Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your options if you want to buy and don't have the deposit?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

when we split i had nothing to show for it,

Yes you do. You are not in negative equity, which you probably would have been had you bought 6 years ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

What do you expect? Your question was beyond stupid. Thank god you and your friend are a dying breed.

See. you know everything.
    You assume you know about me.
    Well done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

D3PO wrote: »
    fact of the matter is it is that black and white. Your friend could live in cheaper accomadation if he wanted to FACT and if your telling me theres nothing else he could cut down on to save then your the one not being realistic not me.

Agree with you D3PO :)

I rent too and I manage to save several hundred every month even after having a few luxuries and I ain't on a big wage.

I already have a big deposit ready through hard saving over the last few years, thing is some people are not prepared to sacrifice their lifestyle over a couple of years to get that deposit together.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

gurramok wrote: »
    Agree with you D3PO :)

I rent too and I manage to save several hundred every month even after having a few luxuries and I ain't on a big wage.

I already have a big deposit ready through hard saving over the last few years, thing is some people are not prepared to sacrifice their lifestyle over a couple of years to get that deposit together.

hopefully you will find it all worth it when you eventualy buy. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

hopefully you will find it all worth it when you eventualy buy. :)

And you know what, that deposit I have saved can also be a rainy day fund if life turns upside down as none of us know what is around the corner(loss of job, illness);)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭billybigunz

amiable wrote: »
    See. you know everything.
    You assume you know about me.
    Well done
    You are looking to buy at all costs without any deposit just like your friend. What more do I need to know.

You are looking to buy at all costs without any deposit just like your friend. What more do I need to know.

I'm not looking to buy.... See you are so wrong....
    I have a beautiful home..... U are excelling yourself here....
    Again well done!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭billybigunz

I'm not looking to buy.... See you are so wrong....
    I have a beautiful home..... U are excelling yourself here....
    Again well done!
    I am just wondering if anyone can comment on what the options are for someone in my situation. I am wondering if there are any other options for someone that can get a mortgage, in full time employment but does not have a deposit?

Well done indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

Hi All,
    I am just wondering if anyone can comment on what the options are for someone in my situation. I earn just slightly over the threshold to qualify as a single applicant for the affordable housing scheme and as such that option is out. I am wondering if there are any other options for someone that can get a mortgage, in full time employment but does not have a deposit?

Is rent to buy the only option?

*BLINK*

*BLINK* *BLINK*

You can't save a deposit but want to buy property in a falling market.

Do you read the news at all???

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Because anything much cheaper in the area isn't as nice and he and his wife have 3kids.
    If only things were that easy

It doesn't have to be as "nice" does he want to buy a house or have "nice" rented accommodation.

If you make poor family planning decisions then sometimes you have to pay a little price, that price could be having to *GASP* kids sharing the same room for a time until the deposit is saved.

We're too easy to find the way not to do here instead of finding the way to do

But it's not as nice

But i want to live close to the city

But..But...but

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

Home ownership isnt a right its a privledge.

The most important sentence that this country forgot over the last decade.
    I'm getting a t-shirt with this on it. :D

I might spell it right though...

ntlbell wrote: »
    It doesn't have to be as "nice" does he want to buy a house or have "nice" rented accommodation.

If you make poor family planning decisions then sometimes you have to pay a little price, that price could be having to *GASP* kids sharing the same room for a time until the deposit is saved.

We're too easy to find the way not to do here instead of finding the way to do

But it's not as nice

But i want to live close to the city

But..But...but

All of you seem to think its just as simple as a bloke wanting what he can't afford and as regards 'but but but' and 'it is black and white' you couldn't be more wrong.
    He's a hard working man providing honestly for his 3kids one of which happens to be disabled and is the main reason along with 1200euro rent each month he hasn't got his deposit together yet.
    You should all be ashamed so called experts on every family situation being black or white.

If you make poor family planning decisions then sometimes you have to pay a little price

You've just broken the taboo (albeit off topic). Fair play.
    People have been and are procreating beyond their means.
    I find this wholly irresponsible.

All of you seem to think its just as simple as a bloke wanting what he can't afford and as regards 'but but but' and 'it is black and white' you couldn't be more wrong.
    He's a hard working man providing honestly for his 3kids one of which happens to be disabled and is the main reason along with 1200euro rent each month he hasn't got his deposit together yet.
    You should all be ashamed so called experts on every family situation being black or white.

You realise that if someone buys without a deposit currently, they will immediately be in negative equity?

P.

oceanclub wrote: »
    You realise that if someone buys without a deposit currently, they will immediately be in negative equity?

P.

Read through again
    Haven't said anything about having no deposit

Read through again
    Haven't said anything about having no deposit

I'm going by the title of the thread.

If you're talking about another topic, create a new one.

P.

oceanclub wrote: »
    I'm going by the title of the thread.

If you're talking about another topic, create a new one.

P.

No i'm not but u quoted me. read it thru and you'll see its the same topic.... another so called expert.... congrats

your talking complete and utter nonsense.

What has him been hard working got to do with not being capable of finding cheaper accommodation ?

what has one of them been disabled got to do with it?

If he wants to save for a deposit and can't because of his current rent when rent's are dropping through the floor and he's not capable of finding somewhere suitable yet cheaper.

Is it really such a difficult thing to do?

Point him to this thread.

I'm sure we can help him find suitable accommodation for much less than he pays now.

if we can't, I'll be ashamed of myself.

Hows that?

your talking complete and utter nonsense.

What has him been hard working got to do with not being capable of finding cheaper accommodation ?

what has one of them been disabled got to do with it?

If he wants to save for a deposit and can't because of his current rent when rent's are dropping through the floor and he's not capable of finding somewhere suitable yet cheaper.

Is it really such a difficult thing to do?

Point him to this thread.

I'm sure we can help him find suitable accommodation for much less than he pays now.

if we can't, I'll be ashamed of myself.

Hows that?
    Because the house he has suits the disability and he also has alot of extra expences because of this

No i'm not but u quoted me. read it thru and you'll see its the same topic.... another so called expert.... congrats

Right. I read your post. You're saying a mate is having a problem getting a deposit together.

So what's your point?

P.

• Advertisement

Because the house he has suits the disability and he also has alot of extra expences because of this

What's the disability?

What's the disability?

Autistism but i hardly think that needs to be debated in here....
    That would only open up another can of worms....

Autistism but i hardly think that needs to be debated in here....
    That would only open up another can of worms....

Why would the type of house affect autism?

Why would the type of house affect autism?

Believe it or not the garden. Their boy needs the garden and he loves being outside. Also hates change so moving house several times wouldn't help. As in moving to a cheaper smaller house to save and then to move again when house is bought. Lots of other little things u wouldn't believe.
    Its not easy

Believe it or not the garden. Their boy needs the garden and he loves being outside. Also hates change so moving house several times wouldn't help. As in moving to a cheaper smaller house to save and then to move again when house is bought. Lots of other little things u wouldn't believe.
    Its not easy

I don't see why moving to a cheaper house would automatically mean losing the garden, see this is what I mean, instead of finding a way to do it, your looking at the reasons you can't.

No one likes changes autism or not but change happens all the time, You deal with it, people with autism deal with it.

I'm very familiar with the difficulties of autism, but again, it's not really an excuse in this case.

I don't see why moving to a cheaper house would automatically mean losing the garden, see this is what I mean, instead of finding a way to do it, your looking at the reasons you can't.

No one likes changes autism or not but change happens all the time, You deal with it, people with autism deal with it.

I'm very familiar with the difficulties of autism, but again, it's not really an excuse in this case.

Lots of different forms of Autism and your statement clearly proves you are not 'familiar' with it.
    Conversation over seeing as i'm dealing with ignorance

Lots of different forms of Autism and your statement clearly proves you are not 'familiar' with it.
    Conversation over seeing as i'm dealing with ignorance

There is, but life changes, things change all the time.

What do you suggest?

never move never change anything?

I don't think it's me that's ignorant of it.

What's the kid going to do? sit in the garden for the rest of his days?

will they go to school?

Change.

will they then have to move schools.

Change.

Yes there is lots of forms of it, but change happens in everyone of their lives and they deal with it.

in most cases change is part of what helps them grow and getting used to change.

:rolleyes:

I have read your posts and I don't see the problem bar the timeframe.

Your mate can only save a certain portion due to commitments.
    His kid doesn't like change.
    Your mate continues to save for a deposit and eventually gets there and buys a house.
    His kid only has one change of location.
    It may take a bit of time but bar that is there an issue?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭gucciali

Many people in the past have taken a loan from the Credit Union (not affiliated to the Irish Credit Bureau) to cover the cost of the deposit.

yes , but doesn't this look bad for you as you would then hav a 25 k debt going into a bank loking for a mortgage :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

and people on here blame the government, banks and the builders?

Advertisement