Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBS going Live in my area next friday..

Options
  • 11-05-2010 2:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭

Hi all boarders,
    The NBS service is going live in my home village next friday . I am living 1km away from cell with a clear line of site to it. I hope to be able to play some games online with it on my ps3. Its the only option available here atm other than satillite bb; which has extremely high latency im told.

Any heads up advice for going online with the ps3?
    thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 659 ✭✭✭ToadVine

I don't have any specific advice about the PS3, but I hope you have better luck than I've had with the NBS.

I've had it about 3 weeks now and have experienced very poor speeds, constant disconnection, mi-fi that wont work, huge problems with 3 tech support, and a variety of other problems. I have not been able to get online since last Thursday (this is posted from work). I had a ping last week of over 7000ms btw ...

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭hjr

Hi LakesKeane,

Just wondering how you know its gonna be live next Friday? I currently have the dongle in my area and its ok so far, but I know our area isn't fully live yet as the lady in the shop told me. Its due to live in the next two months she thought, but would love a more concrete date, as I need to get a windowbox to boost the signal within the house, and I can't get one of those without the area being live.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭GEasy

hjr wrote: »
    Hi LakesKeane,

Just wondering how you know its gonna be live next Friday? I currently have the dongle in my area and its ok so far, but I know our area isn't fully live yet as the lady in the shop told me. Its due to live in the next two months she thought, but would love a more concrete date, as I need to get a windowbox to boost the signal within the house, and I can't get one of those without the area being live.

Thanks

I've found out over the past few months that there isn't much 'concrete' with 3 and its the same here i'm afraid. The only reason I 'know' that it is going live next friday is because I was speaking to one of my friends who was heavily involved in campagning to get the service up and running as soon as possible. He said that it would be switched on Friday. Also over the past few weeks I could see workers erecting a cell and a communications cabin at its base.
    There is no mention of the area going live on the 3 website; as far as i can tell the map hasn't been upgraded in the past 5 months.

I have continuously sent emails to 3 through their website but haven't got a reply to state when the service would be going live.

Anybody know of a site which would have the go live dates?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

To use it on a PS3, you're going to need to get a router. Even then, it'll likely be poor for gaming. Latency is a big issue with 3G, so expect your pings to be 120ms at best, typically 200-300ms, and possible a lot poorer. Expect frequent disconnects and lots of lag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

jor el wrote: »
    To use it on a PS3, you're going to need to get a router. Even then, it'll likely be poor for gaming. Latency is a big issue with 3G, so expect your pings to be 120ms at best, typically 200-300ms, and possible a lot poorer. Expect frequent disconnects and lots of lag.

And the fact that You share a public ip address with hundreds of others, it won't work well, if at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭gn3dr

Yes I have the same problem as you. Have emailed them re dates and not a single response. SO I called them and they couldn't tell me when my area woudl be scheduled even though it is a NBS area marked in red on their map.

Got a flyer in the door last week saying it was coming - but so is Christmas!

LakesKeane wrote: »
    I've found out over the past few months that there isn't much 'concrete' with 3 and its the same here i'm afraid. The only reason I 'know' that it is going live next friday is because I was speaking to one of my friends who was heavily involved in campagning to get the service up and running as soon as possible. He said that it would be switched on Friday. Also over the past few weeks I could see workers erecting a cell and a communications cabin at its base.
    There is no mention of the area going live on the 3 website; as far as i can tell the map hasn't been upgraded in the past 5 months.

I have continuously sent emails to 3 through their website but haven't got a reply to state when the service would be going live.

Anybody know of a site which would have the go live dates?

gn3dr wrote: »
    Yes I have the same problem as you. Have emailed them re dates and not a single response. SO I called them and they couldn't tell me when my area woudl be scheduled even though it is a NBS area marked in red on their map.

Got a flyer in the door last week saying it was coming - but so is Christmas!

Ya. That map is near on useless. I know for a fact some regions have gone live but are still marked red on the map - they should be green according to the legend. :(

UPDATE: The service actually went live on the 12th of this month. No local advertisments from 3 apart from a small letter in local shop. You'd think they'd want people to sign up for it:rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Probably because most people qualify for satellite...being too far from the mast to get the minimum speed of 1.2mbit now and 1.6mbit from 1st July

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

UPDATE: The service actually went live on the 12th of this month. No local advertisments from 3 apart from a small letter in local shop. You'd think they'd want people to sign up for it:rolleyes:

Really they only want phone customers. They can't hardly make money out of Data customers unless the price goes up and Cap down. 3G/HSPA customers are not subsidised by NBS. 3 get some money for enabling the Mast and subsidy for Satellite customers (but since the Sat service their sat pricing was based on doesn't exist, they may lose on Sat customers).

They lose a lot on sat customers, they can only charge €49 install and €20 a month.

ex vat that is €42+(€17x12) or €250 in year one and €204 in subsequent years. How much is a Eutelset Ka band CPE + Dish + Competent Installer nowadays ???? €500 I reckon....2 years revenue. With the 10down and 1 up cap sub they pay eutelsat around €40 or €50 a month thereafter and can only charge €17 for it themselves. €23 amonth difference.

• Advertisement

watty wrote: »
    Really they only want phone customers. They can't hardly make money out of Data customers unless the price goes up and Cap down. 3G/HSPA customers are not subsidised by NBS. 3 get some money for enabling the Mast and subsidy for Satellite customers (but since the Sat service their sat pricing was based on doesn't exist, they may lose on Sat customers).

Unlucky for them so since they have to increase the data usage to 25gb pm in July ! although judging by some of the speeds some people quote here it might take 2months to dl that much data!

But... that would make a loaded cell be 2.5 times slower!

Also on their contract (and most people in NBS areas sign a normal 3 Mobile contract) they are reducing cap from 12 down +3 up or 15, downto 10Gbyte

But... that would make a loaded cell be 2.5 times slower!

Also on their contract (and most people in NBS areas sign a normal 3 Mobile contract) they are reducing cap from 12 down +3 up or 15, downto 10Gbyte

As far as I know most people dont sign a normal 3 mobile contract for the NBS. Going through their website you pick either rural or urban area. Clicking on rural will get you an NBS contract for €20 p/m with 15GB data allowance. Dont see why anyone would want a normal 3 mobile contract. You cannot get an NBS contract if your not in an NBS area. You can get a "normal 3 mobile " contract though. why you'd want to do that is beyond me apart from its cheaper p/m but the data cap is going to be lowered and would make it unsuitable for any sort of daily use.

Data cap is going to be extended under the NBS contract. Is that not what you'd want from a provider?

Enlighten me!

Ah on their web site.

Have you looked at what people get in a shop?

You can't break laws of Physics and Mathematics. As more people are added it gets slower. If they increase the cap it will be slower.

Also what happens when the NBS ends or the end of your 1st year on NBS?

Also anyone using a 3 phone in NBS areas is using the Masts. Three have ONLY a 3G licence (terms on Comreg site). They have NO NBS masts on basis of their licence. Only 3G masts that any 3 customer MUST be allowed to use on same basis as any other 3 mast. There is no "NBS licence". Only subsidy of a Mobile Phone company rollout by the Taxpayer to provide a service which can never be broadband and is technically identical to 3's Mobile Phone service anywhere unless you get satellite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Also you do not get a NBS contract from a shop.

If people don't have Internet, they for sure can't get it online.

It will be interesting to see what the minimum speed and also Cap is in NBS areas come August.

Haddockman wrote: »

This is mis selling and a serious ground for complaint. It should be fairly obvious from your address whether you are in an NBS area or not and you should be sold the NBS package if so,

You should also be warned what will happen if you use the NBS 'sim and dongle pair' outside an NBS area, eg if you go to college outside an NBS area.

Haddockman wrote: »

A 3 shop in Galway were going to sell me an NBS contract last Friday but for the fact the coverage map had not been updated. Only for that they would've sold it to me there and then . They said just to call back when the map is updated .

This area here is enabled as fair as NBS are concerned. A trip to my local shop indicates they know nothing about NBS and they are still selling standard deals. They say you must get NBS direct from 3.

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    This is mis selling and a serious ground for complaint. It should be fairly obvious from your address whether you are in an NBS area or not and you should be sold the NBS package if so,

You should also be warned what will happen if you use the NBS 'sim and dongle pair' outside an NBS area, eg if you go to college outside an NBS area.
    Oh? Are there penalties for moving a NBS dongle?

• Advertisement

So how many 3 users using 3G (not satellite) in NBS areas have a written contract that is any different from a 3 Contract in a non-NBS area?

Also 3's 3G licence AFAIK doesn't allow them to discrimate per mast to retail customers. It's on Comreg's web site.

A 3 shop in Galway were going to sell me an NBS contract last Friday but for the fact the coverage map had not been updated. Only for that they would've sold it to me there and then . They said just to call back when the map is updated .

That's what they should do, did they themselves think you were in an NBS area or did you tell them but they could not confirm it off the map ??? IE did they offer or did you insist ??

3 recently got permission for a number of masts in Galway that will be erected over the coming months so that map will be fairly dynamic over the summer.

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    That's what they should do, did they themselves think you were in an NBS area or did you tell them but they could not confirm it off the map ??? IE did they offer or did you insist ??

3 recently got permission for a number of masts in Galway that will be erected over the coming months so that map will be fairly dynamic over the summer.

I didn't have to insist as such. I just told them that I was in an NBS area. They went onto their own website as anyone else could do and used the coverage checker for the NBS scheme and clicked on my house.

http://www.three.ie/contractstore/shop/flow/BroadbandCoverageCheck.aspx

It returned that the area wasn't live (Even though it is), told me to wait until the map was updated then come back again in a few days OR go directly through the website when it is updated or ring 1913 for a sale.

This happened in a 3 store AND the Carphone Warehouse.
    It seemed they had no problem selling me an NBS contract. Maybe if I didnt mention NBS to them though they would've jst sold me a "normal" mobile broadband contract - I doubt it though, would it not be protocol to ask a few questions like where do you live? to check for coverage etc

LOL! Protocol me arse!

I would love to see one of these mythical NBS contracts to see how they differ from regular mobile broadband contracts if at all.

I had a poke around their site and no where does it indicate any different terms and conditions for NBS customers. It keeps saying that you are bound by 3's standard terms and conditions. You can even get NBS on a rolling 30 day contract if you already have a dongle. And they will fit the repeater free of charge! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Isn't the only real difference that NBS is supposed to guarantee 1.2Mbps minimum? There is no minimum speed guarantee with a regular 3G product from Three (or any other provider). Of course, this is all pointless anyway, as there is no way to guarantee that speed, but it should be in the contract somewhere. Also, is the cap that is changing from 15GB to 10GB on regular products going to change for NBS too? This would be another difference between the two.

There is a difference between 3's contract with Government and 3's contract with user. They don't match.

UPDATE: Bought a NBS contract in 3 store today. No problems whatsoever. 12 month min contract. Usage cap being increased to 25gigs in July according to assistant. :D

12 month min contract.
    I can get a rolling 30 day contract if you already have a dongle.

UPDATE: Bought a NBS contract in 3 store today. No problems whatsoever. 12 month min contract. Usage cap being increased to 25gigs in July according to assistant. :D

Have you a written contract that says NBS on it?

Or does it talk about NBS and say in fine print "3's Standard Terms and Condtions apply" ?

• Advertisement

Have you a written contract that says NBS on it?

Or does it talk about NBS and say in fine print "3's Standard Terms and Condtions apply" ?

" Tariff : NBS broadband"
    " I accept the terms and condtions of the 3 services, including the summary key terms below, and the terms of the price plan applicable to my tariff."

Advertisement