Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Does anyone know how to change the country your XBOX live is set up as?

• 11-05-2010 2:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭

I used to live in New Zealand so had my XBOX live login set up there and therefore just played New Zealanders and ozzies but I want to change it to the US so I can take the piss outta some yanks. How do I do this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭TheMooseInNam

I used to live in New Zealand so had my XBOX live login set up there and therefore just played New Zealanders and ozzies but I want to change it to the US so I can take the piss outta some yanks. How do I do this?

Think you do it through your linked windows live account

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 601 ✭✭✭mgsrocks

Actually, I don't think it can be done. It's linked to your windows live ID, and whatever your live ID was when you linked to your gamertag is what its stuck as.

A few years back I had set up my hotmail account as an american to get higher storage space and later linked this account to my gamertag. I didn't use xbox live for the first year so never knew there was a problem until I tried to purchase something in the marketplace and it wouldn't let me. (I would have access tot he US marketplace but it wouldn't met me purchase.

Microsoft never came out with a fix for this and so all you can do is set up a new gamertag and link that to your updated windows live account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,158 ✭✭✭shanec1928

it cant be changed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭steel_spine

You can't. I only realised halfway through signing up that my ancient hotmail acct was registered as being in the UK, and now I'm stuck with it. Can change every other part of my address and details except country.
    Couldn't add my credit card to purchase points etc.
    Phoned xbox support, they didn't know what to do.
    Tried setting up a new msn account linked to ireland and swapping my gamertag to that - no joy. Nothing'll change it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

you can change it ,cant remeber where in your windows live setting..I originally had me from abzerbajan(sp?)as I ahte giving any personal info to anyone just to have a poxy email.Needless to say when I went to use my xbox live code which i had bought on live codes it wouldnt work

• Advertisement

I'm pretty sure StepToe (head of XBL security) announced that this was the case up to recently but they managed to fix the problem.

Follow my link below, sign into windows live and follow the link to "registered information", there you will be able to change your locality settings.

https://account.live.com/SummaryPage.aspx?mkt=en-ie&noteid=Note_Saved&notelevel=1&notesec=0&amrefreshreq=1

QED :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭steel_spine

I'm pretty sure StepToe (head of XBL security) announced that this was the case up to recently but they managed to fix the problem.

Follow my link below, sign into windows live and follow the link to "registered information", there you will be able to change your locality settings.

https://account.live.com/SummaryPage.aspx?mkt=en-ie&noteid=Note_Saved&notelevel=1&notesec=0&amrefreshreq=1

QED :D

See changingt he locale for my windows live account isn't the problem - that's correct. But changing it there where you linked to doesn't alter the details held on xbox live

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 601 ✭✭✭mgsrocks

See changingt he locale for my windows live account isn't the problem - that's correct. But changing it there where you linked to doesn't alter the details held on xbox live

That's because whatever region it was set to originally is what your xbox gamertag is now locked to, and updating it later will make no difference. I've been on to customer support about it and theres nothing they can do (as of last year).

When xbox live first came online people set their region to the states so they could access the American marketplace and download movies/games/tv shows not available in the European marketplace. Microsoft changed this so now your xbox will recognise your location from your IP address but keep you registered to your original location. Meaning you can view the US marketplace but not buy anything.

Only thing to do now is to delete your current gamertag and unlink it with your Windows live ID. Then update windows live to your current location and create a new gamertag. You'll loose your achievements/game saves/Points but the longer you leave it the more you will eventually loose when you change.

mgsrocks wrote: »
    That's because whatever region it was set to originally is what your xbox gamertag is now locked to, and updating it later will make no difference. I've been on to customer support about it and theres nothing they can do (as of last year).

When xbox live first came online people set their region to the states so they could access the American marketplace and download movies/games/tv shows not available in the European marketplace. Microsoft changed this so now your xbox will recognise your location from your IP address but keep you registered to your original location. Meaning you can view the US marketplace but not buy anything.

Only thing to do now is to delete your current gamertag and unlink it with your Windows live ID. Then update windows live to your current location and create a new gamertag. You'll loose your achievements/game saves/Points but the longer you leave it the more you will eventually loose when you change.

Oh right, sorry, didn't quite understand. Email Steptoe or Major Nelson at xbox.com. I think that's their email addresses too. They'll give you the definitive answer or at least point you in the right direction of who'll have a definitive answer for you. Don't forget to tell them how great their podcast is ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,812 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

What happened to my brother in law was a joke.
    He set up an account with a hotmail he made in the states on his irish owned xbox. Got a 3 month xbox live subscription and then used a 2 day free trial.
    Went out and bought a year subscription and it wouldnt work, rang up Microsoft to find out he shouldnt have got on with his american email address in the first place! Had to make a new account

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭greenman09

I was in the same boat. Uk hotmail. Irish xbox. Had to set up silver gamertag to download map packs etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 windwalks

mgsrocks wrote: »

How can i delete my current gametag and unlink it from my windows live ID. If i cant access my xbox with my current gamertag, because it is set on wrong country.

Is it possible to do that via internet? not from xbox... ??

• Registered Users Posts: 29 eskoflip

Can't be done:mad:. I initially used a (.co.uk) address for my Windows Live ID and could ony by MS points using £GBP and had to have a postode. So I call Xbox support 1890 260 260 and was advised to set up a new account with a (.ie) email and i can buy all the stuff on that profile (Except for avatar items) Still use my old account for gaming.

Advertisement