Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

National Half marathon,St. Abbans, Crettyyard, Monavea, Carlow on 5th Sep 2010

• 11-05-2010 12:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭

Anyone heard anything on the location for this yet?

Rate this race based on, Scenery, PB potential, Athmosphere, Value, Organisation 6 votes

5 stars (excellent)
    0%
    4 stars (good)
    33%
    Daithi BCtunguska 2 votes
    3 stars (average)
    33%
    asimonovEmployer 2 votes
    2 stars (poor)
    33%
    groovygemerald007 2 votes
    1 star (terrible)
    0%

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

No apart from the date (5th of September) it's still down as TBC. I hope they move it back to a Saturday instead of the Sunday. Don't know other peoples opinions but I prefer racing on Saturdays so I can have a bit of a social life over the weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Hard Worker

shels4ever wrote: »

I asked AAI about a month ago and was told they havn't decided yet. I believe they have a couple of venues in mind but are probably checking things out to ensure that everything is suitable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

No apart from the date (5th of September) it's still down as TBC. I hope they move it back to a Saturday instead of the Sunday. Don't know other peoples opinions but I prefer racing on Saturdays so I can have a bit of a social life over the weekend.

That would be perfect too, hoping its not going to need a weekend away. A nice flat midlands county would do nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,549 ✭✭✭Peckham

This event hasn't exactly a great track record in terms of general accessibility from around the country! IIRC the two previous locations have been Letterkenny and Waterford. Sure why don't they just stick it in Raheny! ;)

Peckham wrote: »
    This event hasn't exactly a great track record in terms of general accessibility from around the country! IIRC the two previous locations have been Letterkenny and Waterford. Sure why don't they just stick it in Raheny! ;)

13.1 laps of the Road relay course then :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Since the national ultra running championship will be held in Dingle that weekend, why not do the half there as well?

Accessible? Well, ..., no worse than Letterkenny.
    Flat? Well, ..., er, ..., no!

Since the national ultra running championship will be held in Dingle that weekend, why not do the half there as well?

55 euro entry fee is a good enough excuse for me not to do it :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Peckham wrote: »

We ( waterford ) had the biggest field ever ( i think ) when it was on down here in sept 08...over 700.
    Its the same course as the Waterford AC half thats held annually in Dec.
    It should be on down here again,but i am biased ( and looking for a good half marathon in Sept thats 5 mins away from the house :D )

Sosa wrote: »
    It should be on down here again,but i am biased ( and looking for a good half marathon in Sept thats 5 mins away from the house :D )

I'd be happy with that, heard it was a great success last time it was run there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

That would be perfect too, hoping its not going to need a weekend away. A nice flat midlands county would do nice.

Stradbally, Co. Laois on the Saturday, could make a good weekend of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

4 stars (good)
    Id say its only a matter of time before The addidas half marathon is made the national half.

tunguska wrote: »
    Id say its only a matter of time before The addidas half marathon is made the national half.
    I'm not so sure that would happen, already the 10k in dublin(bupa), the national marathon , so the half would be a bit much on top of that. With the amount of marathons in Ireland not maybe the nataion marathon will go on the road again too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭CorkRunning

There is no reason why it should be. The Dublin Marathon is by far the largest Marathon in the country and it makes sense to have it as the national Marathon.

There is nothing special about the addidas half other than the fact it is in Dublin.

Just to echo an earlier comment, Waterford AC did a great job of hosting it back in 2008.

I'd be happy with that, heard it was a great success last time it was run there.

It was a great success,but not sure if the club would look to host it again as we now have an annual half in Dec (same route),after the success of the national half down here they saw that it would be a good idea.
    Nothing else on that time of the year and it is run really well ( as are all/most races run by athletics clubs )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

Sosa wrote: »
    We ( waterford ) had the biggest field ever ( i think ) when it was on down here in sept 08...over 700.
    Its the same course as the Waterford AC half thats held annually in Dec.

Over 700 and take out the blas that went to croke park for the All Ireland Final. Mind you alot of the waterofrd lads ran the half marathon that day running away from the cats.
    Did anyone realise its all ireland final day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,858 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Would of thought the adidas half marathon would be the biggest half marathon?

Why not use longford for the half?? Did it last year and was a good race

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭wgtomblin

IIRC the national half was already combined with Adidas (Phoenix Park) Half-marathon around 6 years ago, so there's always a possibility of it happening again I would think, but would be surprised if it became an annual fixture in the capital.

Agreed with other posters, Waterford did a great job on the National-Half in 2008.

I emailed the AAI this morning to see if a location has been selected yet. The date has been confirmed for the 5th and they hope to agree on a venue in the next week.

The location for the half marathon is St. Abbans, Crettyyard, Monavea, Carlow on 5th Sept. 2010

The location for the half marathon is St. Abbans, Crettyyard, Monavea, Carlow on 5th Sept. 2010

Interesting

Any info about the course ?

• Advertisement

No idea of this area will just have to find a boardsie thats a member of the local club now. At least it doesnt mean a 4 hour drive to race and I can still have a party that night after the race ;).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

checked on google maps , 2.5 hr + journey for me , all on good roads though , will have to see if i will do it or on , whats the opinion here on the expected turnout because of location ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,549 ✭✭✭Peckham

NI can still haev a party that night after the race ;).

That sounds like an invite to me! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Daithi BC

4 stars (good)
    Most routes around there would have to be described as "undulating".

A regular training partner of mine runs with abbans so I'll tap him for some info this week. Location suits me down to the ground. Should get a decent turn out from local runners as well as previous events down there normally do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭devotional1993

Last national half marathon in Carlow was SHORT -v short infact and was measured in a car-hopefully this will be right.

Last national half marathon in Carlow was SHORT -v short infact and was measured in a car-hopefully this will be right.

what year did this happen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 442 ✭✭trihead

its actually in co laois - here - well the start and finish anyway;)

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Nialloooo

is this open to all?? ran the waterford half last year`great course

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭bewleys berry

have run plenty of road races organised by St Abbans (usually the last stage of the four county league but they used to host the leinster senior road race in the autumn each year too) and although the routes around there can be described as undulating, as another poster said, there is plenty of good running around there.....i'm not sure where the course would be, although i suppose they could always do a two lap course of the 10k if they wanted........u never know....... anyway the races always finish on the cinder athletics track back at the complex......

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 477 ✭✭brutes1

http://www.athleticsireland.ie/content/wp-content/uploads/2006/05/national-half-marathon-2009-21.pdf

Last years results,

Good central location, should be a strong turnout , but Galway and Longford marathons /halfs on the week before could hit the field somewhat...

Most of the national half mara courses seem to be fairly up and down runs..

Would like to get more info on the course if anyone knows it yet.
    Torn between this and the clonmel half on the 15th Aug ...
    preference would be the national half,but work consraints may mean doing the clonmel one.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭liamo123

Folks do u have 2 b a member of a running club 2 compete... am running berlin marathon on sept 26th and this would b ideal for me

4 stars (good)
    AFAIK you have to be a member of an AAI club (of which Boards AC is of course one....)

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭liamo123

tks alot.. must join local club

• Advertisement

liamo123 wrote: »

I would guess that you can still run if your not a member of a club but if you win you wouldnt get a national title ;) , Lots of Individualrunners in lastyears results.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Nialloooo

or join boards ac ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭Stupid_Private

Folks do u have 2 b a member of a running club 2 compete... am running berlin marathon on sept 26th and this would b ideal for me

To run in this race you do not need to be a member of a club.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭runnerboy

Drove around the course last night forget about pbs. This is one serious course with loads and loads of hills. You leave the track and for 1 mile approx its flat or downhill then it climbs for 2 1/2 miles . it levels off again and then its all fast downhill on crap roads with plenty of potholes for 3 miles. Coming into the village of Bilboa there is on serious climb for next mile. Slight drags with periods of flat for next couple of miles and then last 3 miles down hill fast going all the way to the finish. Overall hilly course with plenty of downhill very little flat. Roads are in poor condition in general, lonely race in countryside. biggest fear is meeting a tractor on these roads cos you wont get past. I will run but don't expect any pbs on this very testing course

runnerboy wrote: »
    Drove around the course last night forget about pbs. This is one serious course with loads and loads of hills. You leave the track and for 1 mile approx its flat or downhill then it climbs for 2 1/2 miles . it levels off again and then its all fast downhill on crap roads with plenty of potholes for 3 miles. Coming into the village of Bilboa there is on serious climb for next mile. Slight drags with periods of flat for next couple of miles and then last 3 miles down hill fast going all the way to the finish. Overall hilly course with plenty of downhill very little flat. Roads are in poor condition in general, lonely race in countryside. biggest fear is meeting a tractor on these roads cos you wont get past. I will run but don't expect any pbs on this very testing course

Cheers for that, sounds hard enough :(

• Advertisement

Really ?
    That dissapoints me,not that its hilly ( although thats not ideal )
    I dislike country runs and if the roads are badly potholed and the gradient is probably poor at either side which i dont like either.

Are you sure its the course for the national half ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

cheers runnerboy for that.
    Well that disappoints me too. I love the country roads but deciding to hold a National championship race on crap roads is mistifying to me
    It appears little thought has gone into route selection.
    Could this amateurism transpire into race day organisation also?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 467 ✭✭Mick Rice

Have run a number of National 'Halfs' and the standard of organisation tends to vary enormously - with the majority being quite poorly staged.

It's not too long ago that a national half marathon was run on an uncertified course that was found on the day to be well short. As a runner you'd like to think that one of the main considerations in organising a race like this would be "Is there a decent course that will attract runners to the event?", but I don't believe that the case, or at least I've seen no evidence of such thinking in the past. In fairness I don't blame the club that hosts the race as there's very little or nothing in it for them. They get to put in huge amounts of organisational effort and don't even take a portion of the entry fees on the day. It can be an expensive exercise for a club to host one of these races and perhaps that leads to 'amaturism' in that the local clubs are trying to keep costs to a managable amount.

As usual, a certain number of runners, mostly the usual suspects, will take part in this, including myself if I can at all, but anyone looking for a fast route in an accessible location with more up to date facilities and support, will go to a professionally organised event and that's a tremendous pity.

I wont be doing this now,i had it pencilled in as a target race but not going to chance it after reading the previous posts.

I may do the Cork half the following week instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭wgtomblin

Mick Rice wrote: »
    Have run a number of National 'Halfs' and the standard of organisation tends to vary enormously - with the majority being quite poorly staged.

It's not too long ago that a national half marathon was run on an uncertified course that was found on the day to be well short. As a runner you'd like to think that one of the main considerations in organising a race like this would be "Is there a decent course that will attract runners to the event?", but I don't believe that the case, or at least I've seen no evidence of such thinking in the past. In fairness I don't blame the club that hosts the race as there's very little or nothing in it for them. They get to put in huge amounts of organisational effort and don't even take a portion of the entry fees on the day. It can be an expensive exercise for a club to host one of these races and perhaps that leads to 'amaturism' in that the local clubs are trying to keep costs to a managable amount.

As usual, a certain number of runners, mostly the usual suspects, will take part in this, including myself if I can at all, but anyone looking for a fast route in an accessible location with more up to date facilities and support, will go to a professionally organised event and that's a tremendous pity.

Based on my experience, I would have to largely echo the above. Don't expect much in the goodie bag!
    That said, I thought that Waterford did a good organisation job in 2008.
    A plus point would be that it is probably the most competitive half-marathon in the country, and that can often bring the best performances out of people. A finishing time of 1h15 might just be good enough for top 40 or 50 placing (Men), for example, and you are not likely to be running alone for much during the race if targeting sub-90 min finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭runnerboy

hope i haven't frightened to much people not to compete in this event. st abbans always organise a good event . have changing facilities and always good for food afterwards. i was only stating the state of the roads and the gradient for the race. they previously held the national half on a 2 lap course which produced top class times on a good course. i understand they are afraid of traffic problems on this course and that is the reason why at the moment they are looking at this much harder but safer course.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭eon1208

Course has been changed to incorporate 2 times St Abbans old 10k road race route plus whatever way they add the extra.. I have heard this second hand from what I would say is a very reliable source... The 10k loop starts fast and down and finishes up and tough.. So two laps, good spectator course....This is not official but the information came reliable....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭groovyg

2 stars (poor)
    just wondering how do you enter this race ? If you are a member of a club does the club enter you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 STAAC

St Abban's AC in Monavea, Co. Laois are hosts of the 2010 National Half Marathon which takes place on Sunday 5th September.

On Monday 19th July, after consultation with all relevant parties, the race route was confirmed. Please click here for a map of the course.

If you require further information please do not hesitate to contact us at the club on stabbansac@gmail.com or visit our website on: http://stabbans.itcarlow.ie

Kind Regards
    PRO - St Abban's AC

4 stars (good)
    Thanks for the map. Does the course go clockwise or anti-clockwise?

• Advertisement
Advertisement