Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Capello's 30

• 11-05-2010 1:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/may/11/capello-england-world-cup-squad

Goalkeepers: Joe Hart, David James, Robert Green.

Defenders: Leighton Baines, Jamie Carragher, Ashley Cole, Michael Dawson, Rio Ferdinand, Glen Johnson, Ledley King, John Terry, Matthew Upson, Stephen Warnock.

Midfielders: Gareth Barry, Michael Carrick, Joe Cole, Steven Gerrard, Tom Huddlestone, Adam Johnson, Frank Lampard, Aaron Lennon, James Milner, Scott Parker, Theo Walcott, Shaun Wright-Phillips.

Forwards: Darren Bent, Peter Crouch, Jermain Defoe, Emile Heskey, Wayne Rooney.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Ha I beat you but in the other thread :(

Scott Parker is a surprise, Michael Carrick isn't but hopefully he'll get weeded out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,068 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Theyve got some squad...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

G'wan AJ!

I have much man love for that guy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

carragher??????? is he not retired from international football?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

Des wrote: »

Defenders: Leighton Baines, Jamie Carragher, Ashley Cole, Michael Dawson, Rio Ferdinand, Glen Johnson, Ledley King, John Terry, Matthew Upson, Stephen Warnock.

Midfielders: Gareth Barry, Michael Carrick, Joe Cole, Steven Gerrard, Tom Huddlestone, Adam Johnson, Frank Lampard, Aaron Lennon, James Milner, Scott Parker, Theo Walcott, Shaun Wright-Phillips.

Final Squad imo

• Advertisement

Carra was unretired (he was made an offer he couldn't refuse, sitting on the bench)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

ha, Carrick.

ha, Carra.

ha, Theo.

delighted for Huddlestone, Dawson, King, Parker, A. Johnson and Bent. i hope one or two of them actually make it onto the plane now.

Joe Cole is there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

That's my guess at the final squad. Can't decide whether it will be King or Dawson brought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Very strong squad they have this year, if they stay injury free they can go very far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

that would be my 23 from his 30

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Roaster

How the fcuk is Heskey still getting picked?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Frisbee wrote: »
    That's my guess at the final squad. Can't decide whether it will be King or Dawson brought.

I'd imagine he's bringing King, hence Carra there for if/when King is crocked and as cover for both full bcks.

Roaster wrote: »
    How the fcuk is Heskey still getting picked?

Have you watched Englands qualifying games? He's ben very effective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Was Hargreaves not supposed to be involved despite never playing at all?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Ush1 wrote: »
    Was Hargreaves not supposed to be involved despite never playing at all?

There are streakers who have had more time on the pitch than Hargreaves this season,

he never had a chance of being considered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭RichTea

Very impressive squad. I don't see Gareth Barry making the final squad, barring a remarkable recovery from injury. I'm quite pleased to see the Tottenham centrebacks get picked; although I fear one might make the final squad and not the other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

In terms of form there are a fair few in there who've had pretty poor seasons either in terms of playing form or injuries, which is worrying especially when you look at who the players who are likely to be feature/be subs are.

Really hard to see England do well unless it's on Rooney's back.

Joe Hart - Great Season
    David James - Good Season
    Robert Green - Part of the West Ham defence
    Leighton Baines - Decent season
    Jamie Carragher - Only very fair season.
    Ashley Cole - Back from injury
    Michael Dawson - Good season
    Rio Ferdinand - Crocked
    Glen Johnson - Great start to season then injuries disrupted his form.
    Ledley King - Crock
    John Terry - A troublesome season
    Matthew Upson - Part of the West Ham defence
    Stephen Warnock - Weakest part of the Villa defence
    Gareth Barry - Crocked
    Michael Carrick - Not exactly a form player;)
    Joe Cole - Crocked with some very very brief flashes of quality
    Steven Gerrard - His worst season ever for Liverpool by some distance
    Tom Huddlestone - Decent form
    Adam Johnson - Decent form
    Frank Lampard - Good season
    Aaron Lennon - Good then crocked
    James Milner - Great season - Probably fatigued as feck by playing 8million minutes for Villa
    Scott Parker - Best West Ham midfielder
    Theo Walcott - Erratic to put it mildly
    Shaun Wright-Phillips - Fast bench player
    Darren Bent - Great season
    Peter Crouch - Good in patches but only patches
    Jermain Defoe - Form recently has been shocking esp compared to start of season
    Emile Heskey - Club Form :D
    Wayne Rooney - Great Season

mike65 wrote: »
    Joe Cole is there

i'm blind.

he should go, not Theo IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Some peculiar picks. I think AJ is a cert to go. Being one of the few lefties & question marks over Barry's fitness. Carra is sound back-up. Better than Sol Campbell that is for sure. Still alot of question marks though mainly:

Lennon & Defoe's recent injuries and lack of game time
    Barry & Rooney injuries
    Cover for Glen Johnson?
    Rio's injuries & lack of game time?
    Gerrards had a poor season

Lots to get right between here & June

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Amazing to think in the space of five months Adam Johnson could go from playing in the Championship to the World Cup... :eek:

Also who does everyone think will start in place of Barry?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,111 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Amazing to think in the space of five months Adam Johnson could go from playing in the Championship to the World Cup... :eek:

Also who does everyone think will start in place of Barry?

It won't happen, but I think Parker is the one I'd trust most for that all action defensive shield role.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Just heard there Scholsey rejected an invitation to join the squad. Doesn't sound good to be gettin all the old boys back late in the day

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elius

Cant see them being up to much in the world cup this yr. Only rooney and lamps shine out as being star players this season. Joe hart in the mix aswell.. we shall see though. Shame scholes didnt take up the offer. He would be a good player to have in the squad..

MementoMori you are overlooking the alchemy that Fabio can work on dross! :p

I think the main thing AJ has going for him is that Stewart Downing hasn't been picked.

Adam Johnson must go IMO.

he's young, fearless, a man in form, and he offers something a bit different.

he won't start, nor do i think he should, but he's potentially quite the ace up the sleeve if England are struggling.

in himself, Joe Cole and Crouch, if they were all to go, England would have 3 players who can genuinely change a game if needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

mike65 wrote: »
    MementoMori you are overlooking the alchemy that Fabio can work on dross! :p

Would be some achievement to turn things around for so many players.

Some of the players who have had the best form recently are those who are probably furthest from the starting eleven.

I find it very hard to see beyond an England implosion at some stage.

capello he confirmed he asked scholes, who said no and he asked zamora who always has to play with injections. so that explains his omission

No Ashley Young btw :confused:

• Advertisement

Some of the players who have had the best form recently are those who are probably furthest from the starting eleven.

i mean, with all players fit; the best team IMO on form, is...

James
    Johnson
    Dawson
    Terry
    Cole
    Huddlestone----Milner
    Johnson
    Lampard
    Lennon
    Rooney

you could argue a case for Hart in goals, and King instead of Terry at CB.

i know he'll never play it, and probably rightly so! and it's not the formation he likes to play, but i, personally, would love to see how that team gets on.

SlickRic wrote: »
    i mean, with all players fit; the best team IMO on form, is...

James
    Johnson
    Dawson
    Terry
    Cole
    Huddlestone----Milner
    Johnson
    Lampard
    Lennon
    Rooney

you could argue a case for Hart in goals, and King instead of Terry at CB.

i know he'll never play it, and probably rightly so! and it's not the formation he likes to play, but i, personally, would love to see how that team gets on.

I reckon a Brazil or Spain would rip that team a new arsehole.

Ush1 wrote: »
    I reckon a Brazil or Spain would rip that team a new arsehole.

true.

but i'd say that of the full England team too; experienced players included.

a fully fit Ferdinand, and a fully motivated Stevie, are the only ones that would improve the team hugely.

SlickRic wrote: »
    true.

but i'd say that of the full England team too; experienced players included.

a fully fit Ferdinand, and a fully motivated Stevie, are the only ones that would improve the team hugely.

Yep, agree there. I think if Rooney stays fit they might do okay but the lack of top class creativity, particurlarly in midfield will cost them.

Xavi6 wrote: »

dont think he's appeared in a competive game for capello yet, he's been poor in any friendlies he's picked him for.

and he's a one trick pony

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

jamie carragher got in how? hes played aweful the last 2 seasons imo, ithought they were mad when they were saying gary neville was going to go. I really hope heskey doesnt go i just dont rate him as a player at all crouch will at least play good in same role and maybe get a goal hope he takes bent instead of heskey

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,832 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Emile Heskey :eek: WTF????

i think we all need to learn to live with it...

Heskey is going to go.

because he is a selfless player, who almost always brings the best out of his strike partner; love him or loathe him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Carragher and Carrick are very lucky to be there and their presence is merely based on past form.

Capello's starting XI would be IMO:
    James
    Johnson Ferdinand Terry Cole
    Lennon Lampard Barry Gerrard
    Heskey Rooney

My XI:
    Hart
    Johnson Dawson Terry Cole
    Lennon Lampard Milner Johnson
    Defoe Rooney

RB and LM are very weak IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

heskey, how is he in the team. crazeyyyy

must have bribed capello a good few k's

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭uncleoswald

It really is surprising that so many were thinking Heskey wouldn't be going. He was hardly banging them in the past. He has never let Capello down so why would he suddenly be dropped? I predict he'll start but not finish as Rooney's strike partner.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I'll be surprised if Walcott isn't starting games at the WC. Ditto Heskey. They're the key foils for Rooney in Capello's setup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

There'll be at least 3 midfielders culled i'd imagine, maybe four? Isn't the usual structure

3*goalkeepers
    8*defenders
    8*midfielders
    4*strikers

Would imagine that Warnock, Upson, Walcott, Cole and Bent are unlikely to go. Bent deserves to go instead of Heskey IMO. Think Huddlestone and Johnson will impress in the training camp and may stay. Carrick would have to be a doubt really too.

It should be a strong enough squad to get through the groups and maybe the last 16. That's as far as they'll get imo.

A lot is resting on Rooney's form and fitness.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Sútalún

I'm trying to thing of ommisions other than Downing, L. Young and Zamora.. None really. I think whoever said Carra is back up to King is right, if King stays fit I think he's going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Why are so many surprised with Heskey's inclusion?

He played the majority of qualifiers, and Rooney is on record as saying that Heskey is his favoured partner in a 4-4-2 for England.

People sticking Defor/Rooney as their preferred option are being silly, they are far too similar, both small, quick players.

Defoe is going as back up to Rooney, he is the next best of that type of player, and the only time I think we'd see them on the same pitch is if England need a goal and go three up top, where we'd see

Heskey/Crouch
    ----Rooney
    Defoe

With England pumping it long and the "big man" knocking it down to the onrunning smaller goalscorers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Why arent people more suprised by Ashley Youngs ommission? Im highly confused by that decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,282 ✭✭✭slingerz

James
    Johnson
    Ferdinand
    Terry
    A.Cole
    Gerrard----Carrick
    Lennon
    Lampard
    J.Cole
    Rooney

Thats the first choice team right there for me. Capello likes to introduce so speed for the last 15 so i suspect Walcott to get some game time from the bench. Carragher will be in the squad for his versatility

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

slingerz wrote: »

James
    Johnson
    Ferdinand
    Terry
    A.Cole
    Gerrard----Carrick
    Lennon
    Lampard
    J.Cole
    Rooney

Thats the first choice team right there for me. Capello likes to introduce so speed for the last 15 so i suspect Walcott to get some game time from the bench. Carragher will be in the squad for his versatility

Carrick?....meh very average player hope he doesnt make it.

• Moderators Posts: 8,728 ✭✭✭x PyRo

Degag wrote: »
    Would imagine that Warnock, Upson, Walcott, Cole and Bent are unlikely to go.

You're obviously not aware that he is in fact Fabio's love child.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭damienmcd

Xavi6 wrote: »

This completely baffles me! SWP gets in but Ashley Young is omitted? I will be the first to admit that Young hasn't had the best season of his life but he has been playing consistently and is always capable of turning a game around.

Big mistake on Capello's part IMO.

• Advertisement
Advertisement