Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda checking speed on outer ring road at lunchtime today

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Agreed. Thiose that stay in the right lane at all times should be shot. And staying in the right lane when going straight at a roundabout is dangerous also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭wellbutty

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    And staying in the right lane when going straight at a roundabout is dangerous also.

This is how almost every dual-carriageway approaching a roundabout in Europe works. It's the City Council putting white right-only arrows on the road is what's making it dangerous

• Registered Users Posts: 35 gardatrafficop

razor_ryan wrote: »
    A few months ago I saw a classic example of Robocop on the New Stretch of Ballygunner Road parked in Someones Drive with his Speed Gun No Vis Jacket on he caught about 8 people within about 2 hours I live across from where he was parked it was the light blue/silver Mondeo very snakey

i have a better one i know where a gatso van was parked up in a 50km zone for 4 hrs. nabbed 368 people in that lenght of time,:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭martydunf

Keea wrote: »
    Just wondering did any of you see the guard checking speed on the outer ring road at lunch time today. I was driving towards the cork road and he was standing on the centre of the road as you approach the last roundabout before the cork road (I think its called the ballycashin roundabout). He had something on a tripod - dunno if it was a camera but looked like he was checking speed. I never saw him until I got to the roundabout. I was probably doing 70 - 75 kmph approaching the roundabout. Does anyone know if this could be a camera taking pictures and I might get a fine in the post? I thought the guard would normally stop you on the road if you were going to get a fine. He didn't even glance in my direction as I approached. What do you think?

Some pr1cks for clocking on that road. How can you be expected to stick to 60km/h on a 2 lane road, which should rightly be 100km/h
    Talk about revenue generators!:mad:

martydunf wrote: »
    which should rightly be 100km/h

The reason apparently is no hard shoulder. Why they couldn't include one I will never know. The footpaths are ridiculously wide in parts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

The footpaths are ridiculously wide in parts.

I thought that was for the benefit of the horses?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

wellbutty wrote: »
    This is how almost every dual-carriageway approaching a roundabout in Europe works. It's the City Council putting white right-only arrows on the road is what's making it dangerous

We've been here before I think, but don't local laws supercede the rules of the road? For example, Ardkeen roundabout being changed so that traffic going into town from Viewmount area would use the right lane to go straight left lane for 1st exit only.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

gscully wrote: »
    We've been here before I think, but don't local laws supercede the rules of the road? For example, Ardkeen roundabout being changed so that traffic going into town from Viewmount area would use the right lane to go straight left lane for 1st exit only.

Yup

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

I was actually drivin out the road one day and i could not believe it when i saw a man running on the road against me!!! i was driving from the ballinamona roundabout to the tramore one...i was flabbergasted what would posses someone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

jayboi wrote: »
    I was actually drivin out the road one day and i could not believe it when i saw a man running on the road against me!!! i was driving from the ballinamona roundabout to the tramore one...i was flabbergasted what would posses someone

Most runners prefer to run on tarmac than on reinforced concrete paths as there's more give. Also, as a safety rule you should run or walk against traffic.

That said, I agree that what you saw was borderline madness and not the norm for that stretch of road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭martin12

Just passed the Whitfield Clinic about 15 minutes ago and there was the Famous Robocop pulling someone over in the Unmarked Mondeo he's really on a Roll this week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 251 ✭✭Deisekickboxing

looks a bit like mayor halligan with long hair .......

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭martin12

Just going home from work 6pm and noticed the unmarked silver/light blue mondeo parked in at Bolands Bmw Showrooms but no one in the car might be behind a wall with that speed gun beware

• Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

martin12 wrote: »
    Just going home from work 6pm and noticed the unmarked silver/light blue mondeo parked in at Bolands Bmw Showrooms but no one in the car might be behind a wall with that speed gun beware

Absolutely disgusting. You think he would go and do a real job.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭livvy

Finnbar01 wrote: »
    +1 what next? I actually saw a postman delivering letters the other day. These fellas in uniform doing what they are paid - terrible really.

Might be behind the wall means that he is behind the wall? Goodness me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

livvy wrote: »
    +1 what next? I actually saw a postman delivering letters the other day. These fellas in uniform doing what they are paid - terrible really.

Load of balls to be fair. The idea behind speed checks should be that they discourage people from breaking the speed limit in situations where it would be most dangerous. Clocking someone at 70 km/h on the ORR etc does not do this. All it does is further turn public sentiment agaisnt the way the Gardaí operate in this country.

nkay1985 wrote: »
    Clocking someone at 70 km/h on the ORR etc does not do this.

It will however stop the morons in the Honda Civics going twice the speed limit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Yeah, those feckin public sector workers!!!

Not only do they expect to be paid, but they expect to do their work too!!!

If speeding was our nbr 1 killer on our roads I'd see your point. All that this cop is doing is generating taxes for the government. Don't we have enough of those already?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

What I would like to know is

1.) why are the gardai devoting so much Garda time to the ORR when there has never been a fatality on this road?
    2.) Surely they have roads that are a higher accident risk to police
    3.) they're argument that they don't have enough gardai on the beat should be shown for what it is - a whinge - they could easily re-allocate resourcces such as this time-water/Tax-collecter to the beat to stop criminals - Isn't that the reason I pay my taxes

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭martydunf

Bards wrote: »

1.) why are the gardai devoting so much Garda time to the ORR when there has never been a fatality on this road?
    3.) they're argument that they don't have enough gardai on the beat should be shown for what it is - a whinge - they could easily re-allocate resourcces such as this time-water/Tax-collecter to the beat to stop criminals - Isn't that the reason I pay my taxes

Spot on

+1. Garda complaining about lack of resources and then go and carry out pointless exercises like this. What a waste of resources!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭Plastikman_eire

Perhaps there has never been a fatality on the ORR because the gardi devote so much time to policing it?

+1. Garda complaining about lack of resources and then go and carry out pointless exercises like this. What a waste of resources!

How else would you propose they enforce traffic laws?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Perhaps there has never been a fatality on the ORR because the gardi devote so much time to policing it?

Don't be so ridiculous.

nkay1985 wrote: »
    Don't be so ridiculous.

What part of my post strikes you as ridiculous?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

I thought there was already a bad crash or 2 on the outter ring road?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Stokolan wrote: »
    I thought there was already a bad crash or 2 on the outter ring road?

Nothing serious afaik. The road is built for a faster speed anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

While the road is fairly safe, but do we really want people doing 100km/h when approaching the 7 roundabouts on the road.

The speed limit approaching the roundabouts should be about 60km/h, so that would only leave short stretches for a higher speed limit. Also a 60km/h limit is needed near the turn off for the golf course and halting site.

Advertisement