Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lippi names Italian preliminary 30-man squad for the World Cup

• 11-05-2010 2:33pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭

from Football-Italia.net
    Italy boss Marcello Lippi has named a preliminary 30-man squad for the World Cup, which includes Villarreal striker Giuseppe Rossi but ignores Nicola Legrottaglie.

Aside from that, Lippi's squad is exactly the same as the one that gathered at Borghesiana in Rome last week, albeit with the expected addition of Daniele De Rossi who was then engaged in the Coppa Italia.

Goalkeepers: Buffon, Marchetti, De Sanctis, Sirigu

Defenders: Bocchetti, Bonucci, F. Cannavaro, Cassani, Chiellini, Criscito, Grosso, Maggio, Zambrotta

Midfielders: Camoranesi, Candreva, Cossu, De Rossi, Gattuso, Marchisio, Montolivo, Palombo, Pepe, Pirlo

Strikers: Borriello, Di Natale, Gilardino, Iaquinta, Pazzini, G. Rossi, Quagliarella

Who, from there, would make your 23 man squad?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I honestly do not know how he has not picked Marco Storari, he has been immense for Samp.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 319 ✭✭jamsieboy86

I'd have Cassano, Miccoli and Balotelli instead of Gilardino, Iaquinta and Rossi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

At least he didn't pick Amauri

My team would be.

Buffon

RB: Cassani
    LB: Criscito
    CB: Chiellini
    CB: Bocchetti

DM: Di Rossi
    DM: Pirlo

AMR: Pepe
    AML: Di Natale

10: Cossu

09: Gilardino

No way in hell he will play that way though.

I'd have Cassano, Miccoli and Balotelli instead of Gilardino, Iaquinta and Rossi.

I'd have Miccoli too, he's ****ed though, bad injury the other day.

I'd have Gilla as starter and Boriello as his back up though, both have been very good target men this season, I don't think Pazinni will be half as good without Cassano to spoon feed him.

Might be biased, but I'd have Ambrosini ahead of Marchisio any day of the week!

My final squad, from these 30 players would be.

Goalkeepers: Buffon, Marchetti, Sirigu

Defenders: Bocchetti, Bonucci, F. Cannavaro, Cassani, Chiellini, Criscito, Grosso, Zambrotta

Midfielders: Camoranesi, Cossu, De Rossi, Gattuso, Montolivo, Palombo, Pepe, Pirlo

Strikers: Borriello, Di Natale, Gilardino, Quagliarella

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

Cassano is toxic though - despised by the rest of the players and prone to starting fights.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 319 ✭✭jamsieboy86

Cassano is toxic though - despised by the rest of the players and prone to starting fights.

I know that but I'd still bring him, such a good player. Put him and Balotelli in the same room.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

I know that but I'd still bring him, such a good player. Put him and Balotelli in the same room.

Whatever about a squad, it would make a good reality TV programme!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Can we throw Totti into the mix too? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

What an awful squad. It's incredible that Juventus could have eight players in a World Cup squad after a totally pathetic season.

Players who should be there:
    Balotelli
    Perotta
    Cassano
    Santon
    Ambrosini

Players who shouldn't be there
    Gattuso
    Quagiarella
    Camronesi
    Grosso
    Zambrotta

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

Would Totti have had a chance of being included if he didnt nearly kill Balotelli last week!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Totti, Balotelli and Cassano would be toxic in that Italy squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭RichTea

Gillington wrote: »
    Would Totti have had a chance of being included if he didnt nearly kill Balotelli last week!?

Lippi was quite coy on Totti before the kick and then apparently called him the other day to tell him he wasn't going to be in the squad. We'll never know but that's the story of Totti's career in parts.

I have to say, as a long-time follower of Italian football that Lippi's squad is too conservative. That's not entirely surprising though. It would have been nice to see Miccoli in there or someone else who can liven up the team. The 30 man squad he has named seems a bit wooden. There are some very good players in it but it doesn't have an edge or a creative fulcrum.

Players who shouldn't be there

Grosso

As bad as his club form has been, he still seems to always perform well for the national side, so I'd bring him along. It certainly isn't a squad to strike fear into the heart of opponents though.

RichTea wrote: »
    I have to say, as a long-time follower of Italian football that Lippi's squad is too conservative. That's not entirely surprising though. It would have been nice to see Miccoli in there or someone else who can liven up the team. The 30 man squad he has named seems a bit wooden. There are some very good players in it but it doesn't have an edge or a creative fulcrum.

Good post. I don't watch serie A as much as a few on here, but I do follow it regularly enough and would read Gazzetta.it most days, and to me it seems like such a flat team.

I think having someone who could provide a spark would do no harm, even if its off the bench. Personally I have the man-love for Cassano, but Balotelli or even Giovinco, despite his lack of game time, could give a game some real impetus.

What's Cossu like actually? I know Cagliari have been playing well but I haven't actually seen them on too many, if any, occasions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Ballotelli isnt right in the head. Didnt he accuse Totti of being racist when its come out Ballotelli just lied about him calling him something or other?

No Aquilani. Maybe thats a good thing for Liverpool in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭RichTea

carlop wrote: »
    Good post. I don't watch serie A as much as a few on here, but I do follow it regularly enough and would read Gazzetta.it most days, and to me it seems like such a flat team.

I think having someone who could provide a spark would do no harm, even if its off the bench. Personally I have the man-love for Cassano, but Balotelli or even Giovinco, despite his lack of game time, could give a game some real impetus.

What's Cossu like actually? I know Cagliari have been playing well but I haven't actually seen them on too many, if any, occasions.

Cossu is quite good. I'd like to see him in a bigger team than Cagliari, I'm not sure what he can contribute to Italy though. He won't play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Osu wrote: »
    Totti, Balotelli and Cassano would be toxic in that Italy squad.
    Would make for great viewing though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

feel sorry for Aquilani, but its probably for the best re:his long term fitness. it really shows the talent they have in midfield when they can leave such a good player, who's playing very well, behind

Mr Alan wrote: »
    feel sorry for Aquilani, but its probably for the best re:his long term fitness. it really shows the talent they have in midfield when they can leave such a good player, who's playing very well, behind

It also shows what an unfortunate year Aquilani has had, as a year ago there is no doubt he would have made the squad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

My final squad:

Goalkeepers: Buffon, Marchetti, De Sanctis

Defenders: Bocchetti, Bonucci, F. Cannavaro, Cassani, Chiellini, Criscito, Grosso, Zambrotta

Midfielders: Camoranesi, Cossu, De Rossi, Marchisio, Palombo, Pepe, Pirlo

Strikers: Borriello, Di Natale, Gilardino, Iaquinta, Pazzini

My starting 11

Buffon

Zambro Canna Chiellini Grosso

Marchisio Palombo De Rossi

Iaquinta Pazzini Di Natale

I don't know much about alot of that squad but the Italians are always there and abouts so shall be interesting. Is it not a total shock that Totti isn't there or is he an auld fella now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Good stuff Aquilani isn't going!

He'd get injured and miss half the season again, fully fit for the new season please!

That's the old Cassano. He seems to have matured a lot at Sampdoria. And the rest of the players definitely do not despise him.

2299359--346x212.jpg

I don't know much about alot of that squad but the Italians are always there and abouts so shall be interesting. Is it not a total shock that Totti isn't there or is he an auld fella now?

Totti retired from international football. He talked about coming out of retirement but never really made it official.

Serious kick in the teeth for Legrottaglie.

He hasn't been any worse than the likes of Gattuso, Grosso and Cannavaro over the last two seasons. He played a fairly major role in the qualifiers too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,014 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

A locker room cancer can destroy a squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,014 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Holsten wrote: »
    Good stuff Aquilani isn't going!

He'd get injured and miss half the season again, fully fit for the new season please!
    He might be fit, based on his recent run you would think he has to avoid an angry wasp in the summer. He could try to avoid it and pick up a knee/ankle injury. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

carlop wrote: »
    It certainly isn't a squad to strike fear into the heart of opponents though.

Could agrue neither was the 06 one really..but look what happend :D

• Advertisement

The 06 squad was top class. Even if it wasn't recognised as that by a lot of people around here before the tournament.

This squad, in comparison, is rubbish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

Both Grosso and Candreva dropped from the prelim squad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭AIR-AUSSIE

RichTea wrote: »
    Lippi was quite coy on Totti before the kick and then apparently called him the other day to tell him he wasn't going to be in the squad. We'll never know but that's the story of Totti's career in parts.

I think he has gone for his old reliables without really thinking how they've performed this season. 7 players from Juventus would tend towards this conclusion. He trusts those players. I think they may struggle...

Tottis kick was a beaut though, ran a 30 yards to get him. Guess he's not a fan of Ballotelli similar to my own clubs supporters who have given him some amount of abuse down the years.

video

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Grosso the hero from 2006 dropped. He has been poor the last 2 seasons but still suprised as Lippi likes trusting the old heads.

Grosso was actually decent in the qualifiers aswell.

Advertisement