Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

advice for moving near ucd

Options
  • 11-05-2010 2:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Im starting UCD in september and need to move out but I only need to move there for September- January. Anyone any advice on finding a place?
    Also can anyone give me an idea of how much rent/ bills should be on average?
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Pandoras Twist

Rent can be 350-500 depending on the proximity and quality

If you're staying outside of walking distance I would advise you to get somewhere along the 46a bus route, around stillorgan etc.

Don't stay anywhere that you have to rely on the 17. Disastrous bus!

Best option is www.daft.ie really

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

The 17 is not disastrous. If you time it correctly it's actually very reliable. That said living on the 46a route would be better as it'll get you into town as well as to UCD

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Pandoras Twist

If youre in UCD past 7 o clock theres like one bus an hour to bring you home.

I live quite close to where it begins and it never leaves on time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 terri24

thanks guys :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

The 17 is not disastrous. If you time it correctly it's actually very reliable.

I left the bar 20 minutes before the last 17 was due, I get to the stop, say to the guy with me, grand 15 minutes to go, turn around, see the fúcking 17 coming towards the stop.

Reliable my hole, there's a timetable for a reason!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,410 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Fad wrote: »
    I left the bar 20 minutes before the last 17 was due, I get to the stop, say to the guy with me, grand 15 minutes to go, turn around, see the fúcking 17 coming towards the stop.

Reliable my hole, there's a timetable for a reason!

Does the table not say what time it departs from its starting location though? Rather than what time it would get to UCD?

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Zuffer

noodler wrote: »
    Does the table not say what time it departs from its starting location though? Rather than what time it would get to UCD?
    17 is one of those buses which has both. It lists what time you can expect the bus to be at certain points along the route as well as departure times. So previous poster was reading the timetable correctly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Chamberlin

There's different entrances to UCD and depending on what part of the college you'll be having classes in some areas will be better than others as UCD is pretty big!

www.daft.ie is the best website and there's maps to help you see where the property is in relation to the college. Also when you ring to enquire about a place ask how long it will take to get to UCD and then add on 5 mins, people always 'exagerate'! :)

Some people in my class actually got single rooms for 300eur per month! The rooms were small but its cheap and they were close to college! you can pay anything up to 500 if your looking for a double.

Clonskeagh is beside the college and within walking distance, so is Booterstown and ya anything along the Stillorgan dual carriage way is good.

If your moving out in Jan there's no need to say anything as you can just give 28 days notice before you go and your entitled to your full deposit back.

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭rantyface

If you can cycle it gives you a lot more freedom. The best part of south Dublin imo is Rathmines, a 15 minute cycle mostly in cycle lanes, 40 minute walk from UCD. There's no bus unfortunately. It's also 20 min walking distance from Grafton St, has nice grand old buildings, is slightly bohemian and has Lidl and Aldi. With no buses on weeknights anymore it's handy living walking distance from town so you don't have to pay for taxis all the time. It's cheaper than places closer to UCD.

I think if you're moving to Dublin you might as well actually experience real Dublin and not live in a sh!tty ugly boring suburb like Dundrum or Stillorgan. You'll like it much more. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭upmeath

If youre in UCD past 7 o clock theres like one bus an hour to bring you home.

I live quite close to where it begins and it never leaves on time.

There is one bus, or there is like one bus? :rolleyes:

OP, there's great value on accommodation in Donnybrook, Milltown, Ranelagh. I lived in Donnybrook for 2nd and 3rd year, the rent was less than €400 per month, and that's when the rent market was flourishing. I've since moved into town but only because my housemates were graduating and I had mates with a spare room in town. Donnybrook is wedged between UCD and town meaning the commute to college/walk or taxi home on nights out is never too much. Well served by buses too - you'll rarely have to wait more than 5 minutes for a 10, 46X or 145 bus to pass, even on weekends they're pretty frequent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 MUSIC_GENIUS

WELL I HAVE 3 DOUBLE ROOMS AVAILABLE AND THEY ARE 370 EURO EACH PER MONTH AND 145 STOPS OUTSIDE THE PRIVATE ESTATE AND THAT GOES STR8 TO UCD..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 terri24

Music genius, where is the house?

ITS NEXT TO ARDMORE FILM STUDIOS ON HERBERT ROAD BRAY THE 145 GETS TO UCD IN LIKE 20MINS AND THE HOUSE IS PERFECT AND AREA IS GRAND.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

HAVE YOU USED THE INTERNET BEFORE?

There's no need to shout!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

WHAT?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

WELL I HAVE 3 DOUBLE ROOMS AVAILABLE AND THEY ARE 370 EURO EACH PER MONTH AND 145 STOPS OUTSIDE THE PRIVATE ESTATE AND THAT GOES STR8 TO UCD..

Have you read the forum charter?

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Jack Bracken

1 - it takes about 30 minutes from Shankill into UCD on the 145, and longer in traffic.
    2 - if I recall correctly Ardmore studios is about half a kilometre from the 145 stop (although it's been a long time since I walked down Herbert road).

EDIT: My 100th post squandered. :(

YOU ARE A WEIRDO! WHATS WITH THE ATTITUDE!
    IF I HAVE CAP LOCKS ON ITS NOT YOUR PROBLEM. GET A LIFE!

HEY JACK , YEA IT TAKES ABOUT 30MINS BUT ITS GRAND THE BUS HAS THE BUS LANE NOT LIKE ITS IN TRAFFIC JUST AT SHANKHILL YOU GET A BIT OF TRAFFIC..
    I DRIVE SO I DONT USE THE BUS LIKE I FLY TO UCD IN NO TIME..
    BUT ITS HANDY AND THE BUS STOP IS RIGHT AT THE ENTRANCE TO MY ESTATE. 45A ,145 BUS

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭rantyface

YOU ARE A WEIRDO! WHATS WITH THE ATTITUDE!
    IF I HAVE CAP LOCKS ON ITS NOT YOUR PROBLEM. GET A LIFE!

Calling people weirdos and telling them to get a life isn't exactly advertising living with you and loads of other people, in a boring part of Dublin ages from UCD and the city.

I can't imagine anything worse!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

OP look in Ranelagh, Rathmines, Donnybrook, Stillorgan, etc... you can get a pretty cheap enough place that's within 10-15 minutes of UCD.

Advertisement