Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda checking speed on outer ring road at lunchtime today

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

hellfireie wrote: »
    seen two check points yesterday, one on the old tramore road part of the ORR and the other one was on the new part of the tramore main road , two check point less then 1Km apart. the ORR is some cash cow for the powers to be. there was on on the johns park to old tramore road saturday and 8ish too. talking overkill!!!

Yeah and what's worse is that we'll all see stats of 'X amount of people stopped for speeding during the month of May' when the majority of those will be from cash cow locations like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

I can understand if people want to change the speed limit, but I can't get why people are complaining about the laws of this country being enforced.

dayshah wrote: »
    I can understand if people want to change the speed limit, but I can't get why people are complaining about the laws of this country being enforced.

I have a problem with them choosing to enforce the speeding laws on stretches of road where there's less danger to lives than others. The ORR has a speed limit of 60km/h that almost everyone agrees is ludicrous, yet the Gardaí are often out there stopping people for travelling at 65 and 70 km/h. Why aren't they on any of the small roads that lead off from the ORR where the limit is 80 km/h and where travelling at a speed in excess of that is incredibly dangerous. That's my problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

Checking for speed out on the old Killmeaden rd down from the old cattle mart at 7.30pm this evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

nkay1985 wrote: »
    I have a problem with them choosing to enforce the speeding laws on stretches of road where there's less danger to lives than others. The ORR has a speed limit of 60km/h that almost everyone agrees is ludicrous, yet the Gardaí are often out there stopping people for travelling at 65 and 70 km/h. Why aren't they on any of the small roads that lead off from the ORR where the limit is 80 km/h and where travelling at a speed in excess of that is incredibly dangerous. That's my problem.

Merely from the posts above there are appear to be speed checks on the tramore road, the old tramore road and the old kilmeaden road, so it's not just the ORR.

In any case, given the huge recent publicity and seemingly zero tolerance of speeding on the ORR, if you get caught speeding there you'll surely have only yourself to blame.

SSE

• Advertisement

Merely from the posts above there are appear to be speed checks on the tramore road, the old tramore road and the old kilmeaden road, so it's not just the ORR.

In any case, given the huge recent publicity and seemingly zero tolerance of speeding on the ORR, if you get caught speeding there you'll surely have only yourself to blame.

SSE

This thread was started about Gardaí checking speed on the ORR. It's a regular occurance and I feel that any time spent speed checking there instead of other locations that IMO better serve the public interest is time wasted. That's my point. I couldn't give two shits who gets caugth there when they are there. I just don't think it's a good use of Garda resources, at least not form a public safety point of view, which is how they'd present it if challenged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭hellfireie

the snakes where out again yesterday evening at the new building on the old tramore road catching people coming around the bend , they where more of a hazzard to traffic then anything else. there really milking it for the month of may for some reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,687 ✭✭✭✭looksee

pretty buzie last evening hidden half way out the new bumpy stretch of tramore road after superquinn and also on the roundabout on the old section saw a car getting pulled in each trap must be some big revenue push on has the price of donughts has gone up or sumthin..........

OMG I thought they weren't taking that 45 limit seriously - it was more a matter of being able to say - 'you were speeding', if someone came to grief on the temporary surface.

I tend to stick to the 60 because if you do 45 you are creating a greater hazard with all the people who overtake. If 60 is going to get me a ticket I think I might try and get down to the 45. There are two sets of signs though, do the home made ones (45s) take precedence over the official ones?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

looksee wrote: »
    OMG I thought they weren't taking that 45 limit seriously - it was more a matter of being able to say - 'you were speeding', if someone came to grief on the temporary surface.

I tend to stick to the 60 because if you do 45 you are creating a greater hazard with all the people who overtake. If 60 is going to get me a ticket I think I might try and get down to the 45. There are two sets of signs though, do the home made ones (45s) take precedence over the official ones?

Sings with a Black Circle are advisary and are not enforceable (no by-law has been passed) - Only Signs with a red Circle are enforceable in a court of law

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

This is why I now avoid the ORR and speed on the IRR instead.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

hellfireie wrote: »
    , they where more of a hazzard to traffic then anything else.

How are they a hazard?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

dayshah wrote: »
    How are they a hazard?

Slamming on the brakes may interfere with the driving skills of the Nigel Mansells who feel they are above the law.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    The snakes wont bite you if you respect the speed limit. It's not that hard really.

That's all well and good but that road should not have a limit of 60km, at least it should be 80km.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭martin12

Checkpoint at the Six Cross Roads Roundabout seem to be randomly checking for Tax Insurance Nct I got waved on but 2 cars pulled over

Advertisement