Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the clock and me!

Options
  • 11-05-2010 1:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭

hi lads decided to start up a log so i can track my progress and more importantly maybe get some advice along the way..

im 26 year old male...i was basically a off and on social jogger from my early 20s, my first two races in 08 dungarvan and ballycotton and with little enough training i was happy to get a PB of 72:xx.... after these races i went by the wayside and didnt do much until around this time last year....it took me a while to get my base fitness up again but i decided to sign up for the DCM09.... i followed the runners world training programme which was very light on the milage....i did 366 mile for the 16 week programme which averaged under 25 mile a week but did do the key long runs...i did 541 miles from jan o9 to dcm09 along the way i did the kilkenny half in 1 hour 40 mins. I followed village runner and krusty in DCM and was dragged in in 3.29:42 and i loved the whole experience

so since jan 2010 i have be running a bit more i did dungarvan10 in 70:55 and ballycotton10 in 69:14 tramore 10k in 41:04 and a few local races of which the best was a 4 mile in 25 mins

at the moment i am averaging 30-35 miles a week and hope to build that by a few miles a week so i can either start the P&D 50mpw programme (either do 16 week programme or 12 not sure yet?) for the dublin city marathon.
    My targets for the year were a sub 70 10 mile, a sub 40 10 k and a sub 3:15 marathon. i done the 10 mile and hope to do the 10k this month.
    So thats basically where im at now...i hope this log will keep me on course:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

i hope this log will keep me on course:)

You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't....groan :o

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭bart simpson

eliwallach wrote: »
    You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't....groan :o

Best of luck.
    thanks eliwallach:)

right so....

Monday May 10th ...6.2 miles 8.09m/m Hilly loop
    Tuesday May 11th ...5 miles 8.33m/m Hilly loop

Wednesday 5 mile Race
    Time ...31:33
    Splits 6:31, 6:22, 6:29, 6:24, 5:58
    avg pace 6:19
    im happy with the way the race went. based on my previous race mc millian predicted 31:48 for 5 miles...so once i beat mc millian i cant complain:) i put in that result in to mc millian last night and it now has me under 40 minutes for a 10k...but it always looks easier on paper(screen)...i going to give sub 40 10k a shot in youghal on the 23rd of may and see if im there or not

Today
    5 mile 8:50m/m Recovery run

15th May 6.10 miles avg 8.28 m/m interval hill session

total miles this week 27.3
    not as much miles as i would have liked...bit of a lazy week..going to do a long run either monday or tuesday, also i need to get the finger out and start some core workouts

May 19th
    5 Mile @8:10m/m Hill loop
    6 Mile @7:13m/m Road

May 20th
    Swimming 40 lengths 20 meter pool
    5 Mile @8:59 Recovery Run

• Advertisement

May 21st
    4 Mile @ 8:45 Race Prep jog

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭DustyBin

goodluck at the weekend, sub 40 will be no bother to ya with that 5 miler and Youghal I think is supposed to be fast

DustyBin wrote: »
    goodluck at the weekend, sub 40 will be no bother to ya with that 5 miler and Youghal I think is supposed to be fast
    thanks dusty:) im very worried about the weather...im fair skinned and dodge the sun like a vampire....i did the kilinaboy 10 miler this year and it was a hot day and i really suffered in it..there is a 10k in stoneyford in county kilkenny tomorrow i am seriously thinking about doing this instead..the course is not as fast but it is on earlier and its closer to home, youghal is a long drive to get cooked

okay last week was a disaster, in the end i didnt do any race on sunday, felt it was just too hot for me and i hadnt trained in that heat all year so ihit the beer garden instead and really went off the rails altogether:) but i suppose it aint the worst thing in the world il be starting the marathon programme soon so now is the time to let off the steam,
    so last week i did a very disappointing 19 miles(the lowest since january)

25th May
    13.10 miles @ 7:57 m/m

26th May
    5 Miles @ 8:40 m/m hilly loop

• Advertisement

27th May
    5 Mile @ 8:38 m/m

28th May
    6.20 Miles @ 6:39 m/m

29th May
    4 Miles @ 9:00 m/m recovery run

31st May
    Core workout

1st June
    5 Mile @ 8:05 m/m

2nd June
    8 Mile @ 8:00 m/m

3rd June
    5 Mile @ 8:20 m/m

4th June
    10 Miles @ 8:42 m/m

5th June
    10.30 Miles @ 8:14 m/m

not going to bother going for a run today, total miles this week was 38.28, which i am happy enough with, next week i think i will try and do 40 miles with some faster work included...maybe il try the first 40 mile week of the p&d up to 55 plan, just to see what im letting myself in for!

just one question that id like to know, if i wanted to do doubles with P&D and lets say it says 10 mile general aerobic....what would that equal for effort in a double day? two 6 mile runs?, 6 and a 7?

decided that i wasnt going to do any speedwork again this week, there will be plenty of time for that, just going to get time on feet until i start the p&d 18 week programme on monday, im going to start it one week early just to allow for any mishaps.

June 9th
    10 Mile @8:02 m/m

June 10th
    11.30 Mile @8:32 m/m

didnt get to do much last weekend...i got a stomach bug and couldnt do much at all never mind run.

i started my DCM training programme this week, its 19 weeks to DCM, i am starting it a week early

June 15th
    L.T run 8 Miles with 4 Miles @ HMP
    8.30-8.21- 6.54-6.55-6.54-6.53 -8.42-8.46
    weather was really hot so made the session a bit harder than it should be but overall happy with the effort and its great to get started beck into a programme.

June 16th
    60 lengths
    coreworkout+ strength

June 17th
    9 mile @8.26 m/m hilly loop

June18th
    4 mile @8.58m/m recover jog
    50 lengths

June 19th
    12 mile @8.45m/m

June 23rd
    10 Mile @ 8.33 m/m

June 24th
    10 Mile 3 mile @ 9.45 m/m 7 mile @ 8.33 m/m

June 25th
    60 lenghts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

i started my DCM training programme this week, its 19 weeks to DCM, i am starting it a week early
    Good stuff. Will we see you in the 3:15 pacing group this year, or are you going straight for the jugular?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

Good stuff. Will we see you in the 3:15 pacing group this year, or are you going straight for the jugular?
    3.15 i hear. He is a tough little cookie.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

3.15 i hear. He is a tough little cookie.

Ahh.. Bart's part of the Kilkenny collective! Hope to see you with VR under the 3:15 Balloon(s) so. :)

cheers krusty, hope to stick in with the 3.15 group....if i can get my PB down by 15 minutes i will be a happy man:)

Ahh.. Bart's part of the Kilkenny collective! Hope to see you with VR under the 3:15 Balloon(s) so. :)
    yeah it will be great if the two of ye are pacing 3.15 this year....il need all the help i can get!

June 26th
    4 Miles @8.48 m/m
    60 lenghts

June 27th
    13.1 Miles @8.08 m/m
    this was supposed to be done with 8 miles at marathon pace but didnt get much sleep the night before so decided to give the pace part a miss...kinda feel guilty but as tergat says "run to feel" plenty of time for marathon paced runs in yet

Miles this week 37
    lenghts 120
    corework.... none........ tut tut tut

June 29th
    strength training
    50 lengths
    10.5 Miles @ 8.20 m/m hilly loop

June 30th
    6 Miles @ 9.04 m/m recovery jog

1st July
    LT session
    8 Mile with 4 @ 15K pace
    8.46--8.36--6.53--6.51--6.48--6.53--8.34--8.20
    Avg pace 7.43 m/m
    Avg LT pace 6.53 m/m

found this session tough, it was over 20 degrees when i ran it but still tought it would be easier.....although i havent being doing much running at pace lately maybe that is the reason. i am kinda doubtful about a sub 40 10K after that run,.... the marathon programme is on the endurance phase and there is no runs of sub 40 pace:confused:

think i will stick to the programme until the week of the 10 k, which is monday 12th july, the race is friday night 16th july
    the week should go like this..., 6 mile with 5k @10k pace on monday morning and 5 mile easy monday afternoon, 5 mile on tuesday, Rest wed, 4 mile thursday, race friday 10k, 16 mile on sat, 4 rec on sunday. with most of the miles being on the monday before the race and the saturday after i hope to be fresh enough to give sub 40 a shot! time will tell:)

2nd July
    6 Miles@ 9.24 m/m rec jog
    5o Lenghts

3rd July
    14 Mile @ 8.23 m/m

Miles this week 44.2
    lenghts 110

6th July
    11.5 Mile (8mile @ 7.45 3.5mile @ 9.30)

7th July
    3.2 Mile @ 8.25 m/m