Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Removing Mildew on Curtains?

Options
  • 11-05-2010 3:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 765 ✭✭✭

Firstly, apologies if this is the incorrect forum for this!!

Does anyone have any advice on removing mildew from curtains? It has started to grow on the lining of my dining room curtains, most likely as the patio windows behind them are damp very often.

Obviously I do not want to ruin the curtains so bleach is out of the question. I remember being int he dry cleaners once when someone came in with a similar problem and they were told they couldnt get mildew out, so that option is out also.

Any suggestions would be very grateful!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,433 ✭✭✭✭looksee

As the dry cleaners said, it cannot be removed. Afaik mildew (blackish marks) is actually damage to the fabric - I have the same problem with a set of very big curtains that will have to go!

You might consider getting them re-lined?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 765 ✭✭✭yungwan

Aw crap! This is not what I wanted to hear!! :)
    I cant believe that. I really didnt think it couldnt be removed!
    I bought some kind of mildew removing spray in lidl which can be used on fabric as a prestain. I will try that before washing and see how I get on.
    Fingers crossed! :(

Thanks for the reply, Ill let you know how I get on.
    I really hope I dont have tp get rid of them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭tiocimarla

If getting rid of them is a last resort.. just before you do, Get your hands on a steam cleaner. Iv seen these remove lots of stains on fabrics. The only thing is there is a possibility it might damage them depending on the material. Use this as a last resort.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭branners69

For what it is worth, I had problems with mildew on rollerblind around the house. I bought Dettol Mildew Remover and sprayed them in the bath. I didnt need to rub or touch them and they came up brand new looking. Might be worth a shot??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 765 ✭✭✭yungwan

Well I had a lazy housework weekend (in that I got my boyfriend to help me out!!) and didnt feel like doing the curtains. SO maybe this week Ill get on to them. i will definately try that mildew spray. Thanks branners!

• Advertisement
Advertisement