Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fn F8 urgent help needed!

• 11-05-2010 1:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭

Basically, the screen on my Dell laptop broke last year, so I thought fair enough I'll just plug it into a desktop monitor which I did. Recently my keyboard on it began playing up to the point where it is no longer functioning at all, so I quickly bought a USB keyboard as there were files on there I needed to retrieve for school, and had no way of logging onto my account as I couldn't put my password in! Now last night, I must have accidentally unplugged the battery as it was off when I got to it this morning (I always leave it on) and upon turning it on I realised I have no way of switching from the laptop screen to my monitor! I've always used Fn + F8 in the past, but the USB keyboard doesn't have the Fn buttons, so does anyone know of any alternatives to switch the screen? Thank you very much in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

Only way aound it i know woud be to use a keyboard with a fn key. I have 2 or 3 usb keyboards that have the fn key as part of them. a lot of compact keyboards do.
    ie
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=47313

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,253 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

I see two options, but they don't actually help you with the screen:
    replace the onboard keyboard
    or remove the hard drive and get an external enclosure for it to get at your files

I'd go with the 2nd option myself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭sellerbarry

Does your keyboard have an (F-lock) key?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭qwerty2

After much effort on the original laptop keyboard, I finally managed to get both buttons to work at the same time. Is there anyway in the control panel now to create another shortcut for switching screens to avoid it happening again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,253 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

AFAIK, Windows doesn't know anything about which monitor its going to. However, you could try enabling Hibernation and configuring it to hibernate when battery level gets to say 5%. However the next time you get a Windows/virus update or install some software that needs to restart the laptop, this may not help you.

I'd go with Skatedude's plan: get a KB with Fn on it. In the meantime, backup your important documents to say a USB stick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,570 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

try reseating and cleaning your current keyboard as it may just be crud under there

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Dell keyboards are very easy to remove/replace.
    Google the Service Manual for your model for instructions.
    Check that it is connected properly to the main board. It just plugs in with a little connector.
    You can also get more adventurous and check the screen.
    Often the CCFL bulb that powers the backlight goes.
    If you look closely you can see that there is some faint signal on the screen, but it's really really faint. If so you can solder in a new CCFL.

Otherwise it could be the inverter or even a bad connection.

Heck you might even be able to get the exact same model laptop off ebay on the cheap and scavenge it for parts or simply put your current HDD into it.

Advertisement