Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Past/Current Students- would you recommend DIT

Options
  • 11-05-2010 3:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭

Simple question regardless of what course you did.

Would you recommned DIT 36 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 36 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Sútalún

It's not simple because it's dependent on the course. I've attended two of Dublin's big colleges and let me tell you honestly I hated one and liked the other. I like DIT, but I don't think I'd like it if I was doing a course I didn't like.

So I'd recommend DIT for the course I'm doing in the same way I wouldn't recommend the other college for the course I did (not to say no one would enjoy it, just wasn't for me).

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Penisland

Sútalún wrote: »
    It's not simple because it's dependent on the course. I've attended two of Dublin's big colleges and let me tell you honestly I hated one and liked the other. I like DIT, but I don't think I'd like it if I was doing a course I didn't like.

So I'd recommend DIT for the course I'm doing in the same way I wouldn't recommend the other college for the course I did (not to say no one would enjoy it, just wasn't for me).

Ye I agree with you but I just wanted an overall perspective given there are hundreds of courses and therefore thousands of opinions!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Yes with a but, no with a maybe.....

Some pretty obvious pros and cons to studying at DIT.

Pro: Small class sizes, location makes it accessible to get to.
    Cons: No campus, no campus pub etc.

Pros: Some great lecturers
    Cons: A lot of brutal lecturers

Biggest con of all is that the whole administration side of things is a joke. The communication within the college is ridiculous and the lack of common sense is at times mindboggling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

No, the College is basically a hack. No wonder DIT can't seek University status, the place feels like a secondary school most of the time. The Admin really don't give a toss considering it's a civil service job. Accountable to nobody but themselves.

DIT--

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Sútalún

Penisland wrote: »
    Ye I agree with you but I just wanted an overall perspective given there are hundreds of courses and therefore thousands of opinions!

Fair enough.. Well the big thing that DIT has going for it is small class sizes and for that reason I'd definitely recommend it. Small classes make a massive difference in college, I can't state that enough. From my experience the lecturers have been hit and miss though, much like in most colleges. So I feel it's very difficult if not impossibly to come to a unanimous decision.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭neil_18_

The lecturers I have are brilliant.

When i was in school we had a great connection with the teachera to the point where we knew everything about their personal life. When i left school i thought i'd never get that in college...

How wrong was I! The lecturers are so sound its unbelievable. They are extremely easy to talk to and to approach. None of them seem to have any sort of ego or any air of arrogance about them. Sure while i was waiting for the bus today one of them spent 20minutes chatting with me!
    I know so much about their personal lives at this stage you'd swear i was a stalker. They're not afraid to open up.

As for administration i'd agree with the other posters. They're lazy and incompetent. Thank God i never seem to have to go near them.

But small class sizes are great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Cheeky monkey

shoutman wrote: »

Biggest con of all is that the whole administration side of things is a joke. The communication within the college is ridiculous and the lack of common sense is at times mindboggling.

I actually see that as a kind of pro. If it was a massive campus like UCD I think it wouldn't be half as social and you can always find your friends. Just visiting bolton street last week I met like 3 of my friends randomly in the space of 10 minutes.

The main huge con for me so far in my first year in DIT has been webcourses!!! Then the accounts office they got confused because 3 people had the same name...... Come on like..........

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

every college is the same tbh... DIT isnt a huge exception.... the admin can be messy at times... I think the distance between campuses and the lack of centralised admin effects that tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 33 pugsymalone

DIT News reporting today that "82% of students would recommend DIT to a friend" based on 1600 students voting. So at 70% Boards isn't that far off - even though Boardsies mainly come from Kevin St and are notoriously bitter because they'll never have a girlfriend :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭mark renton

neil_18_ wrote: »
    Sure while i was waiting for the bus today one of them spent 20minutes chatting with me!
    I know so much about their personal lives at this stage you'd swear i was a stalker. They're not afraid to open up.

pretty sure you wont find that coming in useful in exams next week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 Argesean

I agree with what's been said earlier- I would not recommend DIT for my course which was Auctioneering, but other students from different courses seem happier. I would also not recommend the Bolton Street Campus- very outdated, poor facilities( you're better off crossing the street to the pub for the bathroom) and crappy library( great library staff). The Aungier Street Library is miles better.The pub across the street is handy though.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭starfish12

i think your opinion is totally influenced by the course but also the campus, as there is a HUGE difference between things in Kevin St. and Aungier St!!

Small class sizes really can't be underestimated tho, it really helped me when it came to looking for work after college, personal connections are hard to come by in some of the larger institutions

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

Most of the DIT campuses are a bit like your name, OP: ne'ery a woman to be seen.

Aungier St, however, is full of the fairer sex, and represents the greatest concentration of absolute rides in the one place that I've ever seen

• Registered Users Posts: 33 pugsymalone

As a Bolton St attendee I'd agree with the last post. But to be practical Cathal Brugha St is closer, is 80% women, and the canteen there gives much bigger portions:D

Mountjoy Square is also good, but the women are a bit arty and don't really seem to go for engineers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

shoutman wrote: »

This basically sums it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭GarethWA

El Tarangu wrote: »
    Most of the DIT campuses are a bit like your name, OP: ne'ery a woman to be seen.

Aungier St, however, is full of the fairer sex, and represents the greatest concentration of absolute rides in the one place that I've ever seen

Visit Rathmines! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭ShamrockGirl

I would definetely recommend DIT to people. All of the above comment do sum it up pretty well.
    I'm a student in Mountjoy Square, Early Education and we don't get much recognition in our college because it is mainly Art students, we only make up a small proportion of the college. Hence for this reason a lot of activities at lunch or evening are pitched at art students.

The lecturers are great and easy to communicate with. They don't appear superior to the students at all. They will help with anything that we don't understand, move lectures to suit the students and lovely people in general.

Yes the different campuses annoyed me at the start of the year but over the year I have spent much time in Mountjoy square, Cathal Brugha st and Bolton street and have met so many different people from different backgrounds. This is a key thing in DIT, though different events or activities. However I think the Students Union Should promote this more because I really enjoyed DIT once I got to know people on the other campuses.

Major thing ''Join Societies'', not just to learning new skill, but the fun and enjoyment you get and meeting so many people.

Every College is the same with the flaws/cons but it is our responsiblility to change them into opportunities to make the best of our time there. You picked DIT because you wanted to be there so make it worthwhile!!

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Penisland

El Tarangu wrote: »

brilliant :D

Advertisement