Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Capello Index

• 11-05-2010 1:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭

Interesting concept, could cause a lot of trouble with the England team though

http://www.capelloindex.com
    The Capello Index was created in order to benefit all those football lovers that rarely have the opportunity to use an in-depth, objective and understandable analysis system.

Football is an unpredictable sport, and for this reason it excites the fans to the point they start imagining themselves as the best player, or manager in the world.

Everyday there are discussions about which player was the best one or who was decisive in achieving the victory or the cause of a defeat.

How many actually have the right technological instruments or abilities in order to correctly judge a performance? Who can evaluate, with the same detail, 22 players on the pitch at the same time?

The Capello Index, thanks to invaluable contribution of Fabio Capello, has benefited from the extreme knowledge and experience of such a successful manager. Thanks to the coordination of a team of professors of the “Bocconi School of Management”, a statistical analysis system has been developed in order to offer a universal and completely objective result.

The Capello Index is therefore the first real official football player rating system capable of coherently evaluating the player performance in different leagues and countries. It is also useful in order to know the details and shades relevant to the performances through the expert eyes of Fabio and the use of technology and innovative systems of calculation.

Stevie G is currently the top midfielder in the PL, not sure how accurate it is...

http://www.capelloindex.com/site/rankings-hp.aspx

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Epic fail Stevie G top player in the PL.... and Dani Alves better than Messi.

Christ on a bike.

christ_on_a_bike.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Stevie G is currently the top midfielder in the PL, not sure how accurate it is...

The first part answers the second.

Stats, indices, biased opinion pieces. They are all the tools of the desperate.

Much better to watch a match and evaluate a players contribution yourself.

One example I always use is from the 2008/09 season. In one particular CL match Paul Scholes had an absolute stinker of a game, mis-hit passes all over the shop, losing posession in his own half, getting caught out of position, allowing the opposition to by pass him, he just had a bad game, and not just by his own high standards, but generally too.

I came into the thread and mentioned this, only for some bright spark to point out the opta stats saying that Scholes had, in fact, the best pass-completion rate of the night, and that my opinion was invalid, when it was clear as day, to all right thinking football watchers, that Scholes had indeed had a stinker.

People who use stats and other such tools to back up arguments are idiots who can't form an opinion of their own.

Yes, they have some, limited, value, but nothing beats watching a game and forming an opinion based on what you actually see yourself.

The very fact that Steven Gerrard is the top midfielder in the PL on this new list is laughable. The world and it's mother can see that he had a below par season and should not be at the top of any list of midfielders performing in the PL, even the most blinkered of Liverpool fans must surely admit that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,681 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

capello index player rating website postponed until after the WC

on ssn atm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,014 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

If they only started using it over the last two weeks then it could very well turn out like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Interesting concept, could cause a lot of trouble with the England team though

http://www.capelloindex.com

http://www.capelloindex.com/site/rankings-hp.aspx

Ehhhh.....what :eek::confused:

Wheres my facepalm picture??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Des wrote: »

One example I always use is from the 2008/09 season. In one particular CL match Paul Scholes had an absolute stinker of a game, mis-hit passes all over the shop, losing posession in his own half, getting caught out of position, allowing the opposition to by pass him, he just had a bad game, and not just by his own high standards, but generally too.

I came into the thread and mentioned this, only for some bright spark to point out the opta stats saying that Scholes had, in fact, the best pass-completion rate of the night, and that my opinion was invalid, when it was clear as day, to all right thinking football watchers, that Scholes had indeed had a stinker.

People who use stats and other such tools to back up arguments are idiots who can't form an opinion of their own.

Yes, they have some, limited, value, but nothing beats watching a game and forming an opinion based on what you actually see yourself.

The very fact that Steven Gerrard is the top midfielder in the PL on this new list is laughable. The world and it's mother can see that he had a below par season and should not be at the top of any list of midfielders performing in the PL, even the most blinkered of Liverpool fans must surely admit that.

hammare.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

looks like its been canned, stupid idea for so many reasons if you ask me

from sportinglife
    The controversial 'Capello Index' project has been shelved until after the World Cup.

England coach Fabio Capello created a storm of controversy by putting his name to the project just 24 hours before he was due to name his provisional 30-man squad for this summer's World Cup.

And, after a meeting between Capello and senior FA staff, the launch will be suspended until after England's bid for glory in South Africa is over.

"Fabio Capello's involvement has been purely as a technical expert to establish statistical criteria for the Index," a spokesmen for Capello outlined.

"He has not been directly involved in the online gaming element of the site.

"However, he wants to ensure that all appropriate protocols are in place before the project proceeds and has therefore decided today to postpone it."

At this stage it is not clear whether the project will go ahead as planned for the start of the new Premier League season in August.

However, at least by taking such decisive action, Capello has removed the potential for annoyance at ratings for his players appearing within two hours of a World Cup game.

Getting himself involved in the project at such a sensitive time does raise a question mark about Capello's judgement, especially as the financial benefit would come to a man who already pockets £6million-a-year as England coach.

The FA hierarchy were totally dumbfounded when they discovered Capello's involvement, and although the Italian did not immediately see a problem, it has quickly been pointed out to him.

The 'Capello Index' was depicted as the 63-year-old's individual analysis of matches being made public, when in actual fact that was not the case.

However, the perception was clear for everyone to see and the FA are desperate to avoid any allegation of disharmony in the England camp for what they view as totally unnecessary reasons.

Players are notoriously sensitive to their performances being marked and the fact their coach was putting his name to such assessments could only turn inflammatory at some stage.

In the 'Capello Index' player performances would be marked out of 100 - based on an analysis provided by the England chief.

Points are awarded depending on the area of the pitch players competed in and the importance of the match.

A four-week trial of the index, limited to players from Chelsea, Manchester United, Arsenal, Tottenham, Manchester City and Liverpool - rated Ledley King as the best English defender.

And Joe Cole was ranked as the third best midfielder, even though his place in the squad Capello names is far from certain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

Osu wrote: »
    Epic fail Stevie G top player in the PL.... and Dani Alves better than Messi.

Christ on a bike.

christ_on_a_bike.jpg

Not really, read this part of the site http://www.capelloindex.com/site/news-detail.aspx?id=72ef9154-6e58-4576-8bed-ded78158d84e

The stats are based on the last four games of the season only. Which means that Steven Gerrard was the top player in the PL for the last four games, that's all.

Why publish a list based on such a small sample size, this makes even less sense now, and lowers the credibility of it.

It will always be "the list that Steven Gerrard top of the Midfield list in May 2010", which is a travesty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

hmmm yes clearly :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

A four-week trial of the index, limited to players from Chelsea, Manchester United, Arsenal, Tottenham, Manchester City and Liverpool - rated Ledley King as the best English defender.

And Joe Cole was ranked as the third best midfielder, even though his place in the squad Capello names is far from certain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

+1

What terrifies me about it all though is that as more and more football becomes available to watch on TV, the whole Andy Gray mentality is rapidly creeping into the everyday fans mentality.

Anyone who watches football, at any level on a regular basis can pick up an eye for a player, anyone who watches a football match in the flesh on a regular basis however can develop this a lot further.
    When sitting at home watching TV you only get to see what the director tells the cameraman to let you see, at the game you can watch whatever player you want, whenever you want. Your field of vision is generally wider than what the camera gives you even if you are focused on the ball at all times.
    From this you can pick up players runs, players attitudes, how a player
    reacts to other players etc etc etc.

For any manager or scout, seeing a player in the flesh is a whole lot more advantageous than a bunch of percentages on a piece of paper.

The players around a single player also have an affect on their performance. For example we may have a midfielder who is great at making late runs into the box, but what if the winger isnt picking up on these runs and getting the crosses to him?
    The winger may still have a great pass completion rate, while the midfielder goes largely un noticed by the TV cameras.

Football is an unpredicatble game, thats why we watch it. Stats are useful in their own ways but they are far from the be all and end all.

Eirebear wrote: »
    For any manager or scout, seeing a player in the flesh is a whole lot more advantageous than a bunch of percentages on a piece of paper.

anyone who thinks otherwise needs their heads examined, but to say stats are for idiots is just pure stupidity....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

anyone who thinks otherwise needs their heads examined, but to say stats are for idiots is just pure stupidity....

Not wanting to speak for Des here, but i get the impression that he means people who form their ideas purely on statistical analysis are missing the point of the game.

Not wanting to speak for Des here, but i get the impression that he means people who form their ideas purely on statistical analysis are missing the point of the game.

thats fair enough, but thats clearly not what he said....

Let me clear this up.

People who wade into discussions with stats, and using those stats to negate what is clearly the truth, are imbeciles, such as the example I highlighted about Scholes above.

For a "pass completion rate" for example. If a player passes to his team mate ten times, and completes eight of those passes, he gets a fairly awesome 80% pass completion rate stat. Great. But it's never mentioned that five of those passes were to the GK, two of them were five yard sideways passes and maybe one was a pass to a winger is a decent crossing position. All very well, but two of the passes were attempted 20 yard forward balls, which fall short and had posession to the opposition.

Another player who makes ten passes, but only two make their destination, and gets a fairly crappy 20% pass completion rate stat, but all ten were diagonal 30 yard passes into space, some underhit, some overhit, but crucially, two land perfectly and the striker bags a brace.

I know which player I'd prefer in my team. Give me the 20% guy any day.

You point out that the first player in that example had a bad game, and some spa always comes along with the "but but but he had an 80% pass completion rate in the game, you have no idea what you are talking about:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:".

As I said. Imbeciles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭NicheG

Couldn't agree more. Is'nt that how Graeme Souness picked up that lad Ali Dia during his time at Southampton?:D

the human memory is faulty, our perception is faulty. You claim Scholes "mis-hit passes all over the shop' yet he had the best pass completion ratio - now unless no one could pass for love nor money that night those 2 stats tell me you either dont remember very well or you use a lot of hyperbole.

stats are very important QED

NicheG wrote: »
    Couldn't agree more. Is'nt that how Graeme Souness picked up that lad Ali Dia during his time at Southampton?:D
    no its not...

the human memory is faulty, our perception is faulty. You claim Scholes "mis-hit passes all over the shop' yet he had the best pass completion ratio - now unless no one could pass for love nor money that night those 2 stats tell me you either dont remember very well or you use a lot of hyperbole.

stats are very important QED

Wrong.

I just didn't count the little five yard passes that any professional footballer should be able to make.

What I was talking about were the longer passes, fifteen yards or more, that he was failing to make that night. In a thirty minute period around half time (30mins-60mins)in that match I counted Scholes giving away posession about twenty times with mis-hit passes, the kind of passes he is usually very very good at. He simply could not pass properly or retain posession that night. It was very obvious that he'd had a bad game, but some cretin arrived with his stats. I've no doubt Scholes passed many, many times to Carrick or Anderson, or Ferdinand or Vidic or VDS, and completed his passes to them, I've absolutely no doubt about that whatsoever.

The reason I started counting the passes is because I was getting fairly frustrated watching such a talented individual having such an awful day at the office. Every time he got the ball I was hoping he'd just give it to his MF partner instead of trying, and once again failing, a longer pass to either a winger or forward player.

Now, his stats for that game I'm sure are impressive, but for anyone who actually knows anything about football, they's agree that he was totally shíte that night. He didn't do the job he was put there to do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

Capello tries to give underperforming, but potentially matchwinning midfielder, who plays for his team, a boost shocka.

Advertisement