Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda checking speed on outer ring road at lunchtime today

• 11-05-2010 2:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

Just wondering did any of you see the guard checking speed on the outer ring road at lunch time today. I was driving towards the cork road and he was standing on the centre of the road as you approach the last roundabout before the cork road (I think its called the ballycashin roundabout). He had something on a tripod - dunno if it was a camera but looked like he was checking speed. I never saw him until I got to the roundabout. I was probably doing 70 - 75 kmph approaching the roundabout. Does anyone know if this could be a camera taking pictures and I might get a fine in the post? I thought the guard would normally stop you on the road if you were going to get a fine. He didn't even glance in my direction as I approached. What do you think?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

Keea wrote: »
    Just wondering did any of you see the guard checking speed on the outer ring road at lunch time today. I was driving towards the cork road and he was standing on the centre of the road as you approach the last roundabout before the cork road (I think its called the ballycashin roundabout). He had something on a tripod - dunno if it was a camera but looked like he was checking speed. I never saw him until I got to the roundabout. I was probably doing 70 - 75 kmph approaching the roundabout. Does anyone know if this could be a camera taking pictures and I might get a fine in the post? I thought the guard would normally stop you on the road if you were going to get a fine. He didn't even glance in my direction as I approached. What do you think?

Didn't see him. Everything was a blur to be honest...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭homolumo

they are often in that spot. I never do beyond the limit of 60 on that ring road (even though it is hard not to) and have heard of people getting done for doing just above 60. Would not be surprised if it was a speed camera as many times people have overtaken me well in xs of 60 only for the Gardai to be on that roundabout but no action is taken.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 711 ✭✭✭snuggles09

i saw him on my way to the gym there a while ago..he had a car pulled over and was walking up to him with a tripod thingy in hand..was wondering why everyone was going at a snails pace

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭razor_ryan

Was it the one that drives the unmarked metallic blue mondeo his nickname is Robocop always on the beat 24/7 a real snake

razor_ryan wrote: »
    Was it the one that drives the unmarked metallic blue mondeo his nickname is Robocop always on the beat 24/7 a real snake

this guy had a silver car and he stopped a silver car..all i saw were 2 silver cars as a drove past, one on the verge that i'm assuming was the cops car

• Advertisement

That was him alright he was parked outside B&Q eating his lunch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭honeybadger

thats a haunt for them every now and again at that roundabout every 3 weeks or so expect to see them there at the same times ,,they do be also hiding on the old tramore road roundabout lately snakey fokers lol ,,in fairness nobody respects the 60ty k limit so its only a gold mine for them

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Always thought "robo cop" was the chap on the motorbike.

Not sure how many drive the motorbikes, but I find their driving pretty dangerous the way they skip out in front of traffic without warning. May be the same driver, may be different drivers, but iv seen a couple of examples of their driving that if any other person did similar they would receive points for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭honeybadger

Sully wrote: »

Not sure how many drive the motorbikes, but I find their driving pretty dangerous the way they skip out in front of traffic without warning. May be the same driver, may be different drivers, but iv seen a couple of examples of their driving that if any other person did similar they would receive points for.

its alright for them to do that because they have the power :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

Sully wrote: »

You know if a motorbike cop gets a toss off his bike he can no longer be a motorbike cop, just saying for next time :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Surprised to see that they were out there at lunchtime because he was in that exact spot just after 16:00 yesterday. Snakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Keea

.....but, can anyone say whether he'd have to pull you over if you were going to be done for speeding or did he have something to take pictures? Snuggles09...you say he had a car pulled over and was walking to him with the tripod thingy. So maybe he has to stop you and show you the recorded speed on that thing. Maybe I'm safe so......will keep to 60 from now on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭wellbutty

It's pathetic really, all they're doing is making a safe road dangerous.

On this hill, people (myself included) are now moving in behind a car doing say 80-100km/h and sticking to its rear bumper so a speed camera cant get a fix on their car. It works brilliantly :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

.....but, can anyone say whether he'd have to pull you over if you were going to be done for speeding or did he have something to take pictures? Snuggles09...you say he had a car pulled over and was walking to him with the tripod thingy. So maybe he has to stop you and show you the recorded speed on that thing. Maybe I'm safe so......will keep to 60 from now on.

Not 100% sure on this...

But if the laser gun has no camera, they need more than one gaurd to verify the reading, or if the gaurd is on his own, he has to pull you over and show, well at least offer you the chance to look at the reading.
    otherwise its his word against yours in court...and no proof to show you where speeding.

If the laser gun has a camera for taking pictures of the reg and recording the speed, then one cop can do it all day long and not have to pull anyone over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

wellbutty wrote: »
    On this hill, people (myself included) are now moving in behind a car doing say 80-100km/h and sticking to its rear bumper so a speed camera cant get a fix on their car. It works brilliantly :p

That sounds really safe.

robtri wrote: »
    If the laser gun has a camera for taking pictures of the reg and recording the speed, then one cop can do it all day long and not have to pull anyone over.

Yeah but do the guards have that technology or is it only used in the Gatso van, I wonder. Anytime I've seen speed checks, the guard has always pulled people in.

I have a friend who works for the traffic corps up the country. Must ask him that later on if I remember.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭wellbutty

And if a car is doing 100km/h while overtaking a car doing 50km/h and then a speed camera gets you, it won't stand up in court (which car was breaking the limit????) so it's normally discarded on the spot. Obviously the guard tries to get a second reading which gives you time to get back to 60km/h!

Question is, is it only the Gatso that has the camera in Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

The snakes wont bite you if you respect the speed limit. It's not that hard really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    The snakes wont bite you if you respect the speed limit. It's not that hard really.

Ja, but das ist ein scheißenhöller.

yes there was a silver car pulled up on the grass verge, opposite the roundabout so i can only assume that was his car as there was no bike in sight..he had a camera attached to a tripod thingy and there was a car pulled in just up from teh car with hazards on and he was approaching it as i slowed down to go aroudn the roundabout..i'd say you'd be ok? if he caught you speeding he would have stopped you at the roundabout..i'm assuming thats how he got the other car pulled in (he caught him when he slowed down at roundabout and waved him to the side?)..if he ignored you and left you drive on i'd say you are ok

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

Revenue collectors in uniforms.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭clansman

check out www.trapster.com

go website to log check point or known check points.

Yeah but saying that does not change the fact that they aren't checking people for speeding where it's most dangerous. Instead, they're just collecting money. It's ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 gardatrafficop

garda holding tripod has to stop the vehicle. only the gatso van and the couple of speed cameras that are in the country can send you the ticket. but remember the new ANPR system (the black box on the boot of some cars) can also record and find what speed your doing. i know that one of these is on an unmarked sliver car in waterford.

also if a cop on a bike has a crash or comes off his bike there is no problem with him getting back on it again in the future i know many lads who have gotten knocked off.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

also if a cop on a bike has a crash or comes off his bike there is no problem with him getting back on it again in the future i know many lads who have gotten knocked off.

Aye but if his helmet is off, he cant do anything, right? :P :D :pac:

A few months ago I saw a classic example of Robocop on the New Stretch of Ballygunner Road parked in Someones Drive with his Speed Gun No Vis Jacket on he caught about 8 people within about 2 hours I live across from where he was parked it was the light blue/silver Mondeo very snakey

nkay1985 wrote: »
    Yeah but saying that does not change the fact that they aren't checking people for speeding where it's most dangerous. Instead, they're just collecting money. It's ridiculous.

I agree completely but nobody has any excuse for getting caught speeding.

I agree completely but nobody has any excuse for getting caught speeding.

Well I think we'll have to disagree on that point when talking about the ORR.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

I have issue when there’s a group of cars going 70-75km maybe 80 but their in a line of traffic there are not one bit dangerous going with the flow and are the least threat to the publics safety.
    There are plenty of people that drive well in excess of 100km on the road sometimes I reckon the could be going towards 120.
    On top of this you have them and others staying in the right lane all the way, others lane hoping every few seconds, people not slowing down for the roundabouts and people going in the right lane going straight on.
    My point is that the emphasis is not on trying to curb this, its on the those going 70-75 in the flow of traffic.

Advertisement