoing mail service i placed imap.gmail.com seems to be working.

When you first buy your mac and you first open mac.app it shows you gmail picture like on ipod touch and it signs you up correctly on itself on mac. But this is only shown once on mac mail.app for some reason when you first open it (first time EVER such as when you buy a new mac or install operating system anew!).
    Ah well, works anyway.
    And yes you need to enable pop in the web browser in settings in your myzone.tcd.ie mail account before using it on mail.app or any other program to do with mail that is not a web browser.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Best thing to do is download the gmail app and put in your login and password as normal, it does the settings itself.

Just an FYI, the username is the FULL username, so it's blah@tcd.ie, rather than just 'blah' if you know what I mean?

Downloading the gmail app also gets around the annoying glitch for some people where the stock app won't push gmail.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭spotsanddots

anyone know how to set this up for the samsung galaxy S2?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭nala_rinaldo

www.
    youtube
    .com/watch?v=UOQ4v3mbwiE

Advertisement