Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda checking speed on outer ring road at lunchtime today

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

dayshah wrote: »
    While the road is fairly safe, but do we really want people doing 100km/h when approaching the 7 roundabouts on the road.

Nobody suggested 100km/hr but at the same time it works fine in Kilkenny..
    The speed limit approaching the roundabouts should be about 60km/h, so that would only leave short stretches for a higher speed limit. Also a 60km/h limit is needed near the turn off for the golf course and halting site.

I think people have common enough sense not to hit a roundabout at 100km/hr - you generally slow below the speed limit on roundabouts anyway. Again, works in Kilkenny and similar layout.

Turn of for the Golf Course is on the left "slow" lane so the faster traffic can pass out the driver intending to go slower because s/he wishes to take the next exit. Though, it should have an extra slip road in and out like a motorway. Similar with halting site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

What part of my post strikes you as ridiculous?

Well it was only one sentence so the whole thing. Of course it's ridiculous to suggest that the only reason there hasn't been a serious accident there is because the guards are doing speed checks. If you're taking that view, then how do you explain all the other roads around the entire city where there aren't speed checks but still aren't accidents?

That is a good road with two lanes in each direction; the chances for an accident are very slim. I'd much rather have the guards, who are paid for by my tax, doing speed checks on roads that are actually dangerous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭Plastikman_eire

nkay1985 wrote: »
    Well it was only one sentence so the whole thing. Of course it's ridiculous to suggest that the only reason there hasn't been a serious accident there is because the guards are doing speed checks. If you're taking that view, then how do you explain all the other roads around the entire city where there aren't speed checks but still aren't accidents?

That is a good road with two lanes in each direction; the chances for an accident are very slim. I'd much rather have the guards, who are paid for by my tax, doing speed checks on roads that are actually dangerous.

Due to the fact that the ORR is such a good road with two lanes, the tempation to speed on it is high. The cops regular presence on the it acts a deterant for when they arent actually policing it.

Do you think that road would have seen as few accidents as it has if drivers could speed along it with impunity, safe in the knowledge that they wouldnt get stopped?

I feel the speed limit should be increased on it, but I dont think the gardai pressence should be reduced.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Due to the fact that the ORR is such a good road with two lanes, the tempation to speed on it is high. The cops regular presence on the it acts a deterant for when they arent actually policing it.

The guards are not that frequent visitors to that road. They do make a presence but I can assure you most people speed (the Guards did their own survey on this) knowing the possibility the guards may be in a ditch somewhere. Its a risk people take on all roads around Ireland, even where the speed limits are safe.

The road was built for the speed drivers are averaging at anyway.
    Do you think that road would have seen as few accidents as it has if drivers could speed along it with impunity, safe in the knowledge that they wouldnt get stopped?

Yes. After all, the guards would not be there if they were not catching anybody. So, its clear people are breaking the speed limit the fact they are there somewhat and of course their own survey backs it up.

Plus, using your line of thinking, a lot of our roads would be safe and accident free because of the regular speed checks we see. Clearly, thats not the case.
    I feel the speed limit should be increased on it, but I dont think the gardai pressence should be reduced.

Well, people think its pathetic that the road has a limit below its design and a road thats perfectly capable of doing it (again, survey done on this). People are annoyed at getting points and fines for going even a small few mph over the limit.

Not to mention back roads with a much greater limit but much worse conditions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

Isn't this thread a carbon copy of one from a couple of months ago?

In that I seem to remember that someone said that the road was designed for 70kph but as that limit can't be applied the lower one of 60kph was used. Also, it's anticipated that the ORR will become the outer edge of the City's growth and the limit was appropriate for an intra-urban dual carriageway.

SSE

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Sully wrote: »
    Nobody suggested 100km/hr but at the same time it works fine in Kilkenny..

I think people have common enough sense not to hit a roundabout at 100km/hr - you generally slow below the speed limit on roundabouts anyway. Again, works in Kilkenny and similar layout.

Turn of for the Golf Course is on the left "slow" lane so the faster traffic can pass out the driver intending to go slower because s/he wishes to take the next exit. Though, it should have an extra slip road in and out like a motorway. Similar with halting site.

Fair enough about the slow lane for the turn offs, but we can't leave it to common sense for speed limits. Then there would be no speed limits at all.

About the longest stretch without a roundabout is only 1km. Suppose we keep a 60km/h limit on the 100m approaching the roundabout, and it takes 100 metres after the roundabout to accelerate past 60km/h. That leaves a stretch of 800m. At 60km/h it would take 48 seconds to do 800m. At 80km/h, 36 seconds. Thats a 12 second difference.

Someone using the road will at most pass 5 or 6 of these stretches (most less than 1km), meaning switching from 60km/h to 80km/h would save 60 seconds for someone using the road.

Is it worth changing the signs for the sake of 60 seconds?

Also if we allow 80km/h some people will do 100km/h

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Creamsoda

Fair enough about the slow lane for the turn offs, but we can't leave it to common sense for speed limits. Then there would be no speed limits at all.

About the longest stretch without a roundabout is only 1km. Suppose we keep a 60km/h limit on the 100m approaching the roundabout, and it takes 100 metres after the roundabout to accelerate past 60km/h. That leaves a stretch of 800m. At 60km/h it would take 48 seconds to do 800m. At 80km/h, 36 seconds. Thats a 12 second difference.

Someone using the road will at most pass 5 or 6 of these stretches (most less than 1km), meaning switching from 60km/h to 80km/h would save 60 seconds for someone using the road.

Is it worth changing the signs for the sake of 60 seconds?

Also if we allow 80km/h some people will do 100km/h

It may just save 60 seconds but if your travelling that road to and from work every day that's 2 mins a day that's over 12hours a year. I'd rather have those extra 12 hours and no points on my licence.

Creamsoda wrote: »
    It may just save 60 seconds but if your travelling that road to and from work every day that's 2 mins a day that's over 12hours a year. I'd rather have those extra 12 hours and no points on my licence.

How busy is it when you drive? My estimate was based on there being no other traffic, so a change might only save you 6 hours a year.

If the average person lives 660,000, and has 330,000 hours of life left if they are killed on that road, 55000 people would have to make that journey every year to justify letting someone die on that road. And that of course isn't including the pain and suffering to family, or the effects of non-lethal crashes.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 gardatrafficop

one cant blame the gardai that you see doing these speed checks for where the speed checks are positioned we are assigned to do the checks in that location by highter Rank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭saltandpepper10

one cant blame the gardai that you see doing these speed checks for where the speed checks are positioned we are assigned to do the checks in that location by highter comand.
    in touch with god are ye

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

So if speed checks are a regular way of preventing crime, why the f*ck don't they patrol estates more often, or be more proactive in the community where relations seem to be breaking down, oh that's it, I remember now, they are too f*ckin busy doing speedchecks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

one cant blame the gardai that you see doing these speed checks for where the speed checks are positioned we are assigned to do the checks in that location by highter Rank.

I don't think that anyone was suggesting that it's the rank and file guards that are at fault for this stupidity but to the public it's all one group and the traffic cop standing there with the speed gun is the face of that organisation.

May I ask who decides these locations? How often would there be a traffic cop doing speed checks in Waterford? Out of all those times, how often would these checks be done on a windy country road with an 80 km/h speed limit as opposed to the likes of the Williamstown Road or Outer Ring Road? If you can't answer those questions, who would be able to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

please remind the higher authorities that the general public/taxpayer which they are supposed to serve - detest these speed check on perfectly safe roads, while at the same time ignoring our increaasing crime rate.

You should remind them it is the taxpayer who pays their wage, and if the govt goes ahead with public spending cuts to Garda's salary. the public are not going to look sympatetically on their case as heretofore, and may in fact welcome the cuts, never mind being cooperative with the Garda in future efforts etc.

the old saying of don't "Burn your bridges" comes to mind

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭wellbutty

I'm not buying this "road was designed for 60km/h" story, if that's the case, does the fact that the average speed is 70 mean the surface will break up soon?

The road around New Ross has a 100km/h speed limit, with left and right turns and no slip lanes. Why cant our road have 80? Because they think Waterford drivers are too stupid to brake when they see a roundabout? Quite simply it's a money-making initiative to implement a speed limit that will cater for safe access/egress to and from developments that may never take place.

wellbutty wrote: »
    I'm not buying this "road was designed for 60km/h" story, if that's the case, does the fact that the average speed is 70 mean the surface will break up soon?

The road around New Ross has a 100km/h speed limit, with left and right turns and no slip lanes. Why cant our road have 80? Because they think Waterford drivers are too stupid to brake when they see a roundabout? Quite simply it's a money-making initiative to implement a speed limit that will cater for safe access/egress to and from developments that may never take place.

Does the road around New Ross have pedestrian crossings?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭wellbutty

Does the road around New Ross have pedestrian crossings?

No and neither does the Outer Ring Road.

People may cross at roundabouts on the ORR but even if we had Autobahn speed limits on it, pedestrian crossings wouldn't be relevant. A car that goes into a roundabout any faster than 60km/h will most likely be going offroad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

At what stage can we expect those in higher rank to position you at the top of the Folly to nab all the smart cnuts who continue to turn right (towards Otterans) well after the green light has come on for those on the Grange / Johns Hill road? Every day I sit in traffic there and marvel at the gall of them - some of them smiling away while looking in their rear-view mirrors. They'd just gotten away with it again.

Next time, I'm putting my foot down on the 'G' of green and they can either stop, or feel my bull-bar!

:mad::mad::mad:

gscully wrote: »
    At what stage can we expect those in higher rank to position you at the top of the Folly to nab all the smart cnuts who continue to turn right (towards Otterans) well after the green light has come on for those on the Grange / Johns Hill road? Every day I sit in traffic there and marvel at the gall of them - some of them smiling away while looking in their rear-view mirrors. They'd just gotten away with it again.

Next time, I'm putting my foot down on the 'G' of green and they can either stop, or feel my bull-bar!

:mad::mad::mad:

To the gardai's credit, I have seen them several times manning check points outside St Ann's tennis club.

Sully wrote: »

Plus, using your line of thinking, a lot of our roads would be safe and accident free because of the regular speed checks we see. Clearly, thats not the case.

No of course not, there are far too many moron's using our roads to completely prevent accidents. That isnt to say that we wouldnt be in a far worse situation if the guards werent performing speed checks.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭skodacb

I may get a rollicking off users on this, but I speed, we all speed who doesn't, does anyone do 30mph around town, no average is 35, same with the ORR, 40mph, ok yes some do stick to it, but most don't, my average is 50-60mph, the stupid ideas people come up with that you cant do that sort of speed on it, of course you can you can go a lot faster in fact, i wont mention figures but more than motorway speed on alot of it, fact of the matter is the road and its stupid limit was for money and nothing more, oh by the way if anyone has not noticed this, all the way goin from the B&Q out to join the city bypass its 40mph but coming in from the bypass to the roundabout of the old kilmeaden rd its 50mph, now isnt that strange and the same on the r680 going out of the city 50mph, but comin in from the sweep its 60mph....stupid country i think so....and one last thing too gatso van often down near the clock tower, if you ever see the indicators flash, you have been caught

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭honeybadger

are you a waterford traffic core garda by any chance garda traffic cop :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

skodacb wrote: »
    I may get a rollicking off users on this, but I speed, we all speed who doesn't, does anyone do 30mph around town, no average is 35, same with the ORR, 40mph, ok yes some do stick to it, but most don't, my average is 50-60mph, the stupid ideas people come up with that you cant do that sort of speed on it, of course you can you can go a lot faster in fact, i wont mention figures but more than motorway speed on alot of it, fact of the matter is the road and its stupid limit was for money and nothing more, oh by the way if anyone has not noticed this, all the way goin from the B&Q out to join the city bypass its 40mph but coming in from the bypass to the roundabout of the old kilmeaden rd its 50mph, now isnt that strange and the same on the r680 going out of the city 50mph, but comin in from the sweep its 60mph....stupid country i think so....and one last thing too gatso van often down near the clock tower, if you ever see the indicators flash, you have been caught

You speed? Faster than motorway limits? In a SKODA?

Pull the other one!

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭skodacb

gscully wrote: »
    You speed? Faster than motorway limits? In a SKODA?

Pull the other one!

Obviously a member of the old generation, and clearly not with the times at all:p

skodacb wrote: »
    Obviously a member of the old generation, and clearly not with the times at all:p

Way off topic, but Skoda is actually the Czech for 'its a pity', or 'its a shame'. You might shout it if someone is about to score a goal but just misses.

Nice cars though, and they were probably the best of the Communist cars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

they have one lane blocked between the tramore road and airport road roundabouts now.
    two cop cars and a cop bike, it seemed a bit much for checking tax and insurance.

longshanks wrote: »
    they have one lane blocked between the tramore road and airport road roundabouts now.
    two cop cars and a cop bike, it seemed a bit much for checking tax and insurance.

Its due to the type of road that it is and offending cars are pulled into the corned area.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 gardatrafficop

are you a waterford traffic core garda by any chance garda traffic cop :)

i may or may not be

i may or may not be

Assume you have seen the Emergency Services forum where many other Gardai float about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 251 ✭✭Deisekickboxing

pretty buzie last evening hidden half way out the new bumpy stretch of tramore road after superquinn and also on the roundabout on the old section saw a car getting pulled in each trap must be some big revenue push on has the price of donughts has gone up or sumthin..........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭hellfireie

seen two check points yesterday, one on the old tramore road part of the ORR and the other one was on the new part of the tramore main road , two check point less then 1Km apart. the ORR is some cash cow for the powers to be. there was on on the johns park to old tramore road saturday and 8ish too. talking overkill!!!

Advertisement