Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chemistry Option Choice

• 11-05-2010 1:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

Hey i was out of my class when option was covered so basically i have to do it myself. Just wondering which one i should do Im doing chemistry and also physics but not geography if that helps.
    So which options do people find easiest and which are best?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Atmospheric option is piss easy.

The industrial one is also very very easy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

Fad wrote: »
    Atmospheric option is piss easy.

The industrial one is also very very easy.
    Industrial isn't up this year. It's further electrochemistry and that instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭zam

Atmospheric is lovely! Especially if you do biology.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭straight_As

What does one mean by 'not up'? I'm not being smarmy here, it's just my teacher doesn't teach the option so I'm gonna have to do it myself. What do you have to study? Alls I see is 4 chapters at the end of Understanding Chemistry?! :P

Yeah I don't really understand either? I thought industrial and atmospheric were in the same option...? That's the option I'm doing anyway...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Stinjy

Are these the options like the chapters in the back of the work book.. because I'm fairly sure we did Industrial... I could be wrong though.... lol

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭leg

theowen wrote: »
    Industrial isn't up this year. It's further electrochemistry and that instead.

I call bull****.
    Theres 2 options one is electrochemistry and two is atmospheric and industrial.

Thats why there i always a choice in Q.11c as you only have to do one.

ps industrial seems to be the one for this year ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭MaggieNF

didn't do an option, you can get through the paper grand without it like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

MaggieNF wrote: »
    didn't do an option, you can get through the paper grand without it like?

You can, but the options are RIDICULOUSLY easy marks....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭OxfordComma

Yeah, Industrial and Atmospheric is all one option, so it definitely isn't a case of one being "up" and the other not. You have to study either that (Option A), or Option B, which is Electrochemistry and Materials Chemistry. Unless of course you don't bother with the option at all, but why not just cover one? Easy marks. I'd recommend Industrial and Atmospheric, because they're very easy to understand (mostly just rote learning to be honest), and because I generally find Electrochemistry harder than any other part of Chemistry. The majority answer on Option A as far as I know.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Jordandancer

i didnt do it, and wouldnt at this point.. you most likely will only get half a question on it....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

leg wrote: »
    I call bull****.
    Theres 2 options one is electrochemistry and two is atmospheric and industrial.

Thats why there i always a choice in Q.11c as you only have to do one.

ps industrial seems to be the one for this year ;)
    Crap. I thought I might have missed some notes last week. I assumed because athmospheric is a chapter in itself!. Apologies:)

you coudl do the option, my class didn't

We only just finished the course, no one knows any of it cos we had such a crap teacher last year so I'm screwed anyways :(

Do the option, do the industrial/atmospheric, it's well worth your while! Like you still have 4 weeks and chemistry is right as the end of the LC so chances are you've a few free days before that too.
    The option is always the last part of question 4 (6 easy marks) and the last part of question 11 (25 REALLY easy marks)

zam wrote: »
    Do the option, do the industrial/atmospheric, it's well worth your while! Like you still have 4 weeks and chemistry is right as the end of the LC so chances are you've a few free days before that too.
    The option is always the last part of question 4 (6 easy marks) and the last part of question 11 (25 REALLY easy marks)

that in the workbook yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭aine92

We didnt study an option, its grand without it, I dont know If i'd bother if you havent done it in school, probably be better off just studying what you have already :)

MaggieNF wrote: »
    that in the workbook yeah?

I'm not sure, just took up chemistry this year in my own time and am using institute notes!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

[postgrad in electrochemistry]So is anyone daring the electrochemistry section?[/postgrad in electrochemistry]

:eek: :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭IronGirl92

Yeah our teacher just decided we'd be grand without doing any of the option. Making me feel a bit uneasy but sure..I do Biology and Physics as well and from what I've read of the questions I'd be able to scrape through them if needs be..

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Victoria.

Yep the option is only tested by one short question and a part (c) question in one of those do two of (a) (b) (c) types. So completely avoidable, much more important things at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

I didn't cover the option in class and tbh I'm not inclined to do it on my own. There's a reasonable choice on the paper, I guess, and it'd take too much time to do at this stage (for me, anyway.)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

I'm sorry for reviving an old thread, but what's the deal with these optional chapters?
    Do you study all 3 or just 1?

Edit to make my question more specific:
    If you just study one option and the short question and part (c) question is on another option, you're screwed pretty much... So it's either study them all, chance one or none at all?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

I'm sorry for reviving an old thread, but what's the deal with these optional chapters?
    Do you study all 3 or just 1?

Edit to make my question more specific:
    If you just study one option and the short question and part (c) question is on another option, you're screwed pretty much... So it's either study them all, chance one or none at all?

There's actually 4 chapters.

Atmospheric and Industrial Chemistry are one pair and

Electrochemistry and I can't remember what the other one is off the top of my head is the other pair. I think it has to do with Polymers.

Both options are presented in Q11c on the paper as an A or B choice. The A choice may contain a question on either Atmospheric or Industrial Chemistry and the B choice may contain a question on either Electrochemistry or Polymers. It's not set which topic will come up in any year.

So you learn one pair of chapters and if you do that question you answer the option that suits you. It's madness learning all four.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 70 ✭✭grinds

I would do the option... If it were next May and you were asking this I would probably leave it... it's a guaranteed question so know it well... If you know it well and get your full 25marks you can afford to do a little less well on the remainder of the question and you will still score high on this question.

Advertisement