Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Capello's 30

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,950 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

What's the plan for RB? Isn't Johnson injured, or is he back?

I mean, if he was naming Johnson, why didn't he name Brown also?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

I don't think Capello rates Ashley Young, he has never taken his chance in his limited appearances. Not a surprising omission at all. Of course rating SWP and Walcott above him is always surprising.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Capello said before that milner and huddlestone where Englands future but this may come as a couple of years too early for Tom to make the team/squad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Des wrote: »
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/may/11/capello-england-world-cup-squad

Goalkeepers: Joe Hart, David James, Robert Green.

Defenders: Leighton Baines, Jamie Carragher, Ashley Cole, Michael Dawson, Rio Ferdinand, Glen Johnson, Ledley King, John Terry, Matthew Upson, Stephen Warnock.

Midfielders: Gareth Barry, Michael Carrick, Joe Cole, Steven Gerrard, Tom Huddlestone, Adam Johnson, Frank Lampard, Aaron Lennon, James Milner, Scott Parker, Theo Walcott, Shaun Wright-Phillips.

Forwards: Darren Bent, Peter Crouch, Jermain Defoe, Emile Heskey, Wayne Rooney.

What we can deduce from that:

- Capello will continue with 4-4-2, based on the number of midfielders and forwards.
    - Carragher will almost certainly be on the plane, as himself and GlenJo are the only right backs in the 31 man squad.
    - Heskey will almost certainly be on the plane, as Capello didn't call him up to "take a look" at him based on his current form.

I reckon his preferred team will be:

James
    GlenJo-Ferdinand-Terry-Cole
    Walcott-Barry-Lampard-Gerrard
    Heskey-Rooney

I'd go for:

James
    GlenJo-Ferdinand-King-Cole
    Barry-Lampard
    Lennon--Gerrard--Rooney
    Bent

but then Fabio has won a few more cups than I have.

What we can deduce from that:

- Capello will continue with 4-4-2, based on the number of midfielders and forwards.
    - Carragher will almost certainly be on the plane, as himself and GlenJo are the only right backs in the 31 man squad.
    - Heskey will almost certainly be on the plane, as Capello didn't call him up to "take a look" at him based on his current form.

I reckon his preferred team will be:

James
    GlenJo-Ferdinand-Terry-Cole
    Walcott-Barry-Lampard-Gerrard
    Heskey-Rooney

I'd go for:

James
    GlenJo-Ferdinand-King-Cole
    Barry-Lampard
    Lennon--Gerrard--Rooney
    Bent

but then Fabio has won a few more cups than I have.

I'm sure Lennon is his no 1 right sider but he's not quite sharp after injury while Walcott is just Walcott.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

for people questioning carraghers inclusion:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=65834224&postcount=96

for people questioning heskeys inclusion:

you havent seen england play under capello then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

I knew it wouldn't be long before Big Sam had something to say about the omission of Paul Robinson...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/world_cup_2010/8678029.stm

I would have to agree with him in that Robinson should be in the team, but i would have him in there instead of Green.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Ush1 wrote: »
    Was Hargreaves not supposed to be involved despite never playing at all?

Capello said he spoke with Hargreaves before naming the squad but surely they could never have brought a player that has hardly kicked a ball in the last 2 years? I'm a little surprised that he was even considered, though I do rate him as a very good player when he's fit.

Capello said before that milner and huddlestone where Englands future but this may come as a couple of years too early for Tom to make the team/squad

Milner is a certainty at this stage. Not too sure about Huddlestone though, I can't see him going.

Like alot of other posters here I have never rated Heskey, he looks to me like nothing more than a big lump. But Capello seems to like him and I think he will be on the plane. That probably means no Darren Bent, unless he brings 5 strikers ans culls an extra midfielder. I'm not convinced about Michael Carrick either, they don't really need him unless Barry is ruled out through injury.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Having looked long and hard at this squad, while very very strong (as you'd expect) I can't help but feeling it's the same old same old. Capello not really changing anything from the usual old guard and playing it safe, probably in fear of the backlash from the retarded english media.

For once I would really like to see an England WC squad that had some real hunger about it, there are plenty of quality players chomping at the bit to get in and who would represent their country with more pride than some of those included, which is highly leaning towards those with the largest ego reputation.

It's a solid squad on paper, but not exactly adventurous considering they have ideas to win the feckin' thing.

Lampard, Milner, Rooney and Bent have all had great seasons but you'd be hard pushed to say some of the others are really performing at the top of their games. He's even included more than a few with injury problems, quite a few who haven't seen consistent first team action and called back a retired international.

I'd like to see more inclusions a la Adam Johnson, because it shows the selection is at least done on form, merit and hard work. But chances are Johnson will be cut in favour of a bigger name.

Quarter Finals, at a push, IMHO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭uncleoswald

Savman wrote: »
    Having looked long and hard at this squad, while very very strong (as you'd expect) I can't help but feeling it's the same old same old. Capello not really changing anything from the usual old guard and playing it safe, probably in fear of the backlash from the retarded english media.

So name some names. Who is missing?

Seems like a reasonable squad selection to me considering what is available. But it doesn't seem as strong as it did during qualifying so I'd agree about quarter finals or semis if the draw is favourable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,466 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

quarter finals or semis if the draw is favourable.

That is Englands level quarters. Anything beyond that is an achievement for them imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,014 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Des wrote: »
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/may/11/capello-england-world-cup-squad

Goalkeepers: Joe Hart, David James, Robert Green.

Defenders: Leighton Baines, Jamie Carragher, Ashley Cole, Michael Dawson, Rio Ferdinand, Glen Johnson, Ledley King, John Terry, Matthew Upson, Stephen Warnock.

Midfielders: Gareth Barry, Michael Carrick, Joe Cole, Steven Gerrard, Tom Huddlestone, Adam Johnson, Frank Lampard, Aaron Lennon, James Milner, Scott Parker, Theo Walcott, Shaun Wright-Phillips.

Forwards: Darren Bent, Peter Crouch, Jermain Defoe, Emile Heskey, Wayne Rooney.
    Biggest surprise to me is no Beckham, I thought he was likely to make it back for the World Cup.
    Only one right back, Carragher played there of course for years, is that why he is in there?
    I like the inclusion of Adam Johnson and he should be brought, he has been very impressive since joining Citeh.
    I think Ashley Young has to be very disappointed to not even make the final 30 with Walcott, Joe Cole and Wright-Phillips ahead of him.
    Stewart Downing has been one of Capello's boys too and he didn't make it either which is a bit of a surprise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Beckham is injured.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

eagle eye wrote: »
    Biggest surprise to me is no Beckham

Where have you been for the past two months? Beckham ruptured his Achilles. It was front page news for a whole week! There are doubts he'll even play again.

Where have you been for the past two months? Beckham ruptured his Achilles. It was front page news for a whole week! There are doubts he'll even play again.
    I thought he was going to be close to making it and as such would have expected Capello to have him in his 30 man.

• Advertisement

I thought he was going to be close to making it and as such would have expected Capello to have him in his 30 man.

He had surgery in march. He'll be out for 6-8 months minimum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

They are on the easier half of the draw so I expect them to get to the Semis at least provided Rooney stays fit.

So name some names. Who is missing?

Seems like a reasonable squad selection to me considering what is available. But it doesn't seem as strong as it did during qualifying so I'd agree about quarter finals or semis if the draw is favourable.
    Ashley Young, in spite of my obvious bias, at least warrants a call up especially considering SWP hasn't set the world alight at City and Joe Cole returning from an injury. FWIW I think Cole & SWP are class acts, but have been far from their best this season.

I suppose it doesn't really matter who the 30 is, or who the 23 is, come opening game it'll most likely be the same faces for England. I think what I'm getting at is that it shouldn't just pick itself because form, amongst other things, has to be taken into consideration. A radical change has to happen at some stage if England want to win anything, they haven't been close to contending for a long time.

The other guy I thought would make it was Phil Jagielka, I had him down for the 23.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Shocked that theres no Agbonglahor or A.Young

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Im not. Young has never really broke into the English squad yet. Agbonlahor/ If you are Capello who do you leave out to bring him? No one Im afraid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭danlen

Personally I would have selected Gary Cahill, Phil Jagielka, David Dunn, and Carlton Cole. Probably instead of Baines, Carragher, Carrick, and Heskey.

Baines- no need for him, Cole, and Warnock all to be in the squad.
    Carragher- Past it imo, Jagielka is quicker and better with the ball.
    Carrick- Shocking form this season, I beliece Dunn could add more in terms of creativity if needed from the bench.
    Heskey- For a lot of the season he was stuck on Villa's bench. If its a stong target man they want, Cole is a much more well rounded player.

But hey none of those mentioned are likely to play once the tournament comes round anyway...

Agbonlahor is a fair bit off yet in fairness. Ashley Young isn't tho.

danlen wrote: »
    Personally I would have selected Gary Cahill, Phil Jagielka, David Dunn, and Carlton Cole. Probably instead of Baines, Carragher, Carrick, and Heskey.

Baines- no need for him, Cole, and Warnock all to be in the squad.
    Carragher- Past it imo, Jagielka is quicker and better with the ball.
    Carrick- Shocking form this season, I beliece Dunn could add more in terms of creativity if needed from the bench.
    Heskey- For a lot of the season he was stuck on Villa's bench. If its a stong target man they want, Cole is a much more well rounded player.

But hey none of those mentioned are likely to play once the tournament comes round anyway...

so you'd have one LB with no natural cover.
    you'd take one centre half with 0 caps
    one centre have with 3
    a midfielder with 1
    a striker with 7

the WC is no place for a lot of inexperienced players, especially not in defence

I don't think it's that great an England squad. But apart from Spain and Brazil there's no-one else they would fear. There's no shortage of pretty ordinary teams there, and they've landed what looks to be a handy enough group in theory. A semi-final appearance is a realistic target, and after that you never know. But if I was having a bet I'd go for a quarter final exit, probably on penalties as usual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭danlen

event wrote: »
    so you'd have one LB with no natural cover.

Ashley Cole and Stephen Warnock count as two LB's in my mind?
    you'd take one centre half with 0 caps

I don't think having one centre half without a cap is a major problem. Terry and Ferdinand will play every game barring injury. In the case of an injury King is likely to play imo. And worst case scenario I'd rather play Cahill than Carragher anyway!

a midfielder with 1
    a striker with 7

same reasons as above
    the WC is no place for a lot of inexperienced players, especially not in defence

On your logic then, for example, Spain shouldn't take Victor Valdes, Navas, Pedro, or Negredo. France shouldn't take Lloris or Gignac. Argentina shouldn't take Di Maria or Higuain. etc.

If there good enough have them there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I'm surprised Carrick is there, but there's a lack of quality in terms of a holding midfielder, especially with doubts of Barry's fitness, so there's not much choice. I fully expect him to bring a lot of central midfielders to keep his options option, Carrick, Barry, Huddlestone, Lampard and Gerrard I'd say. Then Walcott, Lennon are musts imo. I really think he should bring Adam Johnson, because if Gerrard plays anything like he has this season, he'll need a replacement. Would be tough on J. Cole though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

The best club teams imo are always teams that mix experience and guile, with youth and desire. United's double had players like VDS, Ferdinand and Giggs, at the same time as Ronaldo and Rooney.

Too old or too young tends to result in the balance being the wrong side imo.

Needs more right wingers!

danlen wrote: »
    Ashley Cole and Stephen Warnock count as two LB's in my mind?

didnt know you would take warnock, my mistake

I don't think having one centre half without a cap is a major problem. Terry and Ferdinand will play every game barring injury. In the case of an injury King is likely to play imo. And worst case scenario I'd rather play Cahill than Carragher anyway!

fair enough, id rather a centre half who has actually played in europe though as well as international touraments. i couldnt imagine throwing gary cahill into a semi final against someone like brazil or argentina

On your logic then, for example, Spain shouldn't take Victor Valdes, Navas, Pedro, or Negredo. France shouldn't take Lloris or Gignac. Argentina shouldn't take Di Maria or Higuain. etc.

If there good enough have them there

nope, i said i wouldnt take a lot of them.

you'd have 5, one or two are ok in forward positions though.

but taking centre halves who have barely played in europe, never mind for their country, is madness IMO

• Advertisement

PHB wrote: »
    I'm surprised Carrick is there, but there's a lack of quality in terms of a holding midfielder, especially with doubts of Barry's fitness, so there's not much choice. I fully expect him to bring a lot of central midfielders to keep his options option, Carrick, Barry, Huddlestone, Lampard and Gerrard I'd say. Then Walcott, Lennon are musts imo. I really think he should bring Adam Johnson, because if Gerrard plays anything like he has this season, he'll need a replacement. Would be tough on J. Cole though.
    Milner has to go, fatastic player who can play in the centre and also to a very high level on the right side of midfield. This leaves the option of bringing one less wide player. Personally I don't think Walcott should be going, far too injury prone and he hasn't played well this season either.

Personally I don't think Walcott should be going, far too injury prone and he hasn't played well this season either.

Over the 90 minutes his poor decision making on the ball can really stand out. As an impact sub though, coming on at 70 mins to face tired legs, he's still pretty effective more often than not. He's worth having in the squad.

For the hell of it, here's my 23:

Green - James

Hart
    Carragher - Dawson - Terry - Baines
    Johnson - Ferdinand - King -- Cole
    Walcott -- Milner --- Parker -- A.Johnson
    Lennon -- Lampard - Barry --- Gerrard
    Bent --- Crouch

Rooney - Heskey

Over the 90 minutes his poor decision making on the ball can really stand out. As an impact sub though, coming on at 70 mins to face tired legs, he's still pretty effective more often than not. He's worth having in the squad.

For the hell of it, here's my 23:

Green - James

Hart
    Carragher - Dawson - Terry - Baines
    Johnson - Ferdinand - King -- Cole
    Walcott -- Milner --- Parker -- A.Johnson
    Lennon -- Lampard - Barry --- Gerrard
    Bent --- Crouch

Rooney - Heskey

I'd agree with your selection with one exception, I would take Defoe instead of Heskey. I know Heskey has done reasonably well for England, and Capello appears to like him. But Defoe has had a really good season and a striker in form is a striker to be picked imo. Heskey had an average season and is a distinctly average player at this level. But the real dark horse of the season has been James Milner, he's been superb and must be close enough to a starting place at this stage.

aidan24326 wrote: »
    I'd agree with your selection with one exception, I would take Defoe instead of Heskey. I know Heskey has done reasonably well for England, and Capello appears to like him. But Defoe has had a really good season and a striker in form is a striker to be picked imo. Heskey had an average season and is a distinctly average player at this level. But the real dark horse of the season has been James Milner, he's been superb and must be close enough to a starting place at this stage.
    Will everybody please stfu about Heskey. The guy has been excellent for an England team that were nothing short of impressive in qualifying. He is definitely going to the World Cup and deserves to based on his international performances.

I'd take Defoe ahead of Bent personally. Bent is good when you put the ball in front of him but he offers nothing else.

Will everybody please stfu about Heskey. The guy has been excellent for an England team that were nothing short of impressive in qualifying. He is definitely going to the World Cup and deserves to based on his international performances.

I'd take Defoe ahead of Bent personally. Bent is good when you put the ball in front of him but he offers nothing else.

Say what you like but Heskey is an ordinary player. He has done ok for England to be fair and as much as I don't rate him I would agree that Capello is likely to take Heskey as he will probably stick with what he knows. But that only shows up the fact that England aren't overburdened with strikers at the moment. They won't win a World Cup with those forwards (Rooney excepted of course).

aidan24326 wrote: »
    Say what you like but Heskey is an ordinary player. He has done ok for England to be fair and as much as I don't rate him I would agree that Capello is likely to take Heskey as he will probably stick with what he knows. But that only shows up the fact that England aren't overburdened with strikers at the moment. They won't win a World Cup with those forwards (Rooney excepted of course).
    Heskey is what England need up front with Rooney. The reason he is so affective is not only because of the Rooney factor but the mount of goals that England have in their midfield with Lampard, Gerrard and whoever of Milner/Lennon/Joe Cole/Walcott/SWP is playing.

If you play Darren Bent up there you lose a lot of opportunities to score goals because he is never looking to get the ball with his back to goal or hold up play because he simply doesn't have the strength/skillset to do it.

Even Crouch struggles a bit in this area although he can do it, Defoe can do a lot more for a team than Bent too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Capello mentioned something about considering going with 3 at the back :confused:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/world_cup_2010/8681745.stm

The downside about Defoe is that he doesn't have the same presence as someone like Bent though. If England are chasing a lead I'd rather bring on Bent, who could latch onto a nothing ball from the CBs and get a goal. Not to mention his all round game has improved immensely this year. Defoe is better technically, but I find he sometimes lacks presence, relies a bit more on other players (like Crouch for example) to make space for him and that's not the type of player to have when things aren't going your way. Plus his form really fell off towards the end of the season, he was very poor at times.

The downside about Defoe is that he doesn't have the same presence as someone like Bent though. If England are chasing a lead I'd rather bring on Bent, who could latch onto a nothing ball from the CBs and get a goal. Not to mention his all round game has improved immensely this year. Defoe is better technically, but I find he sometimes lacks presence, relies a bit more on other players (like Crouch for example) to make space for him and that's not the type of player to have when things aren't going your way. Plus his form really fell off towards the end of the season, he was very poor at times.
    Defoe was carrying an injury from March and only getting over it at the end of the season so I wouldn't be too worried about that.

You have to set up right for Darren Bent, sure he will score goals but his all around game is terrible. I think Defoe is a much better footballer than Bent.

And you also have the added bonus that if Rooney misses time you can play Crouch and Defoe together up top and they know each so well and you don't have to worry about them gelling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

Heskey is what England need up front with Rooney. The reason he is so affective is not only because of the Rooney factor but the mount of goals that England have in their midfield with Lampard, Gerrard and whoever of Milner/Lennon/Joe Cole/Walcott/SWP is playing.

If you play Darren Bent up there you lose a lot of opportunities to score goals because he is never looking to get the ball with his back to goal or hold up play because he simply doesn't have the strength/skillset to do it.

Even Crouch struggles a bit in this area although he can do it, Defoe can do a lot more for a team than Bent too.

Agree 100% with this. Heskey isn't and shouldn't be competing with Defoe and Bent for a place in the squad. There's much more to picking a squad for the WC than just choosing the best 23 players available. Heskey brings balance both to the England team and to the squad and offers something that nobody else can imo.

England have 3 genuinely world class attacking players in Rooney, Lampard and Gerrard (possibly not on this seasons form) and if they're to do well at the WC, they'll need all three at their best. Bent and Defoe might offer more of a goal threat than Heskey but they reduce the overall effectiveness and attacking threat of the team imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

You are well off the mark with that judgement anyways. Bent has got the strength and skillset to do it, more times than not i've seen him outperform Jones in that field. I'm not saying he is as good as Heskey at it, but he can play that game and i'd have him there over Defoe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Jamie Carragher didn't play much pre-retirement which I'm guessing was why he retired in the first place. Now he has gotten worse with age - I don't see how Capello could justify a place for Jamie Carragher in the final 30, never mind the final 23.

He's not effective cover for right back either. Stick Milner or Barry there.

Right back is the main weak position for me.

Osu wrote: »
    Jamie Carragher didn't play much pre-retirement which I'm guessing was why he retired in the first place. Now he has gotten worse with age - I don't see how Capello could justify a place for Jamie Carragher in the final 30, never mind the final 23.

He's not effective cover for right back either. Stick Milner or Barry there.

Right back is the main weak position for me.

A midfielder as cover for RB at a world cup? :eek:

rarnes1 wrote: »
    A midfielder as cover for RB at a world cup? :eek:

Jamie Carragher at centre back or right back? :eek:

Infact, Jamie Carragher at the World Cup? :eek:

It's the better option IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Hopefully Bent gets in ahead of Defoe, he has been far better this season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Carragher can cover all accross the back as well as DM.

I rate Capello's judgement well above yours tbh.

The ther England world cup thread has my opinion on Carra this season. Much of the criticism is very short sighted and also lacking in football knowlegde from what I can see.

Stekelly wrote: »
    Carragher can cover all accross the back as well as DM.

I rate Capello's judgement well above yours tbh.

No s**t, hence why he's manager and I'm not, smartarse.

Football is about opinions.

Many, many England fans disagree with Capello's judgement on this one and his little ratings project.

But thanks for stating the obvious.

Advertisement